Hunting in brush heavy areas?

I used a Winchester 94 .30-30 in thick brush. It worked just fine. If your eyes are still good iron sights will do fine as well. If not I like the low powered weaver.

Black bear don't need the heavy hammer rounds like the .444 and .450.

If you opt for a bolt action, look at the Savage 11 light weight hunter in .260.

My brush gun is a dpms lr308 with a 16"bbl and a nikon monarch 1-4x scope. I have killed deer with it from 10-300yds and am happy with its perfomance. The only downside is it weighs in at 10lbs scoped.

My brush gun is my old Marlin 45-70, I'm a .270 win fan otherwise. It's a good caliber for not only deer, but it's a great elk round. Doesn't hurt if you come across the odd griz either.

The Remington 7 is a good rifle in brush. I have one in .308 and it is a great brush gun.

I think it would be hard to beat a 45-70 lever action.

I've shot deer from 5 yards to 450 yards with a 3-9X scoped bolt action in either .30-06 or .270 Win, but I've had lots of practice and experience in using scopes.

A couple of deer were running by at about 10 yards, but they didn't get away.

Scopes actually work well in wooded areas because you can see branches and stuff in the way much better than without. I've hit a few trees because I didn't have a scope.

It's essential to have the scope mounted so it comes into full-view every time, even when the rifle is mounted with hunting clothes on and your eyes closed, (then opened, obviously).

That means NO SEE-THROUGH MOUNTS, but a low-mounted scope at lowest power setting, and practice, practice, practice.

I have to agree with Picher. I have hit a lot of moving deer with a scoped rifle. I usually hunt in thick stuff too. I like a short tube scope with a fixed power and lots of light gathering ability. On overcast days, it can be dark in heavy brush. The problem with scopes is most people don't practice under "Real hunt" conditions. As Picher said, the scope should be brought up to your eye without thinking about it. Sitting at a range bench will not help much. When I started the X hunting, we worked at that. I put a scope on her .410 bolt action to hunt squirrels. When just sitting, she would practice getting on falling leaves (Without shooting). She actually got pretty good and started knocking deer down after that. Another thing is a gun that really fits, with a short barrel. Caliber does not matter so much, but I am a believer in "Brush busters". You can believe what you want, but I have "Killed" a few saplings and that bullet went straight through. My Buddy shotgunned a running deer one year and took off a sapling in front of it. He actually had pieces of wood in the deer.

25-75 yards and on target quickly for deer? Get a .30-30. Take the buckhorns off and put a ghost ring receiver sight on it. Try the new leverevolution ammo.

You will probably shoot a .30-30 more than a .444 or .45-70 so you will be better with it in a hunting situation. I don't know much about the .35 but it seems to me I see .30-30 ammo around more.

I believe anything besides a .30-30 for what you described is over thinking the question or making the answer more complicated than it needs to be.

For me I'll take my Rem Model 7 SS in 7-08 with Leupold 3-9 scope mounted as low as possible. For me it hits my shoulder and is perfect, no adjusting just right there, set on 3X it is fast and accounted for several very short range deer, aloowing me to pick a hole to shoot through if necessary and on occasion allowing me to reach out further when the opportunity presents itself. In the thick stuff the gloom persists longer and begins sooner and the Leupold on 3X really picks up the targets well.

Sounds like the perfect excuse for a marlin lever action. My go to deer rifle is my .35 Remington. That's what I would go with if bears aren't a problem. If so any of the marlin big bores would be fine.

35 Whelen. Mainly because I've wanted one forever, but it is a capable round for anything in North America and it comes in tons of bullet weights. From 200 up to 400grains.
Don't write off a 44 mag rifle. Those Ruger 44 semi auto carbines pack a serious punch and are super light. One of those with a 1-4x or 2-7x scopes would be about perfect for anything 125yards in. I prefer a scope just for the low light ability. I see half my deer in the 15 minutes before and after I can shoot with open sights or a red dot. Still legal times, but it sure gets dark quick in the thick woods. All that being said, my .270 and .308 have killed more deer inside 50 yards than out, both have 3-9x40 scopes. One is a model 70 carbine and the other is a model 700 youth adl. Both are the sane length and pretty light. But my next rifle will be the 44mag Ruger carbine.

