How to carry a baton?

When used against your opponent's joints (knees, elbows, etc.), batons are devastating weapons indeed. The "knob" at the end concentrates the force of the blow - making it extremely effective, even for people who might not be able to swing it with lots of force. It's certainly easier to carry and conceal than most any other impact device.

It's not legal to carry them where I live, so I don't do so, but wouldn't hesitate to carry one were it legal.

Only saw the tonfa in kung fu movies back in the dark ages. On permanent shore patrol I carried my 45 weak side and my nightstick strong side. Spent a lot of time in the paddy wagon going from point to point and taking the stick out and laying it on the seat was easier than taking my pistol out or trying to adjust the duty belt. I kept getting a lot of grief about it from my chief and some funny looks from the officers but nobody made me change.

My partner was a marine who was into karate and I was on the Navy boxing team so we used to drill with each other, anything I know about using a night stick I learned from him and I suspect he didn't show me everything.

Never carried a baton, but did carry a sjambok with me more than once. Never used it on anything but fierce dogs, and it worked better than anything else would have. It also is not considered an impact weapon, it will hurt like hell but will not kill anybody. I did see my friend, who was a major in the South African Police then, put his to good use more than once. A lot of people will dare you to shoot them, but very few would volunteer to be beat by one of these..;)

A lot of people will dare you to shoot them, but very few would volunteer to be beat by one of these..
Amen to that. I have one hanging on the pegboard in my shop and when questioned I tell them a little bit about its historical use and traditional material, (mine is some kind of hard rubber). One hard slap against the wall or on the bench wakes them up right nicely, never had to use it but I sure don't want anybody using it on me. I'd rather be hit by a 2x4. I have survived that a couple of times and its not fun but at least I was able to grab onto it and wrestle it away.

Back