Hunting Rifle and Caliber - Disabled

That was a very good deal there might be more during income tax refund season. It definitely has some authority, maybe the .25-06 would be better it doesnt quite have the zap of the weatherby but the animals cant tell the difference. Go with what your'e confident in
Good ole tax season. Uncle Sam eats my lunch. I wish he would leave me the money to spend on a nice rifle.

I read this whole thread and it's as if the .270 win has died?

The .270 with a 130 gr Partition is flat shooting and a common elk Rifle in Colorado. I have elk hunted Colorado over a dozen times. My parents live there, I lived there for a while too.

Here were the common elk rifles by guys who bagged them regularly, including me.

300wm
7mm mag
270 win
30-06
338 win mag (a few)
7x57

300 yards is a good limit, and the maximum point blank on a 130 gr Partition is about that far.

With your disability, the 7 mag, 300 win mag, and 338 are out. But at 300 Yards, the 270 will allow you to just point and shoot. Plus, if you want to you can load 150 gr Partitions for some better knockdown power.

Whatever yu get, get something that doesn't need after market product's of reduced reciol loads. If Elk is on your adgenda, I'd first look at a 6.5CM or even 260 Rem. If you reload I'd start with the 260 Rem. A 130gr bullet will work very well on even an elk and there's also 140+ gr bullet's.I have shot two elk with my 6.5x06 and 140 gr bullet, ripped the earth right out from under them. If elk is on the list, I wouldn't drop down so far as the 25-06. Problem for me is the bullet weight's. While killing elk isn't all that hard with a 25-06, it simply run's out of steam for me. Same with the 243 even to a greater extent, 243 is legal for elk hunting in Oregon. No doubt in my mind it would work but I have better.

If from the 26 cal you go up, the 270 can be problem for people with physical problems. Same with the 28's but the 7mm08 sounds t be very easy on recoil. Have head very few complaint's about it's recoil. Case size, think case size. 243, 260 and 7mm08 are all on the 308 case. I have read where the 6.5CM is on a 30 cal wildcat case but people say you can reload them with the 308 case also, I would not try it! Couple other's you might consider are the 6.5x55 and the 7x57. But for recoil I'd still go with a 250 cal.

I have the 6.5x55 right now and it is very comfortable to shoot. I've also had several 7x57 and they also are comfortable, for me that is, I don't have your problem. Strongly suggest you don't get some thing that may need after market items to control recoil and on't get something you need reduced recoil loads for. I don't know a lot about reduced recoil ammo but strike's me that if you have 270 using 130gr reduced recoil loads, if they make them, your way ahead of the game to simply get a smaller cartridge that use's regular factory. If you want a 30-06 but can't take the recoil, don't get reduced recoil loads, get a 308!

I don't know a lot about reduced recoil ammo but strike's me that if you have 270 using 130gr reduced recoil loads, if they make them, your way ahead of the game to simply get a smaller cartridge that use's regular factory. If you want a 30-06 but can't take the recoil, don't get reduced recoil loads, get a 308!

Don makes a good point here...... since you can already handle a .308's recoil, just get a hunting purpose 308. It is very versatile and has no problem dropping an elk.

I think sometimes folks try and reinvent the wheel with less common cartridges when the best solution is right in front of them.

Wyosmith suggested an auto loading .308.....I have an AR 10 with a muzzle brake. Between the recoil absorbing of the action plus the brake I can literally let it free recoil using just my hand on the grip!!

Put a 3x9x40 on it and you have a 300 yard deer/elk Slayer! And with your disability, an autoloader will help you not need to quickly work the bolt!

So, with all of the great information here I am thinking about just getting a HOWA barrelled action from Brownells and buying an aftermarket stock. Are those usually just drop in? I know that there are free floating, pillar, bedded, etc. I don't know how to do all of that, so I guess a smith would be the best route if I chose that?

