Hunting Rifle and Caliber - Disabled

I agree. What he said^^

Had a friend who lived in CO who tore out his shoulder a couple of times working in a auto service garage and found he could no longer handle his 300 Weatherby's recoil. So he bought a 257 roberts and been pleased with his decision having seen success taking elk and deer with the easy recoiling 257 Roberts.

I have heard good things about the .257 Roberts for deer hunting. I would just be concerned about the size bullets available in factory ammunition for elk.

Late to the party and I'm going to get chastised for this on this forum but I'm going to suggest in any ways. The .243 will work for Elk. The other caliber considerations offered here still require you to take a careful shot - to some degree all of them do.

That being said... when I bought my .243 I already owned a .270 and did not want to deal with an "odd" ammo. The .270 meant that I had a cartridge size up if I wanted to go bigger than Whitetail. If neither of these had been "on the table" I would have gone with the .257 Roberts. Truth be told when I bought my .243 I was having some issues with the .270 and thought it would have to be rebarreled though the issue ended up being scope related. I had chosen .257 as the rebarrel option and had picked up the .243 to tide me over while it was done.

I love the 257 Roberts, excellent deer and antelope round but too light for elk.

My wife is a disabled vet, after braking her back the Iraq war. She has three rods between her shoulder blade and doesnt have much upper body strength. And she cant handle any recoil at all.

She normally uses her 243 for deer/antelope but for elk, like the 257 is a bit light.

She loves the 6.5 CM. Has a RPR w/muzzle brake, and no recoil. But its a bit heavy for her, as a hunting rifle.

Then she started shooting my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. It too has a brake, she swears it has less recoil then her Model 70 243 and is much lighter.

The 6.5 CM with the 143 ELD-X Hornady is proving to be quite the exceptional elk round. But for the recoil shy, it needs a brake in the 6.6 lb RAP. The Predator also proved to be as accurate at her RPR, at 1/3 the price.

While I am not disabled, I took my hits over the years working heavy labor and ultimately ended up with a blown disk and a protruding one.

No more motorcycles (no so much the cycling but getting up on stands and a drop which happens time to time) , 25 lbs weight limitation if I want my back to last.

Bicycling is approved and I peddled a lot before, have to watch it now as I can get into serious trouble in the winter on my route.

I do the best I can with what I got handed. Others have it worse, I can at least manage most things using my brain and different approach over just using force.

I count myself fortunate, been enough times I could have been killed or severely injured.

If you go with Savage, consider a Boyds stock (other fits may be as good, just expeicened with the Savage fit)

Other than some rear tang relief the two I have were a perfect fit.

I think the plastic stocks are ok but I don't like the looks of them.

While I am partial to Thumb holes they have other types as well.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/

Check out the options, you can build quite a setup if you want.

Get the thickest pad they offer (couple of choices) and don't be afraid of the lightweight types.

I have one on a 30-06 (stock came with the receiver and I was after that stock type) with a Shilen barrel and its my most consistent shooter.

I just did some research on stocks. Pretty amazing how the line of the stock makes such a huge difference as well as recoil on the cheek making you flinch. What I was reading is that the sloped comb makes recognized recoil much worse. I owned a Savage in 7MM-08 a few years back and kicked like an old 30-06 I used to own. Just looked at the stock on the 16 and it is sloped. My HOWA is straight inline with the Hogue. Thanks for the information. That has to be a huge consideration.

Your welcome.

We all bring bits and pieces to the table and help others get where they might want to go.

After doing a lot of research on the Savage stocks, yet again I am drifting. It sounds like the Weatherby S2 has a great stock. I love the action on my HOWA, so I might be going with that. I want the Weatherguard, but I cannot find a 6.5 Creed in stock anywhere.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service. I had total shoulder replacement surgery and my shoulder is still bad. I am recoil sensitive as well. I have a Ruger ultralight 7mm-08 and manage the recoil just fine. The Savage with the rebate is a steal. Good call!

Recoil wise the 6.5 is very manageable. Even though I don't suffer from any injury, I have very bony shoulders. No extra padding to help, but I can shoot 50 rounds of 140gr bullets from my Savage 12FV and not feel any problems. Now, granted this is a fairly heavy varmint profile barrel so I can't directly relate to the effects of a lighter barrel, but I can tell it's still going to be pretty manageable. And, box stock I've even shot a couple of 3/8" five round groups out of it. But generally I can keep 5 shots in a 5/8" to 3/4" group no problem. Not bad for a $219.00 rifle and 63 year old eyes.

Just want to mention that Managed Recoil ammo is available for the .270 Win, which can be used when beginning to sight-in, but you need to check with 130 grain hunting loads, to assure correct zero.

The .270 Win is a great longer-range hunting cartridge and ammo is readily available about anywhere, including Walmart and Dicks. A great rifle is the Tikka T3 lite. The stock design minimizes felt recoil, but a thicker recoil pad might make it even better.

If your're looking at the vanguard s2 i highly recommend the .257 weatherby magnum or a 25-06 in a different gun. Theyre a dream to shoot, they shoot flat, and are proven elk and mule deer slayers. The ammo can be a little expensive for the weatherby. I have a 7mm-08 and full power loads are on par with .308 loads, i can hardly tell the difference when shooting them. A 6.5 creedmore would be a good choice but its trajectory is different, at 300 yards the .257 will have dropped less but after 600 yards the 6.5 will be above it. If you're into handloading you can the load smaller denser barnes bullets and push them faster for devastating effects. I wish you great success.

Well, I am kicking myself. Looked on Bud's last night and they had a Savage 11 DOA in 6.5 for $366 ($266 after rebate). Not back up to $540. As much as I like Weatherby and HOWA, I should have pulled the trigger.

If your're looking at the vanguard s2 i highly recommend the .257 weatherby magnum or a 25-06 in a different gun. Theyre a dream to shoot, they shoot flat, and are proven elk and mule deer slayers. The ammo can be a little expensive for the weatherby. I have a 7mm-08 and full power loads are on par with .308 loads, i can hardly tell the difference when shooting them. A 6.5 creedmore would be a good choice but its trajectory is different, at 300 yards the .257 will have dropped less but after 600 yards the 6.5 will be above it. If you're into handloading you can the load smaller denser barnes bullets and push them faster for devastating effects. I wish you great success.
I had a Vanguard in .257 Weatherby years ago, and it had some stomp.

That was a very good deal there might be more during income tax refund season. It definitely has some authority, maybe the .25-06 would be better it doesnt quite have the zap of the weatherby but the animals cant tell the difference. Go with what your'e confident in

Back