How much would you spend for a new rifle?

In stark contrast to the OP's question, one could buy:
1) an SKS in excellent condition for $375 (i.e. my Yugo M59 a month ago at the show), the unusual type with No grenade launcher!:)
Plus:
2) 10,000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo-at today's prices, includes shipping: Golden Tiger (.23/rd.), or even more if old corrosive Russian military (.21/rd.).

Ammo prices from "Gunbot" one minute ago. Would that amount of ammo last you Through the next two gun/ammo panics, and maybe then some?
Imagine, 4,000 rds. for gradual plinking over the next few years, while keeping 6,000 as emergency reserve....

Last edited:
I have daughter that I hope to send through college without student loans 17 years from now.
I couldn't enjoy owning it knowing that its entirely unnecessary and that the 3k invested in her fund now would be so beneficial many years later.

3000 for a new rifle?

Would I pay that? Depends, I suppose.

I am very much at the beginning of my learning curve as far as rifle shooting goes. Compared to many my age on there, I am some 30 odd years behind in the practice stakes. All the same, I'm learning and I'm enjoying it. I still have a hope to one day stretch my targets out to 800-1000m.

If that ever happens and I seem to develop a flare for it, then I might be tempted to look at purpose made LR rifles such as the Steyr SSG or Sako TRG line-ups. Better still, one of those Desert Tactical efforts. Delicious!

Where I live, the top end Steyr will set you back €4600!! I may decide that is worth it for the pleasure of having a precision piece of engineering....

That is all hypothetical right now, for the purposes of discussion, though.

I am still wetting myself with excitement from managing a barely sub MOA group yesterday at 100m, and my CZ550 will cover my needs for the even faintly foreseeable future.... Like I said: beginning of the learning curve!! :o

Last edited:
James,

Cangrats on your first sub MOA!! Be aware though, that in doing so, now you are going to want to go for a 1 hole experience!!! lol

While yes I do realize that there are specialty areas (bench rest, shot gun, collectables) for the hunting rifle this seems to me rather extravagant.

The whole "ship me your action, and for $5000 I will upgrade it" line of thought seems nuts to me.

Shoot for $10,000 I will ship you a "custom" wildcat (of my own design) chambered rifle with 2 boxes of cartridges, and dies for reloading it.
And if you act now, I may even name a cartridge after you...:D

I would never suggest for a second that if someone wants to buy an expensive rifle that they shouldn't but I disagree with the logic that 4 or 5 - $500 or $600 rifles would equal an expensive rifle. Rarely does someone go buy all 4 or 5 of those rifles at once. They do it over time when they can afford it.

I guess I look at the fact that I can, and in fact do, have multiple rifles to shoot and enjoy versus one expensive one. Having said that, I will admit to envy of some of those expensive rifles. A high dollar AR of some sort would be nice. I kind of like the one that takes AK mags. Or I could go really crazy and get a Barret .50 caliber. But then again if I spend that kind of money for a rifle I propbably couldn't afford to shoot it.

But I can guarantee you if I had an expensive rifle I certainly would shoot it.

Last edited:
Depends on the rifle. I paid $2500 for my most expensive one - a very lightly used Armalite AR50 with about $1200 in accessories included.
I have another that is currently about $2500 from Shiloh Sharps, but I got it for half that from someone who won it in a raffle and never shot it - I bought it over three years ago and have yet to fire it myself. :p

Shoot them if you have them. I have one F Class rifle. It was expensive,but I shoot it every weekend. I got it this summer and have a new barrel on the way already. It has about 3500 rounds down it this summer alone. The cost of re barreling them is not that big of a deal. Shoot them and enjoy them,That is why you got them.

I have in the past spent 1,500 and close to 1,000 having rifles built on military actions and paid almost as much for a few antiques and one Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. However life changes and I'm no longer able to spend that kind of money on a whim. The most I'd pay now for any new gun is about 500 but I'd probably buy used first.

Maybe, just MAYBE, someday I'll buy an AR50 which runs around $3300, not including a very expensive .50 BMG worthy scope. As others have said though, I've had a ton of fun with rifles waaaay cheaper than 3k.

As others have mentioned, a $3,000 rifle likely won't outperform a $300 rifle (and a hand-loader manual, scales and such) by much.
Now, if the gun were owned by Billy the Kid or someone...

I have no doubt about that. But then the question of what do we consider accurate?.3 inch groups,8 inch groups?. Don't see any setting records these days.

Depends on how bad I want it. :-). Spent 2k on an stag model 8 right before the ct ban went in. I love that rifle and would have regretted never being able to have one. Over priced . Hell yea but it's in my safe and I never looked back. There would have to be a strong reason for me to spend 3k. Competing or a ban most likely.

I'd spend $3K if that is what it takes to get the rifle if I wanted it. I'd love to have a Legend rifle by D'arcy Echols, but at this point in my life I can't afford a $15K synthetic stocked hunting rifle.

I've paid by the time it is completed over $2K for a rifle and waited four years for delivery. Since then I've been a little smarter about building custom rifles. I get everything rounded up first and then take it to the smith and I've never waited longer than six months since.

Here are some of my most expensive rifles and the prices are just for the rifles before optics and scope mounts.

This was my first custom that I waited four years to get and I have $2400 into it. It has been through two stocks as the first one broke in two pieces.
P1000411.jpg

These are all rifles I put together since.

$2000 Winchester M70 .338-06.
P1000590.jpg

$1600 Stevens 200 .243 Win.
20120614_175351-2.jpg

$1400 Winchester M70 Extreme Weather in .270 Win.
P1000619.jpg

$1000 Winchester M70 FWT .30-06.
1359426492.jpg

$800 1917 Winchester Sporter .300 H&H.
DSC_0017.jpg

Back