Hunting season already over!

taylorce1

Well Tuesday night honey do's list wasn't very kind to me, I waited 9 years to draw an elk tag and I have to turn it in real quickly so I can get my points back to use for next year. Anyway I fell about 15 feet from a ladder replacing a window screen on a second story window. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Just arrived via ambulance at local ER waiting on X-rays.
1443774364.jpg

X-rays, I'm no Dr but even I can read these!

1443786587.jpg

1443786650.jpg

1443786616.jpg

One more ambulance ride, and a quick surgery my leg is now in traction. Swelling has to go down before they can try to put my leg back together. Looks like I'll be out of work at least 6 months.

1443774320.jpg

That hurts just to look at the photos. At least the timing made it possible to salvage preference points to use next year.

Salvaging points is the least of your worries......You aren't going to be doing any serious hiking again once the plates and screws are all in and some bones fused.

That does not look like you can just "tough it out". Bummer! Heal up and give it another go next year!

If the doc's do a good job of setting and pinning the broken bones, and everything heals up you should be good to go next season. Really tough to have an accident like that anytime, Taylor. Hoping you get everything back in working order!

Upside---now you have time to post here more! Always enjoy your comments.

Oh no! That looks all too familiar. A pilon fracture, a surgery to install an external fixator and at least one more surgery coming. Sorry about your season. You will be able to tell when a low pressure is coming but you'll be ok if you want it bad enough.

Be sure to get some Lovenox to prevent clotting and try not to use too many opiates before your next surgery. Using the minimum amount pf opiates will be very helpful. A muscle relaxer might be a good idea for immediately after your next surgery.

I really appreciate all the prayers and well wishes, and hope they keep coming. Talked with the orthopaedic surgeon today and a full recovery isn't probably in the cards. They think the best option is to fuse the ankle to prevent arthritis and long term chronic pain. So running a mile or a marathon for fun is probably not in my future, but I should have decent mobility without needing a cane or crutches which is the good news. I'll probably need to loose that weight I always thought I should but never got around to as well. It definitely wasn't bad news and I'm grateful and blessed for that, but it never is the news we want to hear.

Try not to let it get you down buddy. You will be up and running on all 8 before you know it....
Doctors can do wonderful stuff now with the technology they have...hate to see ya this way.

Back