How much better is the Python?

Hotboy

I am leaning toward buying the KGP-141 or -161 in stainless, so every time I look at an ad for a Python I ask myself "It's pretty, but why is it so expensive?"

Does the Python shoot twice as well as the Ruger? If not, what justifies its high price? Is it just marketing or what?

Comparing a Python to a GP-100 is like comparing a ballerina to a football player. The Python has style and grace and finesse, while the GP-100 is tough and sturdy and robust. More literally, the Python probably has a smoother trigger, better accuracy, and looks nicer, while the Ruger is stronger and will last longer, especially when shooting full house .357 loads. Is one better than the other? I don't think you can say so. It depends on what you want. I went with a 6 inch Python with the nickel finish, which I picked up in beautiful shape for 675, and I'm very happy with it.

The Python is not durable with full power loads. It will go out of time rather quickly if you shoot a lot of heavy loads. If you plan to shoot a lot of .357 magnum, you should go with the Ruger. OTOH, the Python has a superior action and trigger, and will outshoot any Ruger for accuracy. Both are excellent in different ways. If you want top notch performance, go with the Python. If extreme ruggedness is a must, get the Ruger.

The Python is very much a 19th Century firearm and it's lockwork requires a clever smith. For years, it was the flagship revolver of the Colt line. Everything Colt could do to make it the premier US revolver was done. Fit, finish were superb on the Python. Contrast it against the Colt Diamondback which appears to be a scaled down Python. While the Diamondback shares a common lockwork with the Python, it's finish was not as fine and its luster was not as brillant. The Ruger is a 20th Century firearm and can absorb more neglect and abuse than the Python.

The Python is a Rolls Royce and the Ruger is a Russian Tractor. Both work fine but the tractor you can beat and not shed a tear.

Apples and oranges. Depends on what you want. If you want the best made revovler I've ever seen (for whatever that's worth) get the Python. It is better made, has a better action, and is pure quality through and through.

If you want something that could be best described as a brutally effective tank, get a Ruger.

If you want something in-between get a S&W 686.

Of course, Pythons usually cost ALOT of money, but I've seen good deals on them every once in a while (e.g. a **perfect** Royal Blue 4" for ~$550). Still more than a Ruger by quite a bit, but not quite the 3-4x you see sometimes either. :eek:

This business about Pythons going out of time is vastly over-reported, I believe.

I am curious how many people out there who make this claim have actually seen it happen versus just heard about someone who heard it had happened.

I thinks its kind of like Beretta slide breakage problems with the 92... its happened a few times, and has been talked about thousands.

Based only on my personal experience, I can count 4 pythons that are not out of time, despite the fact that the youngest is at least 15 years old, and all have many many many rounds thru them.

Since the Rolls was wired by Lucas, the prince of darkness, I would opt for the tractor. Besides, Rolls not worth a hoot pullin a gang mower.

Sam

Sam, as I'm typing this I'm holding in my hands a 70's vintage nickel Python. And I'm looking out the window at my rusty but indestructible pickup truck.

Care to guess which one's gonna be sold first? :D

C R Sam you must have ridden Triumph Motorcycles back in the 60s since you are familiar with Lucas Electrics. They used to call Joseph Lucas the "Prince of Darkness".

The Python is a 19th century design and is very fragile and is easily gotten out of time. If you want a gun to shoot hot loads in, the Python is not your gun. You would be better served by a Ruger.

7th

I wonder how much can be done with the GP100, towards accuracy and trigger work?

The Ruger rep for "bad trigger that can't be fixed" came from the Redhawk. Still only partially correct for that gun, not correct at all for the SP/GP/SRH types. Those respond well to spring kits and minor polishing...they have separate trigger return springs, unlike the Redhawk.

I've seen "Crugers" where a Python barrel was stuck on a Ruger :). That or a fresh aftermarket barrel could be done up with a pro trigger job plus the gun, for less than $1k. Maybe a lot less.

Would you have a Python? Hell no. Not too far off though, and way tougher.

The GP100 is the smallest gun made that can take a steady diet of the very hottest .357s, with more than 600 or even 700ft/lbs energy. The original .357 ammo was a 158grain doing over 1,500fps from an N-Frame - once the K-frame .357s came out, that sort of fodder tore the guns up, the tendency has been to drop the power levels ever since. But that sort of "old school load" or close to it is still available from smaller ammo brewers; Cor-Bon's .357 hunting fodder comes close.

