Hunting knives

Been using a knife I made for years now. About 6" long overall. I like something short so I can reach one handed up to reach as far as I can when gutting. Drop point just enough to get under the skin. Osage grips with serrations filed in to keep a grip when all bloody. 4140 steel about 55 RC. Forgot my butchering stuff one year and cut up/deboned two deer in camp with no problem.

I prefer a fixed blade, full tang knife under 4" in blade length. I've been a bit of a high end blade steel snob but any steel from 440C stainless on up will do fine. Just depends on how often you want to sharpen it.

A good knife on the cheaper side is a Buck Alpha. Mine served me well for several years until I got bit by a Chris Reeves Nyala.

Schrade old timer skinning knife, and a Wyoming knife are what I carry in my pack. The Schrade has been sharpened more times than I can remember-still works great. The Wyoming knife has replaceable surgical steel blades (but I have yet to replace it).

i have several hunting knives including a 50s Morseth. My favorite knives are a Buck 102 and a G96 model 910: Either is capable of field dressing and skinn ing three or four hogs without sharpening. The Buck 110 is a good one.

I'm a knife junky. I have all sorts, all lengths and shapes. But I do 98% of my dressing and skinning with a little case stockman's knife that's always in my pocket.

In my younger years I did a lot of trapping and found the Case Trapper took care of anything The main blade on the stockman is the same as the two blades on the trapper.

I seem to be able to use small knives better and faster, even dressing elk. Of course you need a saw or ax to split the rib cage so you can get too everything, but after that the little case does the job.

This is the Case new, mine is a bit worn but still works great.

case%20pocket%20knife.jpg

Mini Mentor

I've grown partial to a Buck Mini-Mentor. That's a fixed 3-3/8" stainless blade, sabre pointed, rubber handled number, with a lanyard hole (very handy). I do not think they are produced anymore. The factory sheath is junk.

I also have some older USA Schrade 154OT's, (also no longer made) which are the drop pointed brothers of the swept point "sharp finger". The swept pointed "sharp finger" cut a bit to deep for me when gutting and splitting hide. But it was a good skinner after that. The 154 splits and opens better, and skins nearly as well. Lanyard hole on these little gems too. Carbon blade needs a bit more attention than stainless.

Finally, the Buck 112, the "folding Ranger" was a favorite too, But the two fixed blades above are lighter, yet one piece and stronger, and I've retired the old Ranger.

The Buck Mini-Mentor looks like it is distant kith or kin to the Schrade Sharpfinger .... the USA Schrade 154OT even moreso ......

I gutted a deer or two with a Sharpfinger (1980's) ...... good knife.

To those who use folders, how does one clean all the blood out of them? Short of dishwasher on "pots and pans" ....

Depends upon what you mean by "hunting knife" - gutting, just whatever pocket folder I have on me.

Skinning, I use a few with small blades - the KOA muskrat is good in this area.

Small neck knife for the theoretical cutting myself out of harness in the event of falling & hanging.

Cutco

I sent a Drop Point to my youngest and he says it's the finest he's ever used. I got a standard last year, but haven't been able to use it. Forever guarantee and they'll sharpen it for you.

Back