How much would you spend for a new rifle?

$3K is entry level; in the world finely crafted rifles, it is the same

This was not even half of the $3,000 entry level figure posted above:

skprint_zps3926b290.jpg

CIMG1485_zps0dc7bdad.jpg
[/IMG]

7ucn.jpg

Anybody that doesn't love that isn't much of a gun aficionado... but the op was for a new gun. For me I think, a new gun for 3g or that m70 for half of that would be a tough choice. Congrats, it's nice.

Is there really a market for the $3,000 plus custom rifle?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41515&d=1232991469I have 2 Shiloh Sharps 1874's each cost well over 3K not including sights and nomenclature. They have been to the Carolinas, Idaho,Montana,California and all points in between.I use them as they were intended.More pleasure and learning from those two rifles than any 10 Remingtons,Tikka's,Savages,Winchesters, or anything else.I did not settle for Pedersoli,Armi Sport or any other Italian knock off much less a C.Sharps. It had to be as close to an original as I could get and still be replaceable,only one rifle company does that. Shilohs rifles start @ $2200.00 and you will wait 1 yr.+ for your rifle,worth every minute.I will have one more when they start building the 1877 Sharps Creedmoor rifles I will have my money on one.

Last edited:
I'm definitely speaking out of turn, as I have never and probably will never chase a cape buffalo or African elephant, but logic tells me that the money spent on an English double is not necessarily for greater functionality. As a matter of fact, I would think that a big-bore bolt gun may, in fact, be easier to shoot and the split second lost to the double by cycling the bolt is probably made up for in the accuracy and economics of a bolt gun. I think carrying a double has more to do with tradition than anything else.
Not saying that the Purdeys and H&H's of the world are twice the rifles that the Krieghoffs are - but what you're paying for with the English rifles goes beyond functionality. When you buy a new custom English double, what you're REALLY buying is a rifle that is custom fitted to you. As in every last dimension is custom fitted to your physique.

I find your claim that the ergonomics of a bolt gun are superior to that of a well made double to be entirely unfounded. How on earth did you come to this conclusion? Fine double rifles are, as I mentioned, fit to your body in every respect possible. They are lighter and shorter for a given barrel length, since there is no extra receiver length devoted to the length of the magazine, which means they handle much better in the bush.

I also strongly disagree with your claim that a bolt rifle could possibly be faster to fire shot 2 in the hands of two equally skilled rifleers. Just not possible, when you consider that one must remove your entire hand from the rifle to cycle the bolt, whereas one must only slightly adjust the trigger finger with a double. I suspect you've never fired a double rifle.

To the detriment of double rifles, unless you've a brave gunbearer, you're out of the fight after shot 2. That's an enormous disadvantage when you are within shooting range of angry critters which can easily take your life. And unless you can have supreme confidence in your own ability to remain cool in the most dire circumstances, a double rifle for dangerous game hunting is most likely not for you.

Note that PH guides only very rarely (ie when the paying customer gets the yips) takes the initial shot on game. His job is finding the game, getting the customer into position to take the shot, and then protecting the customer(s) life/lives once the action starts. It's generally only in the protection of customers and the final dispatch of wounded game that PH guides ever shoot.

As for me? If I was on a dangerous game safari, I would most certainly use a bolt rifle. Even if I COULD afford a fine double rifle, I do not have adequate confidence in my own abilities to rely upon a double rifle on a dangerous game hunt.

Not a new rifle by any means but I'd have gladly spent the asking price for this rifle if I had the money to spare at this time.

A high quality custom rifle with the barrel engraved "George Beitzinger, NY". Beitzinger worked at Griffin & Howe as represented by the cheekpiece style of this rifle. A very fine custom rifle offered at a very reasonable price.

1909 Argentine Mauser action, custom bottom metal with guard bow straddle floorplate release. Custom bolt handle with four-panel checkering, side swing safety, action polished inside, jeweled bolt and follower. Blackburn adjustable trigger.

Figured French walnut stock, very nicely inletted and lightly glass bedded. Extensive 24 lpi checkering very professionally accomplished with mullered borders and over the grip coverage. Ebony forend tip, sling swivel studs, steel grip cap, recoil pad with leather face.
One-piece scope base with low mounted Leupold Vari-X 3-9 Compact scope in new condition. 25” barrel engraved “Cal. 30-06 Gov’T.”
An extremely well appointed and professionally made Custom Mauser in the most classic of cartridges. $2495 **SPF**
I have not shot the rifle.

Here are the rest of the pictures of the rifle.

I can't see someone not thinking the rifle isn't worth the money asked. The only flaw I see in it right now is the red recoil pad as it looks a little misshapen.

Personally, if there was some rifle that I just had to have, I'd buy it. There'd be an upper limit on what I'd spend, but I don't really know what that is. You only go around once, so why save your money for your kids and grandkids? I think I'd choke on spending $5k, but I'd spend $3k for sure. There's just nothing that I really really want.

I can't see someone not thinking the rifle isn't worth the money asked. The only flaw I see in it right now is the red recoil pad as it looks a little misshapen.

Nice rifle and worth every dollar asked. First thing I'd have to do if I owned it is take it out and shoot it.

I just got a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet rifle for $670, added a Leupold scope $500, scope mount $ 50, military sling & swivels $ 30, RCBS die set , neck die & shell holder $100. $ 1350 seems to be a lot when in 1952 -52 for $ 227 I got a Winchester Mdl 70 270 for $137 and a Weaver scope for about $ 40. The Tru Line press with neck die , powder scale and other reloading equipment cost under $ 50 at Peoples Sporting Goods in Cheyenne, Wyo. in 1953.. The CZ rifle cost more than any other rifle I have.

Back