How many of you are carrying a BUG.?

RECTIFIER

I'm referring to a back-up-gun. Most LEO's carry at least one, sometimes two BUGs.

I realize it's a personal type matter, some may not wish to disclose such matters. Me.? I always carry a BUG, even if it's my Taurus PT22, yes, it's not a powerful gun, but it works.

If I had to rely on it, 8 rds of .22lr at close range would be deadly.

Nope, if my 45 and extra mag can't cut it, I doubt that my 380 would be any additional help. If you can not rely on your primary weapon, then you are carrying the wrong gun. Don't try to change horses in mid stream, you will get wet. (LOL) If I needed to transition to an other weapon, I would go to my AR-15, not exactly something I would call a bug.

Stay safe.
Jim

Last edited:
I realize it's a personal type matter, some may not wish to disclose such matters.

Not quite as simple as you'd like to make it, or a "personal type matter."

In New Mexico, you're only allowed to carry one (1) gun concealed.

This means you would have to open carry your main handgun in order to carry a backup gun concealed.

Or, carry your main handgun concealed and the backup gun open carried.

Either way - doesn't make much sense to carry a backup gun in New Mexico.

My suggestion is to know the state laws on concealed carry in whichever states you intend to conceal carry before you assume it's okay to carry two concealed handguns.

I'm a police officer and on duty I absolutely do carry a back up gun.

When off duty and carrying a firearm for personal and family protection I do not. I carry an extra magazine, a set of handcuffs, a knife, and a small flashlight.

I don't carry a second firearm because it's solely a defensive tool now and I will use it just long enough to get out of the situation so I can call 911 and have the on duty and in uniform officers handle the situation.

I just carry one. With a spare mag and the other stuff I need in my pockets, I would have to go to an ankle rig or something to carry a BUG. I am satisfied with the reliability of my primary though.

Almost never. Occasionally I will throw a 2nd gun in my pocket just for the hell of it, but I'd rather carry extra 9mm mags than a .380 pocket pistol. I also don't feel like spending the money on a good ankle holster for something I don't see myself needing, and can't use half the year anyway when wearing shorts.

I also don't feel like spending the money on a good ankle holster for something I don't see myself needing

I understand why you'd have that feeling.

Another really good reason to have a back-up gun is to arm a loved one.

I occasionally step out of my vehicle at gas stations at random to get a drink when I'm out and about with my fiance. I just hand her my Model 60 S&W and carry onto the store.

That's just one of the many reasons I'd like to let people know about.

My normal carry gun would be considered a BUG, it's either a 942 or LC9. Occasionally a 2-1/2" model 19.

On-duty, definitely.

Off-duty, defintiely. If I'm wearing jeans or cargo pants, then I have a BUG in an ankle holster. If it's summer and I'm just wearing shorts, then it's my main EDC and a BUG in a pocket holster, depending on the type of shorts, etc.

When I worked that required carrying issued firearm, I did carry a back up. This was after a coworker was hit in back of head with 2x4. As he laid on ground semi conscious they tried to remove his gun while accomplice rooted other on to shoot him. He was barely able to roll over on his weapon to prevent this till they gave up and ran.

I usually only carry what most would concider a BUG in a pocket, I usually have a full size gun in a plan B day planner that's close by.

When I worked that required carrying issued firearm, I did carry a back up. This was after a coworker was hit in back of head with 2x4. As he laid on ground semi conscious they tried to remove his gun while accomplice rooted other on to shoot him. He was barely able to roll over on his weapon to prevent this till they gave up and ran.

That's unfortunate. Thankfully he survived. It happened here in Miami while I was also doing overnight loss prevention in a really bad area. Not at my place at the time. A small ways from there. The suspect punched the guard, took his pistol, and shot him in the head. He then walked 10 feet away and shot himself. The guard was alive for several more minutes before he passed away on the scene. His partner arrived and was trying to help him. In all that stress, his partner was screaming to the people around him to call the police and he didn't know where he was.

I know this doesn't have much, if anything to do with a BUG. Could it have helped in this situation? I'm not sure. They did struggle a bit. So I'd like to think there was a small chance.

Anyways, be safe out there.

Back