How much would you spend for a new rifle?

std7mag

How much would you spend for a new rifle?
Is there really a market for the $3,000 plus custom rifle?

What are your thoughts???

If there was no market for $3000 rifles, there'd really be no reason for anyone to make them. The mere fact that they exist means someone out there is buying them.

...............but it ain't me.

There is a big market for them. Heck, some of you might know Jerry Simonson,,People waited 4 years to get a barrel from him. I will someday buy a $3000.00 rifle myself.

There aren't really any new rifles that I'd pay that much for, but I wouldn't mind having a full auto rifle. Those can get pricey very quickly. I also keep trying to get my wife to let me buy a SCAR 17, but that may never happen.

Is there really a market for the $3,000 plus custom rifle?

There is a steady demand for rifle and shotguns at ten, twenty and thirty times that amount. In the world of decent target shotguns, $3K is entry level; in the world finely crafted rifles, it is the same

I usually see this question asked about a $2,500+ pistol. The answer is the same. It's a personal choice. Custom and semi-custom guns adhere to the 90/10 rule. Ninety percent of the work is devoted to ten percent of the gun. It's that 10 percent that sets the high end gun from the standard grade gun. It's worth it to some and not to others.

I just spent $129.00 for a 1932 (Tula hex and star symbol) M91/30 Mosin Nagant (7.62X54R). If it turns out to be a shooter, I will invest in it a little and end up with a gun that will kill anything that a 30-06 will. You can tune them up very easily (finish and smooth the trigger, set it in glass if need be, etc). It's an easy gun to modify and the web is full of hobbyist that like to tinker on the cheap. Some shoot sub moa at 100 and are equal to many 30-06 of today. Put a decent scope on it an you can have fun with some distant range shooting. Then again, mine may end of being a lemon and be come parts for the next Mosin I buy.:D

The plan was to maybe spot a Service Grade M-1 at the Anniston CMP on Aug 31st. None were on the rack.
Staff told me that "We are 5,000 Garands behind due to ammo orders".

As the goal during that First visit to the CMP was to personally select a Service Grade, the higher S. G. Special rack had about eight rifles.
It seemed silly to justify, but bought one for over $900. The regular S.G could have been a much better value.

I couldnt.

There are no new rifles in that price range that tempt me. On the other hand, antique Winchesters and the like are very tempting. But that price range is way over my head at this time.

You can get a good decent Remington, Winchester, Ruger, etc for around 500 and a used one for around 400. Make accurate Handloads and punch ragged holes at 200 or 300 yards. Don't really think the fancy priced one will do that much better.
My friend sold me a Tikka T-3 in stainless in 22-250 never been shot for 250 about a year and a half ago.
Someone knew I was a gun fanatic and gave me a Winchester model Pre 64 (30-06) free about 10 years ago. My dad found a Marlin 30-30 that been shot 2 times for 100 dollars. Last year I bought a H&R 223 that a man passed away that wife said she thinks its been shot like 10 rounds. Looks brand new. She wanted 100 dollars for it. I'm happy. Good- Cheap guns are out there if you keep eyes open and are patient. Would I buy a 3000 dollar rifle ? No way. I can do same thing with a 300 dollar rifle.

I always thought of having one made in a tactical flavor because I like the way they look. Some of the stocks or chasis alone run several hundred to 1k easily. Which is a lot of mula.

Anyway I remember asking someone for advice on how to modify my 30+ old 110 savage. I had mention that I can hit milk jugs at 500 yds with my 110 and the guy responded "why do you want to change that?"

Thoughts of paying that kind of money are no longer catching my interest..

With my current budget/patience level I would cut off right at about $1300 dollars and no more. There are a few rifles I want that are in that price range that I would still be comfortable actually shelling out for when the time is right. Plus, there are MANY guns including rifles that I'd want to buy that are cheaper. I haven't seen a rifle yet that I would actually want to spend more than that on.

Good- Cheap guns are out there if you keep eyes open and are patient. Would I buy a 3000 dollar rifle ? No way. I can do same thing with a 300 dollar rifle.

Absolutely. I watch the used market in my region. There are some great buys to be had. My last purchase was a nicely scoped Ruger M77, 30-06, mfg'ed in 1977, excellent condition, $475. The guy also had a beautifully stocked, Rem 742ADL in '06 he offered to me for $400 that looked like it had been fired about 10 times.

Simple answer, for me, I wouldn't spend a penny.

#1, I don't buy new rifles.
#2 $3k is waay beyond my budget. I have at least half a dozen rifles I've never shot. Close to a dozen more that I haven't shot in years. There is no new production rifle that has any interest to me. (That might change, but given current trends, I doubt it)

I realize that I am at the bottom end of the bell curve on this, but here I stand, I can do no other. ;)

Lets clarify things here. I am sure there are $3000.00 hunting rifles, but I think the majority of these rifles are going to be Target Rifles. That is a whole new ball game. Or a very accurized hunting rifle ( cooper comes to mind)

Those that say they can get a $300.00 rifle to do same are fooling themselfs big time. Maybe out to 500 yards and after that your $300.00 rifle is going to be a let down. Not that they can't but would have to be a very good one.

Last edited:
NFA is pretty much way above the $3k for a machine pistol a nice full auto AR would go for over $10K. A Thompson SMG about the same price range.
What do the semi-auto versions of the 1918BAR or !919A4 sell for?
:eek:

Question for the OP, given your previous inquiries about a new cartridge you'd like to develop, is it safe to assume you're asking this as a feeler for a possible business?

I'm a blue collar worker, lower middle class, approaching retirement age, and I think there is a market for them. Will I ever own one? Don't know but one is on my bucket list.

Back