Hunting Rifles: What is Your Ideal 4 Rifle Battery?

I already have the 4 that I feel are totally appropriate for all my hunting needs

22lr Marlin Model 60 for squirrels and other small game
223 AR with a 24" heavy barrel for prairie dogs and because it's darned fun
308 Browning BLR with iron sights is my woods gun for deer
300 WSM Savage Model 11 for elk and anything else that's big

I feel very well equipped with these 4.

17HMR (Longer range then the 22LR)
243 (Good for varmint and deer)
35 Remington (Good for heavy brush)
12 gauge (Good for birds and small game)

This should cover everything here in Ohio.

Jim

22 LR Ruger 110 round mag
22/250 24 inch heavy rem
308 Remington 700
300 winchester magnum
This will take out every thing in north America and the world with proper shot placement from 10 yards out to 700 yards from squirrel to hog to bear to buffalo and elephant closer ranges proper placement 300 grain berger

22LR Small game
223 Varmints
30-06 Darn near everything else.
Since it's for NA, I'll go with a 375 H&H. If Africa were included I'd say 458 Win Mag.

The 338 Win Mag would be a contender, but IMO if it's too big for a 30-06, it's time for a BIG bullet.

If I could only keep four for hunting...

.22 lr bolt action or semi (or if you prefer, .22 mag or .17 hmr, as long as you've got a good rimfire)

.223 bolt action

.270 win bolt action- hoping to buy one of those this weekend

12 ga. pump action

Nothing here in the southern Appalachians stands a chance against that battery and good marksmanship. And I'm also covered for anything in North America as long as I'm not hunting the largest brown bears (which I don't see happening on my hunting budget)

22 rimfire....small game, plinking, target
243 Winchester (only because 6MM Remington ammo isn't always easy to find. Especially in lighter bullets)....Varmint to deer
7MM Remington Magnum....Deer to Elk, Moose, Bear. Ammo very common.
375 H&H....For anything the 7MM Remington Magnum wouldn't do....Ammo available world wide.

What do you say when we hit 75 or 100 postings we figure out what the concensus is and find out what the 4 best really are ??? Is that a good idea it would give a beginner something to strive for! !!!!

Back