How much ammo do you have?

I dont shoot very often, however I have enough that if there were ever a shortage, i could continue to shoot for a while without any worries of where Im going to find some ammo. I cant reload, I live in a small condo and dont have the room, but if my neighbors knew what was nextdoor, :eek:

I have 23,000 rounds on my shelf,,,

Of .22 LR that is,,,

I also shoot .38, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag,,,
I try to keep 1,000 rounds of each on my shelf.

The reason is not to stock up for an armageddon scenario,,,
It's so I always have a good stock of ammo on hand.

Last summer here in Stillwater, OK,,,
You could not buy a box of .22 LR for love or money,,,
Forget about finding anything in the popular centerfire calibers.

It wasn't that it was overly expensive,,,
It just wasn't available to buy,,,
Even Wal-Mart was out.

I have a few matching gun sets in rimfire/centerfire pairs,,,
S&W Models 15/18, Models 34/36, Colt Trooper Mk III in .22 and .357,,,
I like to go out and shoot half a brick of the rimfire and a box or two of centerfire.

Now that I have a bench stock of ammo,,,
I simply replace what I shoot after a range day.

Last year I drove over 200 miles on a round trip,,,
To go to every gun store in Oklahoma City,,,
I bought about 1,500 rounds of .22 LR,,,
That was every box I could find,,,
It was a grim summer.

I just don't want to ever run out again,,,
So when ammo started to return to the shelves,,,
I started buying 3-4 boxes of something every payday,,,
It really didn't take that long to amass a considerable bench stock.

It's no fun sitting there at home,,,
Staring at a full gun cabinet,,,
And an empty ammo case.

About 40k divided between 12 calibers/gauges. I'm in it also for the 'never run out again in case of unavailability' argument.

7.62x39mm FMJ - 6,400
5.56mm M855 - 6,200
9mm NATO FMJ - 2,000
9mm Subsonic - 1,500
45ACP Ranger T - 1,300
40 S&W Ranger T - 650
.308 SST - 200
.270 SST - 150

I like ammo as much as the next guy, but (seriously) if you are ever in a situation where you might require 10s of thousands of rounds to defend yourself, how would you possibly expect to live long enough to use it? Don't you think one of the zombies might sneak through your defenses, or enough shots would be fired back at you that would put you out of commission? Or that you would run out of food or not be able to keep from falling asleep?

I like ammo as much as the next guy, but (seriously) if you are ever in a situation where you might require 10s of thousands of rounds to defend yourself, how would you possibly expect to live long enough to use it? Don't you think one of the zombies might sneak through your defenses, or enough shots would be fired back at you that would put you out of commission? Or that you would run out of food or not be able to keep from falling asleep?

I completely agree. What it the point of so much ammo? Do you have a bunker that ensures you would be able to stay where you are at? Do you have enough food, water, fuel, and supplies stored where you would not need to leave your bunker? Is your bunker so secure that natural disasters can't penetrate it? If you are collecting ammo for your peace of mind, then so be it. If you are stocking up in fear that ammo will become banned, then keep on stocking. I would not advertise what you have though.

You have to really think about the kind of scenario where you would really need that much ammo. In a natural disaster such as a hurricane, flood, earthquake, or fire, it is impossible to move all that ammo. In an evacuation situation, you grab what you can and you get out of Dodge. In terms of riots, how often do they actually happen and can you indiscriminately fire into a crowd? If someone is breaking into your home and your have warned them, then by all means do what is necessary. I still doubt you would need thousands of rounds. If we are talking about zombies, then all bets are off. :rolleyes:

.22 LR = 23,000 rounds,,, Excessive maybe but I stumbled on a killer wholesale deal.
9mm = 1,000 rounds
.38 Special = 1,000 rounds
.357 Magnum = 500 rounds
.44 magnum = 500 rounds.

This is not ammo saved for a SHTF scenario,,,
I just remember last year when I could not find ammo to buy.

It was a dull summer when I couldn't even find a brick of .22 to go plinking with.

So now I keep this much on hand all the time,,,
Whenever I pick up a box to go shoot,,,
I immediately replenish my stock.

I just don't want to run out again.

I couldn't even guesstimate how much of what different caliber/cartridge I have on hand---I have a pretty stable par for everything I shoot. Where my "things are going south" supply is concerned, I have components. Good supply of primers, and my powders all cross over on multiple platforms. So if need were to arise, I could load thousands of anything that I decide I need most while leaving the less effective ones down at a functional par level, and I can shift that par easily as situations change.

But for a good solid number on something, I have enough WW alloy to cast about 50,000 bullets in the 180gr. weight range and molds/checks for all the main platforms I would choose to put them through. I'd run short on primers long before my bullet supply went dry.

Knowing as how my luck runs, if a situation ever did arise where I needed to depend on 'pick up' ammo, I'd probably be the only one within 3 counties using a certain caliber . The so-called bad guys would probably be coming at me with some off the wall calibers!

Lots ... and never enough.

When ever I go shooting, I buy to go shooting plus extra. Then sometimes when I get back, I buy to replace what I shot too. :D

I believe in a minimum of 1000 rounds per gun ... add a zero to that for the 22's.

If it wasn't for the shortages in the past, I wouldn't need that much on hand but who knows now right? I need 6 bricks for the .22's just to handle one 22 league for me and 2 sons ... and that's not counting practice outings. I try to have the next years league ammo already set aside so I don't have to scrounge and I can shoot what I like instead of having to shoot what I can find. That's nearly 10,000 rounds right there.

Last edited:
I feel pathetic, reading this.

I've only got my 870, and in my drawer next to my bed is 13 rounds of PDX1, five rounds of Federal 00, two rounds of Super-X 00, two rounds of Winchester Military 0 Buck, and two rounds of Federal birdshot for those without legs and big fangs.

Terrible, I know. Anyone selling mass amounts of 00 buck?

Back