How much better is the Python?

Hotboy, if you want a good DA 357

go for the Ruger.

The Python's reputation for accuracy is from single action bullseye shooting. The double action function is a two-stage mess that fails to deliver rapid accuracy.

The Ruger can be cleaned up with springs and use... perhaps a bit of stone in the right places.

The Python is certainly sexy looking! But I'm a function over form type, myself.

Have you considered looking for for a used M28 Smith and Wesson? They are bricks and shoot like a Smith.

I think you should go ahead with you original idea and get the GP100. Then buy a Python. Shoot them both extensively, every chance you get and carry on the debate with yourself for the rest of your life . You can not have enough .357s (or any other caliber for that matter). I have the full Ruger line in .357; SP101, GP100, Redhawk (.357), and the Blackhawk. Then of course I have a Model 28 and a 627PC. At some point I will get a Python. I also would like a 686 with an 8 3/8" barrel just to round things out. Why limit yourself ? How can you make an informed decision without sampling the goods ? Then you have to make sure of your decision. Then you have to double check your decision. Then you need to start all over with a different load and rethink your original decision based on the new information. Then you have to try it again with a different bullet, recalculate results. Then you need to try them all with .38s, recalculate results. All the .38 loads and bullets, recalculate results. Get custom work done to them and start over.........

Python quality...

I don't know about today but, a gunsmith I know made a good living giving new PYTHON a trigger job.

Lendsringer and Tamara,

I can't obviously say what your 25 looks like, I have seen registered magnums with equal polish and fit (remember, I'm comparing to a 1961 Python here) to mine. Mostly I was refering to the actual color. For some reason (chemical no doubt) the Colt Royal Blue has a slightly different color than the standard Colt blue, or to the *&* blues (old and new). I just like the effect. The mirror polish normally put on prior to bluing on these guns doesn't hurt either. For general shooting I much prefer the *&* guns. Particularly for DA (not fond of the Colt "stack). Out of my ten *&* revolvers, four are five screw models. I'll buy any of those I can find that are still in shooting condition. Might not take as stout of loads as the newer guns, but I sure do like that action.

The Python is a turn of the century before last design and is quite fragile, it has the same action that the gun that Teddy Roosevelt carried up San Juan Hill. They are easily thrown out of time by hot loads or a lot of shooting. The Ruger on the other hand is a work horse that will stand up to much more hard shooting than the Python and for less money too.

7th

If you want the best of both worlds: Buy the Ruger. Spend the extra money you saved by sending it to Jack Weigand, and letting him work it over. You'll get the strength of the Ruger & a trigger pull and accuracy FAR superior to the the out-of-the-box Colt. :D :D :cool:

Last edited:
COLT PYTHONS

HAVE OWNED THREE OF THESE COOL LOOKING SIXGUNS OVER THE YEARS.
I'VE NEVER, NEVER!!!, BEEN SO ANNOYED BY ANY GUNS I'VE EVER OWNED.
ALL THREE SHOULD HAVE HAD FOUR FOOT BARRELS SO I COULD HAVE POUNDED THEM INTO THE GROUND AND GROWN TAMATOES ON 'EM.
TOO BE TRUTHFUL IN LOOKING BACK, WHAT PROBABLY MADE ME THE MOST ANGRY WAS MY ENDING UP WITH THREE OF THE DAMN THINGS...I MUSTA BEEN NUTS TO DO THAT AFTER THE AGGRAVATION OF THE FIRST.
YE GADS!!!!!!!
GIVE ME AN OLD SMITH L-FRAME ANY OL' DAY TO THAT SHINY COLT FRAUD.

hmm, interesting. We knock the Python for a "turn of the century action" and then recommend S&W which date to the same 1890s. As for fragile, my Python was made in 1961. It has shot plenty of loads, ranging from target to full bore. Still hasn't been worked on at all. That being said, for DA I prefer S&W. For SA, the Python can't be beat. For those that like Rugers, fine, have fun. But the triggers out of the box are unspeakable, and I refuse to buy a gun with a "safety warning" printed down the side of the barrel.

