How many of you are carrying a BUG.?

If I was in a riskier situation, I'd carry a bug. As it is, a 38 snub in my pocket serves my purposes perfectly.

Nope, I carry my CZ SP01 with a reload and that's it. I can swap mags or clear malfunctions much faster than I can draw anyway so the New York Reload isn't something I practice.

Yes. KT P32 in the back pants pocket as BUG. It's in a holster that has a small leather flap that covers its backstrap. Unless you have a metal detector or grab my butt, it's pretty much undetectable even if one peers over and into my back pocket. Looks like a wallet.

I frequently carry two guns, their small and concealed...... I guess one of them is the backup for the other?!

Between .22, .32, .38 Special, or .380, what would you call "primary"? Hair-splitting I guess......as long as you adhere to Rule # One.......good to go.

I don't - sigh - I only HAVE one pistol, right now. :( But, I do carry a knife (a folder that the S.EA.L.s used to carry)! I knew a guy that would always have a "b.u.g." hidden in his truck. If I DID have a 2nd gun, I wouldn't carry it unless I was in a high threat-level area. But, then again, I've had enough military and security training that I would be comfortable NOT carrying a "b.u.g."

Having said that, I believe that L.E.O.s should ALWAYS have a back-up! They deal with a higher threat-level on a daily basis.

Primary: S&W 627 (8 Shot 357 magnum)

Back Up: NAA 22 short. (5 shot 22 short) so small I can conceal it when walking around in a thong!

If you can tolerate the extra expense, discomfort and necessary training, I don't see a reason not to carry a BUG.

Lots of things can go wrong with your primary. Catastrophic malfunctions, dropping or otherwise losing positive control of it. Things that can be quickly remedied by a BUG.

Other advantages include arming another, an element of surprise, and additional firepower.

I believe it to be a good idea to practice with your BUG as you do your primary; drawing from its position, being familiar with its manual of arms, knowing its capabilities and limitations.

It can be useful to have your BUG share the same ammunition source and caliber as your primary. A glock 19 and 26, for example. It is logistically easier, only having to buy one type of ammo and magazine. Practice and familiarity are similar.

There are scenarios that it can be beneficial to have a BUG. They are less likely than only having one, but needing a gun to begin with can be unlikely.

I don't currently carry a BUG, only because I can't afford one right now. I will as soon as I can. My primary is an H&K VP9. I'm hoping they come out with a subcompact version to share magazines. I open carry the primary, and have toyed with the idea of concealing the BUG.

Last edited:
My BUG just went from a single action SBH to a DA/SA Redhawk.

I carry my BUG in an off body carry satchel, my thinking being that if I need a second gun in a grapple I just need to grapple harder, and that if I'm involved in a terrorist attack or mass shooting event that a lower capacity smaller gun is no backup at all.

I carry the best gun I can all the time and an even better one in my bag, and I trust .44mag against soft body armor.

I do not

I cannot envision a scenario where I was forced to deploy my primary weapon, my spare ammo, and then switch to a back-up weapon that ends well. If things have gone that wrong I have such little chance of escaping without unacceptable losses that having a back-up weapon serves virtually no purpose.

Now those who are a in a position where the first option is not retreat have entirely different scenarios that are plausible. I do not.

I cannot envision a scenario where I was forced to deploy my primary weapon, my spare ammo, and then switch to a back-up weapon that ends well. If things have gone that wrong I have such little chance of escaping without unacceptable losses that having a back-up weapon serves virtually no purpose.

Just because you can't envision it, doesn't mean it could never happen.

Why would having "little chance of escaping" matter if you were in that type of scenario? You'd just lie down and accept your fate or something?

Also, I mainly carry a back-up in the event I may need to arm someone else. Which I'd done several times already.

The Achilles heel of a semi-automatic handgun are the magazines (spare mags).

A type three malfunction could get nasty. Really nasty. A second gun is a good quick remedy just in case you're having trouble clearing it.

My back-up gun can never "go out of battery" in that it is a J-frame revolver. If the fight is close, I can jam my pistol into the attacker and let rounds off without needing to worry about hearing a *click* with my Glock pistol, which would require two hands to reset that trigger.

Many benefits to it, none really against it. Aside from attire and comfort. If someone doesn't want to carry a back-up gun, that's fine. But they're more pluses to it than not.

Its a risk to reward scenario for me. There is only an extremely remote chance of ever actually having to deploy my primary concealed carry weapon. However I have decided, in my mind, that there are scenarios where I would not only successfully deploy by carry weapon but I would also alter the situation in a way that would result in a favorable outcome. This is adequate reward to deal with the issues associated with carrying a concealed weapon.

