how much can you bench?

Long ago and far away I could bench 350 freebar. 25 years later I MIGHT be able to do my body weight.

I read in the paper this week that Larry Allen of the Cowboys was benching somewhere between 650 and 700 lbs. Un-effin-real.

I with Spectre, I can do my body weight plus a couple of pouds, but does it matter? Nah probably not unless I am moving pianos or get into a wrestling match. I have vowed never to do either again.:)

325 lbs when I was a junior in high school. That was 18 years ago, but since that was the last time I attempted to "max-out", I'll go with that figure. :rolleyes:

When I was a freshman in college I did 12 reps of 225 lbs. That was 16 years ago. I weighed 150 lbs. at the time, and now I weight 200 lbs. I think I could bench press my weight now, but not much more.

To get into the spirit of the Forum: If I tried to bench-press enough weight to notice, my 67-year old, arthritic shoulders would quickly tell me to quit that foolishness.

That's why you never hassle an old guy. He won't fight you--but you may well lose. Old guys already been to lots of funerals.

:), Art

"I don't have any enemies. I outlived 'em."

Right now, my workout weight is 300lbs, and I have maxed 500lbs. The 500 was months ago, so I don't know about now. Still working out with 300.

Ditto the "roughly my body weight" thing...

This simply shows that the "handguns as an equalizer of physical strength" idea doesn't just apply to average women vs. rapists. Up against a 6'3" 326lb guy that can bench twice his weight, most of us would be in deep, deep trouble. Heck, it would be hard enough to stop somebody of that size and conditioning with a handgun! Starts to make a person paranoid about stopping power and all that...

- AP

Note: Larry's probably a great guy...this is just an example!

I'm with Art. The only thing left for us "gentlemen of age" is to shoot. Here in Arizona, iffen a young stud picks on a senior, the senior is justified in using deadly force even tho his tormenter may be unarmed. Love it.

Sam

At least weight of girlfriends!

More important to run, run, and run. CV system far more important in a fight than power. Squeeze tennis ball for grip strength.

Armed Patriot, are you talking about me? I know in some of the pictures I've put up and from some of the posts from other Utah TFLers I sound big, but really I'm not that big. :p A bit taller than your description, but a good thirty pounds lighter.

I don't like to max out. I think it has negative psychological aspects to your workout. I have done high reps of 315 though. But that was over a year ago, now I've gotten quite a bit softer. I lift now for fun more than anything serious. Really I'm just a big softie.

But let me just say that there are some guys at the gym who are downright scary! I work out at the biggest gym in the SLC area, and there are some monsters there. Guys with cords of muscle benching 600 lbs. I think of them whenever some liberal bliss ninny starts talking about how you should just learn martial arts to defend yourself. Hah! These guys have pecs that look like rump roasts off of a freaking cow.

Correia wrote...

Armed Patriot, are you talking about me?

I just checked Larry Allen's "dimensions" for curiousity. I'm an average guy that's spent some time in a gym, but this guy makes me feel like one of the skinny gals in Oleg's posters, at least in terms of the size/strength differential.

I agree with CReynolds...bench is highly overrated. It's never been my best or most beneficial exercise.

- AP

AP, sorry about that. It is just that so many of the folks I know on this board just call me by my first name (and most of them joke that I'm large and goofy looking :) ). I've never heard of Larry Allen.

Heh. Despite being a martial artist, I can see standing in court.

The judge looks down at all 5'6", 145 lbs or so of me.

Son, why did you shoot him?

Your honor, he was big! :D

Many years ago, a guy smaller than Spectre tried to sucker punch me in front of several witnesses. What I didn't realize was that he was watching the witnesses and had waited to move until none of them were watching. Well, they turned to look when they heard the scuffling...just as he started yelling something on the order of,"Help! Help! This big ape is trying to kill me." and cowering in abject fear:eek: Just as I was about to be set upon by the outraged folks, an old lady came out of her house and called out,"See here, the little punk hit him first when y'all weren't watching! He's trying to set y'all all up." I walked away as the folks turned on him. Funny thing, he's a preacher now.:D

I don't complain about nosy neighbors. A nosy neighbor saved my butt.

"....Guys with cords of muscle benching 600 lbs. I think of them whenever some liberal bliss ninny starts talking about how you should just learn martial arts to defend yourself. Hah! These guys have pecs that look like rump roasts off of a freaking cow."

Would you rather have a Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh loaded with one round, or a Glock 17 with 18 rounds of 9mm on tap ?

Strength and size is a handicap unless you are trained to use it to your advantage. You have to strike a happy medium between size, speed, and agility for your build. Ever watch a bodybuilder try to throw a punch ?

BTW, I used to bench 450 lbs back when I played football. Not that it helped one bit. It's an exercise more in vanity than serving any practical use.

To say that benching is just an exercise in vanity, may be a little extreme. Benching is but one piece that can help develop punching power. I agree that if you take it to an extreme you can actually start to go in the other direction.

I am by no means a "large" guy. I'm 6'1" 250lbs, and I'm one of the fastest guys in my sparring circle. It's all in how you train and what your goal is.

Gryphon

Back