Ben:
I just got my Model 29 back from Jack Weigand. He did a nice job on it. I am now going to send my GP-100 to him. I have to agree with you, buy a GP-100 get it tuned and you have a very strong, very sweet revolver. I personally don't mind my GP-100 the way it is. I think we get carried away with this stuff most of the time. I could understand if we were talking about a gun with a 20 pound, gritty trigger pull out of the box, but we arn't. We are talking about maybe one or two pounds difference in the weight of an excellant SA pull to a decent SA pull. For years, while everyone was talking about stuff like this, I just went out and shot what I had, just like it was and had a hell of a good time. If I had money, I bought another gun instead of spending money on customization. Lately I have decided that I am approaching the point of not being able to shoehorn one more item in my safe, so I am starting to look at sending some of my stuff in and seeing how the other half lives. By the way, don't take our advice and send anything to Jack. That will only slow down the work he is doing for me.

444, I agree. Either gun out-of-box is probably more accurate than we could shoot it freehand. But it's nice to have a super accurate, super smooth hand cannon should the need arise.

I bought the new Accurate Powder manual after seeing some of the monster loads they say are within SAAMI specs. One of my favorites is a 158 grain XTP over Accurate #9 at 1633 fps from an 8" test barrel. I wouldn't shoot something like that on a regular basis from my Smiths (or a Python, if I owned one), but I have no worries about shooting them all day, every day out of the Ruger. I also worry about carrying my Smiths in the field (same as I would with a Python) because of their beautiful finish. So, the stainless Rugers fill that niche. Another thing that I seldom see mentioned is the ability to EASILY stirp the Ruger double actions for a good cleaning inside and out. When I carry a pistol day and night for a couple weeks on a hunting trip, in the snow and rain, I really appreciate the fact that when I get home, I can clean it and be assured that I got all the moisture leaves twigs etc out of the gun. Ruger makes a gun that is meant to be used under the harshest of conditions whether it be with monster loads or environmental conditions. And, it is much more than usuable out of the box satisfiying all but the pickiest owners as is. I certainly have a place in my safe for beautiful guns, but I also have need for rugged guns. I am truely thankful that I can own both.

Like many posting here, I own both revolvers. I love the look of the Python, really classic. I love the butter smooth double action of it as well. But, I always shoot my GP100 - I'm partial to the heft and feel of the gun. It's strong as a bull and handles that occasional reload problem.

Frankly, I'm not convinced the accuracy of the Python is better...that hasn't been my experience. Maybe it's the weight of the Ruger that keeps me on target - or - maybe it's the shooter!

i've owned both also and ended up sending the ruger off with my ex-wife. it was stronger and never complained if i didn't care for it but its trigger was never as smooth and it would not hold as tight a group.

the python is more inherently accurate because of the twist rate, the choked barrel and the cylinder lock-up

i have to admitt that my gun was purchased from a CHP officer who shot unknown quantities of 110gr +p+ through it before i got it. i went through the academy with it and carried it on-duty and qualified with speer 140gr mag loads. i then switched to a 6" barrel and shot PPC for 3 years. it is as tight today as when i purchased it 20+ years ago and it will still eat out the center of the b-27 target when i do my part (yes, DA only out to 50yds)

buy the python first, you may never need another .357

The comment of apples versus oranges is correct. Look for a Colt King Cobra to compare with the GP100. That's what I did and brought the King Cobra home. It's pretty like the other Colt DAs, it can take the hot loads, nice, crisp trigger, and the price is comparable to the GP100.......Dan in GA

buy the python first, you may never need another .357

That's what I did. I don't have any desire for another .357 after purchasing a Python about 19 years ago. No comparison. Well, except for a LNIB prewar registered S&W Magnum. After I win the Lotto, I'll own two .357s.

good guy - good choice, i have a beautiful 8.375" m-27 with a SA trigger pull of about 1.5lbs

it's very interesting to compare the smith's bright blue and the colt's royal blue

Hmm. My friend has 2 pythons. I love them! Graceful, sweet to shoot.

I've also shot a GP100, probably my next gun! The thing is a TANK. Like all rugers, they digest anything, (Whatever you want to feed it, it will not complain) and when you are writing that will out, you will have no problems leaving the GP100 for your grandkids..

Different gun. Apples and Oranges..

Albert

work of art......

The Pyton is a wonderful work of art and as a bunch of other members say--the Python won't stand up to real 357 ammo.
The S&W N frame 357's and the Rugers are the Mack Trucks in the revolver woods.
Don Mallard

Back