Hunting knives

An A.G. Russell lock-back folder, 2&3/4" drop point blade. Best damn knife I've ever used on deer. Some kind of Japanese steel,VG-10?,comes to mind,but, that knife stays SHARP! Anything heavy, like splitting, gets the Buck 110. Another very good knife.

Kershaw 'Wildcat Ridge' 3140 stainless lock back, 3.5" clip point for all field dressing, breaking down legs and skinning. Clip point is excellent for reaming the bung and getting under the skin of the legs to open them up. A few licks with the EZ LAP keeps it razor sharp and I like that there is not a chance of losing it while hiking when sheathed.

Henkel stainless 6" boner for breaking down quarters, backstrap and tenderloin.

For cutting steaks I use a knife with a thin 8" blade. The handle is ergonomically set above the knife edge. It is a bastard I picked up at the Goodwill or Starvation Army for a buck and it is my favorite knife in the kitchen.

Why guys insist on hacking through the pelvic bone is beyond me, except Elk size game. It is so easy to skin down to the tail and ream the bung. Cut the goozle and pull down the cavity, then pull the ahole through the pelvis - done.

A cheap $14 Mora knife I got from e-bay couple years ago.
For me it's the perfect knife for gutting, skinning, quartering deer and hogs.
That Swedish blade material is great!

Ontario SK-5

KI-1302-Blackbird-01-1024x621.jpg

I use and have used several. Favorite is a Buck 110 Ti my father bought me for Christmas years ago. I love that knife and it holds an edge.

Last year I used a Buck Maxlite Mini fixed blade I got from Buckmasters. Perfect size. Does not hold an edge as well as the 110 Ti but it is light and convenient.

Just got a new Bark River "Kalahari" semi-skinner in A2 tool steel. Beautiful, and a beast, too. 9¼" overall length.
The bullnose swell near the tip makes unzipping them easy, and without nicking anything you don't want to under the skin.

BRkalahariMark_zpse19a36fa.jpg~original

second comment

I weighed in earlier regards my favorite small fixed blades, the Buck Mini-Mentor and the USA Schrade 154's. They typically do all the work once the deer is on the gimble. But I've gotten away from carrying them in their belt sheaths, through the woods and up the tree with a climber. The knife sheath hangs in my harness now and again, and occassional snags the stand as well when I stand up.

What I've done for the past 5 years or more as a "carry" hunting knife is a full size locking Case Sodbuster. Just drop the thing in my pants pocket. Fairly sleek and easy to carry. It does any small chore I ask it, and will suffice for the occasional gutting (which I do not typically do on the spot). Stainless, flat ground blade. That helps, as the knife stays in the pocket while the pants hang out on the back porch all season. An old Schrade lockback (120?) was pretty rusty after a weekend of that.

The fixed blades come out once the deer is up and I'm at the shed.

Buck 110 and Buck 119. A folder and a fixed blade. Both serve their intended purpose.
Bought a 110 over twenty years ago, it rode on my hip in its leather sheath through high school and a few years after. Bought a new one last year, same knife, but not fond of the sheath, prefer leather.
Had the 119 for probably 18 years, it handles many jobs well.

If and when I skin and hang a deer, an Outdoor Edge Whitetail Skinner T-handle does the most work along with a golf ball, two sections of rope and an ATV.

I want a Puma White Hunter, just cannot justify the price they want for one.

To those who use folders, how does one clean all the blood out of them? Short of dishwasher on "pots and pans" ....

Quote:
Rinse in cold water. Real simple.

Quote:
Blood washes out easy, its the fat that is more difficult to get. But a minute or so under running hot tap water and it disappears. Wipe it down, maybe a drop of oil on the hinge and good for another hunt.

Dried blood doesn't simply rinse off in cold water ...... It takes some rubbing and a dab of soap to remove any fat (and the deer I shoot would generally be considered "obese"!) ...... you'd need a more than a brush to clean out a liner lock, I would think ......

I used a little BuckLite for everything from squirrel to whitetail for 20+ years, until I lost it in the woods a few years back. Broke my heart losing that blade as it was given to me by my father when I was 16.

For the past few years I have been using a miniature Kabar and a CRKT M16 folder.

A good friend is making me a new deer knife, but it wont be done yet this year

Back