Well, could not pass up on it. Bud's dropped the price again. Got a Savage 11 DOA in 6.5 Creed (thanks to the suggestions in this thread) for $276 after rebate with a Bushnell scope. Thanks everyone!!

Well, could not pass up on it. Bud's dropped the price again. Got a Savage 11 DOA in 6.5 Creed (thanks to the suggestions in this thread) for $276 after rebate with a Bushnell scope. Thanks everyone!!
Checked this morning and the price was back up to $560. Whew!!

Seems like the rifles suited for the big game you intend to hunt OP._ Minimum recoil poundage is in the neighborhood of 10-12 lbs. _It would benefit you because of a shoulder disability to hand-load your own cartridges._ Certain rifle Powders do have some forgiveness in regards to PSI /Cup pressures which has a effect on felt recoil.

As far as the 25-06 Rem._When hand loaded it can achieve {nearly and in one case betters} the velocity in certain weight bullets the 257 Weatherby uses.

25-06_is quite often re-guarded as the poor-boy's Weatherby. In saying that. The OP should have a idea as to what extreme velocity's a 1/4 bore 06 is capable of. As I recall as little as 25-fps to as much as 150-fps difference between the two in velocity in regards to the most popular bullet weighs used. (87 & 120s) And too having accuracy equal too and sometimes better than a 270 Winchester.

Frankly:
All this commotion over the newer 26 cal cartridges and their capabilities. Really!!? __I get a chuckle being a owner of rifle calibers on both sides of those 6.5s short throw bolt'ers.
{25-06 & 270 Win) Sporting Cartridges by design. Both American born with American parentage's been around a long time for good reason. "They shoot"

Can't say the same reputation will apply to those other two Russki offsprings? (Creedmoor & Grendel.) One last thing OP.

Its a fact. The bigger the caliber the better results you'll see when hunting Big Game. Especially so when it involves blood tracking in non-snow areas. Good luck with your choosing.

The .270 with a 130 gr Partition is flat shooting and a common elk Rifle in Colorado. I have elk hunted Colorado over a dozen times. My parents live there, I lived there for a while too.

I noticed the .270 didn't get much mention in the thread. My bud hunts with a Winchester featherweight loaded with 150gr bullets and it kicks as hard as my 30-06.

I ended up with 2 boxes of Remington Express 130gr bullets and shot a few from his rifle. Boy howdy what a difference from the 150s. If I had known a .270 was that pleasant to shoot I would have never wasted my money on a pip squeak .243. I gave him the left over rounds and its what he hunts with now.

7x?

A sweet outfit I've been using lately is a Contender rifle (22") in 7x30 Waters. Soft recoil and kills consistently at 200 yds. with Barnes 140gr TTSX.

noticed the .270 didn't get much mention in the thread. My bud hunts with a Winchester featherweight loaded with 150gr bullets and it kicks as hard as my 30-06.

The first hunting rifle I bought for my wife (and only hunting rifle) is a .270. I took it out, fired it prone, with 150 grain hornady factory ammo. It was quite unpleasant.
So I developed a hand load with the 130 partitions. I was able to safely achieve 3050 fps with H4831 SC, but it was a bit too snappy for the wife. So I dropped it to 2900 fps.

150 fps doesn't sound like much but it made all the difference to her. She can sit at the bench and with a sweatshirt on shoot 20 rounds without much discomfort.

This is what I suggest doing. Also, a .308 with 150 ground bullet does the same thing at factory velocity and will kill an elk.

I had a Savage model 16 in 6.5 CM that I used a lot for night hog hunting. When you add the night vision it starts to be a heavy package to haul around, but I did have the heavy barrel. It shot well, but I finally moved on to the same caliber in an AR platform.
I also bought a Ruger American, and absolutely love it for my hunting uses. I haul a rifle around with me in my truck every day, and they get beat around quite a bit. The Ruger really takes a beating and still shoots great. I have yet to try anything through it that won't do 1' or better at 100 yds., with no modifications to the rifle. Very light, ergonomic, with light recoil.
I manage some hunting properties that I'm out on every day and it has become a very useful tool. I've shot deer and hogs with it, and the caliber is great as far as I am concerned.
As far as I am concerned, the Ruger is light, recoil is light and performance is great. Not a beautiful wood stocked rifle, but very capable.

