How to CCW a sword

Gunter

Living in Austria has the distinct advantage of knives and swords being completely legal to carry, with no difference made between open and concealed carry.

It is quite easy to CCW a 3" folder (appendix position, shirt folds loosely over it) or even a 4" fixed blade (SOB handle down, with cover garment). A 6" fixed blade can hide in a shoulder holster handle down.

But how about a really nice sword? Any ideas? Wouldn't want ot freak the natives on the underground (which, BTW, is quite safe to ride here).

Odd, but I'll play....

Seems your best choices would be a gladius or a katzbalger and an overcoat or trenchcoat. ;)

Weapons disguised as everyday objects are out. malum prohibitum. Guess I'll have to rent some videos and look at certain scenes in slow motion

Friend of mine has an oriental sword cane. Imagine a katana blade in a plain wooden "storage" scabbard and handle, but with the wood of nice grain, well finished, like a gunstock. Now there is a real concealed edge weapon.

Try to contact Mad Dog, use the private message feature, he has several knives and shortswords that will work well for you. He has some concealed carry gear that works well from what I have seen of it. His Panther is a large fighter (9inch blade I think) that comes with a novel concealed carry rig that, as I hear, works very well. He can steer you to some sites that will show some of his products.

I once saw this guy at a circus stick a sword down his throat.

No? Well now, I wouldn't suggest that you stick it...anywhere else...so if it's okay to carry it in the open, why don't you?

Ah, you don't want to freak the natives. I see.

Maybe you can disguise it as a cane, or something along those lines. Be creative.

Cheers. :D

Tamara is right as usual. I'd suggest the Katzbalger. Its fairly short but packs a wallop. The downside is the S-shaped crossguard will stick out, so try to get one that is flat or have one made. The downside of the gladius is the big pommell. For the record, as far as "stick" swords go, they are generally HORRIBLE. Mind you I'm talking about mass produced stuff and not stuff by a custom smith. If you're really serious, I'd go to a custom smith and have him make exactly what you want. As far a production swords go, you can't go wrong with Tinkerblades or Del Tin. Whatever you do, never buy any sword made of stainless steel...I feel like there is a lot of gaps here, how much do you know about swords and have you studied the use of a sword at all?

Dan

I have had some defensive knife training with Andy Stanford (will be doing some more when he comes back to Vienna in August), and am currently looking for some sword training (there is a basic fencing course starting end of february).

My interested was especially raised by the "samurai sword" thread.

There is a professional knife maker in vienna who also sells replica swords, I'll have to check it out.

Disguised weapons are out...

Living in Austria, you could probably get your hands on some "artillery sabres". -short swords for cheap. They're probably unidentifiable so you could always drop one and walk away if you ever needed to. Custom swords & knives are easily traceable.

Carrying concealed in the back would probably work best, I'm not sure if an 'up' or 'down' carry would be better.

You could concievable carry it wrapped up in paper as a parcel, almost like a "baguette" bread. It would probably be less-noticeable than inside your clothes and be faster to access.

*heh* Highlander.. always loved the "pull out a bastard sword from under a leotard" trick. First observation though .. just goes to show ya how arbritary some of these laws are.. in California, it's a misdimeanor to get caught with a hidden gun -- a felony if you get caught with a knife. :rolleyes:

Anyhow.. I think if I was gonna go armed all the time, discreetly, and had settled on a big knife/small sword to do the job, I'd get a relatively short, well-made (preferably custom-made) wakizashi and make some kinda shoulder rig for it. If that proved too much a hassle, prolly a bowie or Ka-Bar or som'n in a similar rig.

That said, half the time anymore I'm not carrying anything more dangerous than a Benchmade folder... although with a good carbine relatively nearby.

-K

Have you looked at Museum Replicas? I don't know what the import restrictions are, but they have some really nice swords, including the gladius and katzbalger, as well as a good selection of other swords.

Uh the Highlander thing won't work...

Unless you can yell Cut! and have a production assistant hand you the sword. thats how they did it:rolleyes:

The Highlander Thing.

Here's how they "supposedly" did the trenchcoat trick in the Highlander.

Most dressy topcoats have some sort of silk or polyester lining on the inside, to keep them from clinging to your sports jacket. On the breast pocket of the coat, cut through the lining, and slide a leather scabbard down into the coat between the outer fabric and the inner lining. Sew it in place. Then, the kitana must be drawn vertically from the breast pocket of the coat.

Now, I think that they actually attached some sort of plastic channel down the inside of the coat, so Adrian Paul didn't have to draw the sword. He could just pull the blade out the side of the channel. But, I'd follow the first method if I were going to conceal one myself. There'd be less chance of injury to self or garment.

Remember, don't try to conceal the blade on your body. Try to conceal it on your clothing.

Back