That stuff will eat a Python alive. The GP100 can take a lot of 'em.

Have to wonder myself about the "Python going out of time" threads. All I know is that mine was made in 1961. I've owned it for 12 years. Don't know what went downrange before I got it, but since I've had it, several thousand rounds of anything from target level to full bore mags (and my full bore mag loads were developed for a M27-2 and a M627PC - and are HOT). The Python isn't quite as comfortable to shoot with those and the heavier S&W guns, but handles them without a hiccup. (Talking a 140 grain XTP at approx. 1500 out of a five inch barrel, NOT going to publish the load.)

The only guns I've got that approach the Python for triggers are all older S&W five screws (talking fifty to sixty years old). And even there, the SA on the Python is cleaner (about the same weight, but better subjective feel). Of course we are talking an old school Python here also.

I know I'm supposed to worship on the Altar of the Big Snake like any other revolver nut, but so far I've been less than overwhelmed with the Pythons I've held. My gun shop has a Python Elite (which is supposed to be the really nice, custom shop, notch-above-the-rest Python). While it is admittedly a fine wheelgun, it is by no means a $900 revolver, and I would not trade my Model 19 or any of my 686s for it. The Smiths have uniformly better triggers than the vaunted Snake, and they feel a bit more sturdy. Nothing wrong with Pythons, but I think they charge about twice as much for them as they're worth.

Lendsringer, I own nine S&W revolvers and one Colt. So you can figure I'm a bit prejudiced. I will say that I've looked at the "new" Pythons, including the custom shop "elites". They compare to my 1961 Python about the same way a new 686 compares to my old five screw S&W guns, not that well. A true Registered Magnum can match the Python for fit and finish (but not that lovely Colt Royal Blue, S&W just never did anything quite like that). The triggers in DA are slightly better on the five screw Smith's (but then I LIKE Smith triggers). The SA on the Python can only be compared to a few match grade 1911 pattern guns I've shot. But then in 1961 that was what the Python was being marketed as, a target revolver, replacing the Officer's Model Match. And target shooters of that day fired SA almost exclusively.

How much better is the Python?

IMO, The Python is nice to look at!

But if you want a revolver to carry and use, I would go with a Ruger or an older S&W M19/66 or M586/686.

You could buy 2 or 3 nice, used Smiths or Rugers for the price of one Python.

Enjoy your quest for a new revolver.

-Mk.IV

Ahhh... those five screw Smiths... Pop off the sideplate and you'll see why they were so good. They shared in common with the Python an elegant crescent shaped sear. This made for a nice, long smooth DA trigger. You see, the pressure "spike" on a shorter trigger makes for a rougher trigger whereas with the cresent shaped sear it allows pressure to build gradually. Cylinder & Slide's "roller" sear achieves the same purpose and was probably adopted from either the German Korth revolver or the English imported flintlock of the 1810-1830s (roller bearing on frizzen spring).

What you're paying for on a Python is hand fitting, and accuracy.
Python's are 19 th century technology, and the actions do require hand fitting. However, the Python receives a lot more hand fitting than even the standard D, E/I frame Colt revolvers. All more modern revolvers go together with little or no hand work.
Individual hand work by a skilled craftsman COSTS.

Colt does more to their barrels to insure a high standard of accuracy. For instance, theres the famous "Silver Ball" treatment each Python barrel gets. Again, all this costs money for the labor involved.

In other guns, you're paying for materials. With Colt you're paying for materials PLUS a skilled, talented persons labor. Next time you get your car or appliances worked on, look at the bill. Most of the expense is labor, not parts.

I have a Python and I think it is fabulous(Picked up a six inch bright nickle for $500.00). I feed it a steady diet of .38 Specials. Are the stories of Pythons easily going out of time warrented? I don't know from first hand experience. However, I am not willing to try the experiment myself.

My GP-100 gets the workout with magnums.

Zane

sw627pc,

I used to think there was nothing like Colt Royal Blue until I picked up a late-60s vintage Model 25 a few months ago. 6.5" pinned barrel, match trigger and hammer, and the most gorgeous blue I've ever seen on any handgun. I'd say it's easily equal to any Royal Blue gun I've ever seen, so they must have had a really good day at the factory up in Springfield that day.

"Nothing like Royal Blue"

I dunno, my roomie's *&* 25-2 has the... Never mind, I see he's already been here. ;)

Back