Check out a Marlin 336 levergun chambered for 35 Remington cartridge. It fires a 200 grain bullet at about 2100 fps that has a long reputation of effective lethal performance. Recoil is moderate. My Uncle Larry hunted with this rifle in Canada where he downed a moose and a large black bear. Countless deer were toppled with this classic hunting rifle. Uncle Larry willed this rifle to me and its a keeper!

Sighted in for three inches high at 100 yards places the bullet just a little high at 150 yards which is probably the maximum distance I'd consider taking an elk.

Jack

Alright, now (with all of the great advice) I have made my choice. Good elk and deer rounds for the 6.5? I went to Palmetto State Armory today and looked at the selection. A lot of match ammunition. I did see some 120 grain hunting ammunition, but I know I need something around 140 grains for elk.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...nition-65-creedmoor-143-grain-eld-x-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...n-65-creedmoor-140-grain-berger-vld-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...nosler-accubond-lr-case-of-200-10-boxes-of-20

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Nosler bullets, so I'd go for the Winchester/Accubond out of those, although I suspect they's all serve you well.

The first hunting rifle I bought for my wife (and only hunting rifle) is a .270. I took it out, fired it prone, with 150 grain hornady factory ammo. It was quite unpleasant.
So I developed a hand load with the 130 partitions. I was able to safely achieve 3050 fps with H4831 SC, but it was a bit too snappy for the wife. So I dropped it to 2900 fps.

150 fps doesn't sound like much but it made all the difference to her. She can sit at the bench and with a sweatshirt on shoot 20 rounds without much discomfort.

This is what I suggest doing. Also, a .308 with 150 ground bullet does the same thing at factory velocity and will kill an elk.
Mississippi is online now Report Post

Hey Miss. I like your thinking. If I had a 270 I would load it down to around 2800fps with 130gr bullets and have a pleasant to shoot deer killer. Contrary to what you may have read on internet forums 3000+fps is not needed to kill 150 pound deer. And where I live a 150 pound deer just might make the local newspaper.

I do something similar with the Remington model 7 I own. I have the older 18.5" barrel model with walnut stock and with a Leupold 2x7 on it it weighs 7.5 pounds. I have a load with 120gr Sierra bullets loaded to maybe 2600fps for a little girl who is 5'2" tall and maybe 100 pounds. But she has killed 4 deer so far with it. All one shot kills and never complains about the recoil. Thats because there is almost none to speak of. Those bullets were designed for specialty pistols like the T/C Contender and around 2200-2300 fps start velocity so at my higher speed they give very good expansion. Almost too good. But three of the 4 shots were pass throughs and the 4th was found in the gut pile. Nice exit holes too.

But this rifle loaded with full power 150gr loads is a whole nuther beast. It kicks. It kicks as bad as the Remington model 700 .308 carbine I had and stupidly sold without spending any real time with it. What I would give to have that one back.:mad::(

Hey Miss. I like your thinking. If I had a 270 I would load it down to around 2800fps with 130gr bullets and have a pleasant to shoot deer killer. Contrary to what you may have read on internet forums 3000+fps is not needed to kill 150 pound deer. And where I live a 150 pound deer just might make the local newspaper.

Yea....not to hijack this guy's thread.

But, I usually purpose build my rifles and hand loads. I personally have a relatively high tolerance for recoil, so I load the hottest and most accurate load I can for me in everything I shoot.

But I understand some people, for whatever reason, just will not tolerate it. And if you try and force them too, they will hate it, or perform poorly.

So like this OP said, he has a disability. So, figure out what you can handle but above all else, make sure you are having fun doing it.

Back