The risk to carrying a second weapon is slightly higher than what you are indicated. I have a limited time to train with my primary weapon. I am not so proficient with it that additional training time would not result in additional proficiency. Thus any time I would devote to training with a back-up weapon would actually take away from my proficiency (or future proficiency) with a primary weapon.

Further virtually all of my retention training and practice involve a firearm carried strong side. I'm very competent at assuring my strong side firearm stays where it is supposed to be. Arm placement in crowds or when passing people has become second nature. This would not be so with a BUG.

If my primary weapon fails I cannot envision a scenario where I am unable to remedy the failure BUT can manage to draw and employ my back-up weapon. In that case I am already likely resorting to tactics that do not require a gun - even if they are desperate.

I don't have the training or ability to stare down and overcome remarkable odds. Two or three determined individuals are likely to overcome what defenses I can offer. Having a second gun is not going to remedy that.

Think of the things that have gone wrong:

1) I have failed to assess and remove myself and family from the situation
2) At the first sign of trouble I have attempted to and failed to retreat - I am now in a position where safe retreat is not possible
3) I have failed to appease my attackers demands with any material goods they think I have
4) My attackers are actively engaged in violent aggression
5) I have failed to dissuade my attackers with presentation and subsequent use of a firearm. Further this has also not remedied my inability to retreat

At this time my attackers are both formidable and committed. For my gun to fail in a way I could not remedy would require contact distance like coming out of battery as you suggest (I have never had a non-induced failure on my firearm - failure induced my including snap caps in the magazine for practice). My hopes have gone down to a lack of determination by my attacker or an ability to physically overcome him. I just do not see where I would be able to draw and employ a back-up firearm at this point. I do see where practicing with a back-up firearm rather than my primary weapon could result in this situation arising more rapidly.

without needing to worry about hearing a *click* with my Glock pistol, which would require two hands to reset that trigger.

Uhhhh....not how that works. If the gun is out of battery the trigger is disconnected and you wont get a click. As the gun goes into battery you can pull the trigger and it will fire.

Even if somehow the trigger WAS dead in that scenario, it does not require 2 hands to fix.

Folks, while you may be interested in thongs, we are not. Certainly not pictures of such.

I agree that the NAA 22s can be hidden in even unmentionable places but let's get back on topic.

Its a risk to reward scenario for me. There is only an extremely remote chance of ever actually having to deploy my primary concealed carry weapon. However I have decided, in my mind, that there are scenarios where I would not only successfully deploy by carry weapon but I would also alter the situation in a way that would result in a favorable outcome. This is adequate reward to deal with the issues associated with carrying a concealed weapon.

The risk to carrying a second weapon is slightly higher than what you are indicated. I have a limited time to train with my primary weapon. I am not so proficient with it that additional training time would not result in additional proficiency. Thus any time I would devote to training with a back-up weapon would actually take away from my proficiency (or future proficiency) with a primary weapon.

Further virtually all of my retention training and practice involve a firearm carried strong side. I'm very competent at assuring my strong side firearm stays where it is supposed to be. Arm placement in crowds or when passing people has become second nature. This would not be so with a BUG.

If my primary weapon fails I cannot envision a scenario where I am unable to remedy the failure BUT can manage to draw and employ my back-up weapon. In that case I am already likely resorting to tactics that do not require a gun - even if they are desperate.

I don't have the training or ability to stare down and overcome remarkable odds. Two or three determined individuals are likely to overcome what defenses I can offer. Having a second gun is not going to remedy that.

Think of the things that have gone wrong:

1) I have failed to assess and remove myself and family from the situation
2) At the first sign of trouble I have attempted to and failed to retreat - I am now in a position where safe retreat is not possible
3) I have failed to appease my attackers demands with any material goods they think I have
4) My attackers are actively engaged in violent aggression
5) I have failed to dissuade my attackers with presentation and subsequent use of a firearm. Further this has also not remedied my inability to retreat

At this time my attackers are both formidable and committed. For my gun to fail in a way I could not remedy would require contact distance like coming out of battery as you suggest (I have never had a non-induced failure on my firearm - failure induced my including snap caps in the magazine for practice). My hopes have gone down to a lack of determination by my attacker or an ability to physically overcome him. I just do not see where I would be able to draw and employ a back-up firearm at this point. I do see where practicing with a back-up firearm rather than my primary weapon could result in this situation arising more rapidly.

That's fair, very fair. Gave me a few things to consider and some things to possibly work on. Thank you for that.

it is probably semantics but it must be pointed out that those who carry for a living differentiate between a back up gun (BUG) and a second gun.

back up gun: J frame 38, G26 et cetera.....

second gun: Seecamp, NAA mini revolvers, derringers....

and again, some states do not allow the carrying of more than one gun. check your state laws on such carry.

Back