Hunting Snacks ??

Pb&j has stick with you power. Poptarts are a must.

My job has me more isolation than hunting and has 15-20 minute intervals of intense physical activity. I start my day with a Pb&j samich on wheat and that can last me for 5-6 hours.

Normally I take with me a full hydration bladder of water during bow season, or a hydration bladder full of black coffee during the end of gun season, trail mix, deer jerky and at least a couple cans of snuff. I can do without most of he other stuff, as long as I have water, snuff and jerky.

I used to carry a bag of Gator nuggets when hog hunting but they gave Me gas & its hard to hunt when your laughen like a fool.

Thats funny right there & TRUE!!!:eek::D:D

Wow, you guys have certainly opened my eyes. All these years all I've taken to the woods in the morning is coffee, and sometimes a banana. In the afternoons the most I'll ever have is water. Obviously I have to rethink my hunting preparations.:D

I've taken lots of diffrent things in the woods over the years. Jerky (venison or Jack Links) is always prime, so are slim jims. The small peanut butter and cheese crackers are good and walmart/sam's club trail mix comes in a wide varity for minimal cost. There's almost always a Mountain Dew in the daypack or coat pocket.

Anymore I don't eat much during the day even on work days. Sometimes my first meal of the day comes at 4 or 5 o'clock. So spending a day in the woods without food isn't much of a big deal and I rarely take munchies anymore.

On a side note I worked with a guy and we were both trappers. He had a partner at one time but it didn't work out. Everytime he turned around his partner had his fingers in the bait. Sardines. :D

LK

Going that long w/o eating is very bad for you killkenny.

I did that for years, without going into detail, its just bad. Just helping you out.

Ghosts of the past !!

I've been wanting to convert some of my jerky into pemmican.
Whoa, haven't gone thar, for a long time. Use to make it a long time ago and it was mighty tasty. Packed it in an old snuff can and would pick it out, just like snuff. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/iss/oh.html

These are the best I've found. We buy them by the box to get discounts and use them for meal substitutes. They are loaded with protein and are very nutritious. Not just a candy bar. They are very tasty. Many of the protein/energy bars I've tried taste awful. Very often I use 1 bar to substitute for 1 meal a day.

I usually drink my coffee on the drive to the hunting area. In my pack is usually 4 to 6 20oz bottles of water, maybe a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, a sleeve of saltine crackers and a small bag of corn chips. Can always light the corn chips to start a fire in an emergency.

I just got back from 7 nights camping in remote Alpine country in Australia, deer hunting & trout fishing. We woke at 5 every morning & once the fire was going we'd all have coffee & muesli bars for breakfast. In our packs we each carried a bottle of gatoraide a couple more muesli bars & a couple of chocolate bars that would last us stalking all day until we returned to camp around 3 every afternoon. We'd cut firewood for half an hour then put on the roast vegetables in the camp oven & BBQ some sirloin steaks washed down with a fine red wine & a couple of beers, ready for the next day.

^^^I just got back from two nights driving through the Bronx/Harlem, NY area in a 53'er drinking Gatorade , eating pretzels and prayin my load didn't get hijacked....somethins not right with this picture.:rolleyes:

You guys are amateurs.

One buddy of mine, (he was about 20 years older than I, but we were great hunting buddies) always packed a nice lunch for the both of us to eat on the tailgate of the truck during the lunch hour. Generally, it was something like ribeye steak, sliced thin and served on a hard roll, with steamed asparagus warmed over a small campfire. A variety of sliced cheeses as palate-cleansers, along with either coffee or tea, depending on weather.

Nowadays when I'm hunting with the grandkids, I generally carry in my hunting sack a big bag of trail mix, along with beef jerky. Our lunch break is a variety of cold cuts with good bread and soda from the cooler. If we're going to the camp for lunch, then we'll generally make biscuits, grill sausage and chicken on the wood-burner and if we're lucky one of the ladies will make a white gravy. We can always count on Bobby to have a pot of beans on the fire. Sometimes I'll drag out the Dutch oven and make a beer bread to go with the beans.

When you're hunting, there is no reason to eat like a starving hippy.

Life is never fair but pretty darn good !!

somethins not right with this picture
Well, come to Iowa as I just pulled a batch of of Spring-Bullheads, out of the smoker. These might keep the Ganstas away for a couple of days. The neighbors know when I smoke these as the smell lingers. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

If its a multiple day escapade we are after I will have to ammend my rations. I hunt with one of my buddies and we usually hunt coyote, opossum, and other small pests. We pack a 6pack of ramen each, 1 gallon of water per day, whatever coldcuts are on sale at the grocery store, and a loaf of fresh baked bread from the bakery dept of tge grocery store... Workin at the grocery store sure has perks to it :cool:

Last edited:
Back