Hunting minimums and maximums

Small game I intend to eat - .22lr or .410 ga

Varmints - .22 lr up to .375 Ruger

Hogs - .223 up to .375 Ruger

Pronghorn/Deer - 6x47 up to .375 Ruger

Elk/Moose - 6.5X55 up to .375 Ruger

Black Bear - .243 Win up to .375 Ruger

Grizzly/Brown - .30-06 up to .375 Ruger

All of the above except small game with a .50 caliber Muzzle Loader as well as compound bow. I've killed a lot of varmints with whatever rifle I was packing at the time, no reason to worry about what rifle is or isn't in hand when a target of oppotunitiy arises. I'd even use the .223 for Deer and Pronghorn were it legal where I hunt. .375 Ruger is the largest cartridge I shoot as of right now but there is no top end as far as I'm concerned for most hunting situations.

How could you possibly, with a handle of "Jack O'connor," say your minimum for elk is not less than or equal to a 270???!!!

270 in 150gr has more energy than a 35rem in 200 gr ;)....so that that is LESS than a 270 lol

Coyotes: Minimum-.204 ruger, Maximum (in the Wyoming wind)-.325WSM!
Deer: Min-.243 win (smallest legal in WY), Max- .325 WSM (for now)
Elk: see "Deer"
Moose: Min.-.270WSM, Max.- see "coyote"
Grizz: Min.- .357 mag, Max.- see "coyote"

Guess you know what guns I have in my collection!:D

Aha! So not that blasphemous. I think a 35 Rem levergun would make a nice elk popper.

Not to start a larger debate that in forever on going on the marlin forum....

a 30-30win has more energy than the 35rem even though it's a larger boolit:o

Factory ballistics of course

How many would say that a 30-30 is inadequate for elk? lol

I would have zero issues with a 30-30 to 200yds given it was scoped and I knew my gun. There again, I have a 7mag if I ever decide I need an need to chase an elk.

*stir stir stir*

.338 Lapua :D I can't think of anything I couldn't hunt with that.

in response to the statement about old timers using sub par rifles and bows I think this is due the fact that it was more about survival than hunting. If your life depends on putting meat on the table you will be slightly less worried about making a shot that will drop the animal right away, and more worried about just making it recoverable. with most hunters ethics is the concern over survival.

Back