How to carry a baton?

Beaninlv

Inactive
I personally carry mine on the front of my left hip (cross draw) i'm a righty. I just can't see why anyone would walt to carry it any other way, especially behind your weapon. Is it just me?

Well, I am simply a civilian but I have a decent amount of martial arts experience and I used to carry a baton every day...

I kept mine on my right hip because I felt it had a better angle to do so. I only had the ability to have a vertical hold. I kept it where the top was up and in sliding it up and out of the sheath I drew it back first. I felt most comfortable with that because a close quarter weapon being drawn across the body is slower and easier to stop as was learned in many sword arts. In martial arts period you should not cross your center line. Just my opinion.

The only disadvantage to crossdrawing an asp is retention.
However, I would rather have that taken than my firearm.
I know alot of LEOs that carry it crossdraw and honestly don't see a problem
with it. There is so much stuff on a duty belt that you have to put it somewhere and it helps to distribute the weight evenly.

Anyone wish they could still carry a 4 or 5 C/D cell Mag-Lite that could do "double duty?"

Last question first. No. Lithium lights are tops for the Harris and FBI positions.

And, more on topic with the origonal post, if you are not a LEO, why would you want one. Deadly force is deadly force, wheather by gun or club.

This comes from the veiw of an armed guard, and ccw. I can certainly see why a LEO would want one.

I personally carry mine on the front of my left hip (cross draw) i'm a righty.

The only disadvantage to crossdrawing an asp is retention.
:
Anyone wish they could still carry a 4 or 5 C/D cell Mag-Lite that could do "double duty?"

First, if you're carrying a baton, even a collapsable Asp-type, without proper training, stop now and get some training. It's dated, but look for The Koga Method of Baton Techniques.

Typical carry location is on the weak-hand side, just forward of the 3/9 o'clock position. This allows access to deployment with either hand, helps balance the duty-belt load and keeps the baton out of the way of the holster and weapon draw.

Next, stop thinking of the baton as a "cross draw" weapon. It's not necessary to use the baton that way. It can be drawn with the weak hand and still deployed smoothly. Or you can deploy it in CQB using the "short" end of the baton as a striking extension of your hand. Even when desiring a cross-draw, use the off-hand to push/extend the grasping end towards the strong hand.

The Asp is small enough to be drawn with the weak hand and deployed (extended) with either hand. One tactic is using the strong hand to wave, point or direct the subject whilst drawin the compacted Asp. Time permitting, it's passed to the strong hand and deployed when necessary. Some folks never even see it until it's deployed.

If you want a double-duty flashlight, order a multiple C-cell aluminum flashlight. These should fit in a baton ring just fine. Use a large (or x-large) rubber crutch-tip, cut out in the center, to slip over the body about 8-9" down from the flashlight head. This keeps it positioned like a baton and prevents accidental activation of the light.

I carry my baton in my right hand every day. I finally got to the point that a nice cane was helpful (not necessary) for anything more than 2- 3 blocks. It’s great; people have become very nice and almost respectful :). I strongly suggest it to any over the age of 60 or if you look like you’re over 60.

A baton?...like a night stick, or billie?... or a trunchion?.. why would a civilian carry such a device?

not to offend anyone... I'm just curious.

Glenn D.

Why does everyone assume that he's a civilian carrying an ASP and not a LEO just seeing how other LEO's are carrying their's on their duty belt?

I carry a ASP on my weak side about 9 o'clock. As Bill stated it can be drawn with either hand faily easy and helps even the weight on the belt.

Why does everyone also assume that a civilian wouldn't want to carry one?

If you can't (or won't) carry a gun, an expandable baton like an ASP is a good hand to hand combat multiplier, and certainly better than bare-handed, especially if you are threatened with, say, a knife or broken bottle

Problem is, if you aren't allowed to carry a gun, you usually aren't allowed to carry a baton either

better option

I carry a roll of quarters to do my laundry, if someone gets punched with it in my hand it is a weapon of opportunity.

The ASP baton is a great civilian weapon -- if it's legal where you are.

When compacted down, they measure less than 12" long. A sharp flick of the wrist extend the baton to something between 16 and 34 inches depending on model. Even compacted, it can be used as a strike weapon for close quarters.

It's amazing how deploying one can change the attitude of a group of loitering drunk troublemakers. Those things really hurt when you're on the receiving end too.

Why does everyone assume that he's a civilian carrying an ASP and not a LEO just seeing how other LEO's are carrying their's on their duty belt?
Because professional LEO's have much better resources than a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum. He or she has all the other officers in his or her department for starters. If he or she has questions about the proper way to carry and use this or any other piece of gear, he or she needs to do this within his or her own department.

Because professional LEO's have much better resources than a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum. He or she has all the other officers in his or her department for starters. If he or she has questions about the proper way to carry and use this or any other piece of gear, he or she needs to do this within his or her own department.

So we should all stop using this (and other firearm forums) for advice/BSing on/about our firearms and should only stick the local ranges and gunshops?

I wonder if most departments prescribe the position and manner to carry an impact weapon while on duty, and in uniform.

I personally dont like those colapsable batons. Refused to carry one. Didnt like the PR24's either.

COCOBOLO.... now ya talking. Off duty or in civies?.. Blackjack, or a slapper!

Ohh how I long for the old days...:p

So we should all stop using this (and other firearm forums) for advice/BSing on/about our firearms and should only stick the local ranges and gunshops?
I never said that. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was only commenting on the remark that the OP could be a LEO and I was questioning the assumption that a LEO who had professional training in the military or an academy would come to an Internet forum for training advice from strangers. Of course Internet forums could be very valuable resources for LEO's to exchange information with each other, but this forum does not differentiate between civilians and LEO's.

We come from two completely different places. We carry guns to protect ourselves and our loved ones, but LEO's carry weapons to uphold and enforce the law and that's not our job.

Last edited:
Back