HSC mauser compared to other 380's

The HK4 is a modernized copy of the Mauser HSc, not the Sauer 38H which, AFAIK, has not been produced or copied in the post-WWII era.

HK picked up the idea of the thumb lever cocking with the short lived P9S, so that part was also copied by HK. If my memor serves me right, Norinco had made a copy of the 38H that had been available in Germany for a very short while through Frankonia.

I know this is an old thread, but the newer HSC380's get a bad rap. Most if not all of the problems with the post war HSC 380's had to do with weak springs in the magazines. This caused FTF issues.

Wolf Springs makes replacements springs for circa $7 a piece that clear this issue right up. At least it did for mine.

Also as a side note to another comment, BATF prohibits the modification of any gun purchased under a Curio and Relics license.

https://www.gunsprings.com/MAUSER/HSc (EARLY MODELS)/cID1/mID40/dID171

UnitMaster ….Also as a side note to another comment, BATF prohibits the modification of any gun purchased under a Curio and Relics license.
Nonsense, there is no such regulation and never has been.
But an otherwise curio or relic firearm may be ineligible for such status if it is a military firearm and not in its original configuration.
Example: A Garand with a Tapco stock.:eek: But replace that Tapco stock with a correct Garand stock (even a reproduction) and it would be in its original military configuration.

What firearms are considered to be curio and relic firearms?
Curio and relic firearms are defined as firearms which are of special interest to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as a curio or relic, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

(1) Firearms manufactured at least 50 years prior the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

(2) Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

(3) Firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, or bizarre or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

ATF has recognized only complete, assembled firearms as curios or relics. ATF’s classification of surplus military firearms as curios or relics has extended only to those firearms in their original military configuration. Frames or receivers of curios or relics are not generally recognized as curios or relics.

Collectors wishing to obtain a determination whether a particular firearm qualifies for classification as a curio or relic may submit a written request for a determination to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch. ATF’s classifications of curios and relics firearms are published in ATF Publication 5300.11.

The 1968 Gun control act did NOT ban guns by caliber. While it was effectively a ban on a lot of small guns, it was not based on the caliber of the gun, but the size of the gun. Along with the "sporting purposes" clause, the GCA 68 awarded "points" to the gun based on the total of its dimensions. IF a gun didn't have enough points, regardless of caliber, it was not allowed to be imported.

The stated reason was to stop the "flood" of cheap, small pistols, aka Saturday Night Special. Couldn't do much about those made in the USA, but by gosh, we can keep foreign ones out!!... :rolleyes: (if I remember right, there were also rules about the metal used, frame melting point etc.)

The most famous example of this rather stupid regulation was it banned quality guns as well, if they were "too small", such as the Walther PPK.

The PPK, in ANY caliber, didn't score enough points to be imported, essentially because the grip frame was 1/4" too short to make the arbitrary import minimum.

Just another example of a gun control law claiming to do one thing, but also doing other things as well. Walter's response was to create the PPK/s which DID meet the import requirements.

There are no "banned calibers" in the GCA 68.

Yup, good memory for the most part.

Amazing how once upon a time small "cheap" handguns AKA "Saturday Night Specials" were once the problem as defined by BS criteria determined by our gun grabbing elected officials yet today price, size, and melting point doesn't matter. What matters today is another set of features along with magazine capacity and ease of mag changes.:rolleyes:

Another day and another approach to reach the same end.:mad:

The 1968 Gun control act did NOT ban guns by caliber. While it was effectively a ban on a lot of small guns, it was not based on the caliber of the gun, but the size of the gun. Along with the "sporting purposes" clause, the GCA 68 awarded "points" to the gun based on the total of its dimensions. IF a gun didn't have enough points, regardless of caliber, it was not allowed to be imported.

Funny coincidence, I was talking with a friend today about how beautifully made , though cheap to buy, Stars and Astra's were suddenly illegal after GCA'68 while today for cheap to buy we get zinc based alloy guns. For those without discernment I mean. So it solved nothing, as expected.

Amazing how once upon a time small "cheap" handguns AKA "Saturday Night Specials" were once the problem
And this reminds me of the Newsweek or Time article I read in the late eighties talking about "Saturday night specials". The writer mentioned something about Smith and Wesson, which he or she referred to as "The nation's leading manufacturer of Saturday Night Specials". I about gagged, some of the finest handguns made anywhere on Earth at any price were suddenly SNS's.

We are a great deal less tolerant of attempts to infringe now I hope.

Back