Picher I've shot deer from 5 yards to 450 yards with a 3-9X scoped bolt action in either .30-06 or .270 Win, but I've had lots of practice and experience in using scopes.

A couple of deer were running by at about 10 yards, but they didn't get away.

Scopes actually work well in wooded areas because you can see branches and stuff in the way much better than without. I've hit a few trees because I didn't have a scope.

It's essential to have the scope mounted so it comes into full-view every time, even when the rifle is mounted with hunting clothes on and your eyes closed, (then opened, obviously).

That means NO SEE-THROUGH MOUNTS, but a low-mounted scope at lowest power setting, and practice, practice, practice.

+1000

I'll give you my New England choices. I hunt in most areas where my shots will be under 100yrd. If I'm certain it will be a close shot, I take my Marlin 1894 in 44mag with a 2x7 mounted scout style. Its fairly light and short. I notice my hunting partner constantly slinging his 270 bolt action while even on all day hunts. my 1894 can be carried one handed while I clear brush with the other. If I'm hunting areas where a 100Yrd+ shot may be possible, I go with my Remmington 7600 pump in 35 Whelen. As a previous poster stated, 35 whelen is a great round. My TC Encore shoots sub 1" at 150yrd with 200gr bullets. My 7600 isn't as accurate but it's certainly accurate out to 250 for deer. I would also recommend the Browning BLR in 358win. My only caution on that is that 358 seems to be in it's twilight. But man, what a rifle.

For reasons that escape me, 35 cal guns haven't really caught on. I don't know why. Both 358win and 35 Whelen are great rounds for and med to large north American game. You can get 2900fps with a 200gr bullet which replicates the trajectories of the more popular 30 cal Bullets. They hit like a hammer yet recoil isn't as bad as the magnums. So its good for deer, elk, moose, bear, hog. All out to the same ranges as any other round.

Last edited:
Too much

"Too much" scope is a hindrance in the brush. A low mounted, low powered scope with a visible reticle (not necessarily a duplex) is just as usable, and will allow shooting through holes as others have mentioned. It will also allow point counts when necessary, and allow more precision past 100 if necessary.

About the only time I've had a problem with a scope is when jammed with snow or ice or downpour rain, or a scope failure. I've also had a wee bit of trouble seeing to fine a crosshair against a dark animal in bad light. A German #1 installed by Leupold factory solved that issue.

I envy you guys, 75 yards max? In places, you can easily find a 500 yard shot here. Mine are mostly around 150 yards. For the 25-75 yards, why not a .357, .44, or .45? A good lever, NEF, or Circuit Judge fits the bill nicely. A .30-30 is a good round as well. I suggest not using LeveRevolution ammo in thick brush like someone had mentioned already. Use nothing but regular soft points. The LeveRevolution might do more damage but brush can stop it, that small limb in your way you didn't see will ruin your day.

Originally posted by WV_gunner:
I envy you guys, 75 yards max? In places, you can easily find a 500 yard shot here. Mine are mostly around 150 yards. For the 25-75 yards, why not a .357, .44, or .45?

This is why I like my 77/44 with the 2X7 Nikon. Light, fast and more than enough horsepower for deer up to 150 yards. Problem with areas where 75 yards is your max shot, you don't see the deer till they are right on top of you. You have to be ready at anytime, because if you're not, you'll get caught with your pants down. I envy you guys that see deer 4-500 yards out and have time to get the gun up and wait for the perfect shot instead of having to always have the gun at ready or risk not being able to move when that buck pops outta the brush @ 40 yards.

Any bullet can deflect. I would feel out of sorts using my 7mm Rem Mag in the brush but its a long gun and again in the butt to carry through brush.

A short barreled gun like a 45-70 would be a good option however. In a strong action like a Ruger No. 1, the 45-70 can be loaded mild to really wild.

The OP's description sounds a lot like where I hunt in Ohio.

An old 870 express with a slug barrel has worked for me these last 15 years.

To add on to what I've already said, a .45-70 would be a good choice as well. I have a NEF chambered in that and it's a great gun.
If you have the money and want something oddball, I bet the .338-06 would be a good choice too.

Back