How much better is the Python?

Whoever has bad things to say about Pythons, the newer "Elite" models will only confirm them.

If you have good things to say about Pythons, they must not be new then.

I'm looking for an old Python to shoot and will hang my new one on the wall if
Cylinder and Slide can't do anything with it.

After 4 trips back to Colt, I give up, almost.

My 1975 model Python was a thing of beauty but it was a little frail in the carry up. Quit carrying up in slow cock after about 2000 rounds. Just a fact of life. I beveled the top of the bolt so when it caught the edge of the cylinder notch the slope of the bolt helped the cylinder rotate that little bit extra to lock up. I think the accuracy edge the Python had on the S&W's was that the bore was a little tighter, something like .354 if I remember correctly. I don't buy the cylinder being locked tight at release theory. The cylinder also had a little play between the crane and the frame because of the way the Python only locks up at the rear of the cylinder. A gap of a few thousandths between the crane and the frame. About the thickness of one piece of scotch tape, which I used to shim the gap with. There's no denying it wasn't as strong as the competition. But is sure was pretty and accurate. One of those guns that if it was as perfect as sentiment remembers I'd still own. That said, all the Smiths I owned in that era, (29-28-25) also quit carrying up in slow cock after a few thousand rounds. And I remember that the Smiths did have the better trigger pulls but the Python would outshoot them.

Back