How Many Magazines You Carry for CCW.

Four, but some of my friends think I'm a bit paranoid. Well. I'm not, but that doesn't mean that some people are not trying to get me!

wow,
its great to see that no one has said "none" yet. more ammo is great, but even if my carry gun was a 9mm glock with a 33rd mag inserted (we all know its impractical, just making a point), it makes sense to always carry at least one spare mag for malfunction clearance if nothing else.
best,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

When I carry concealed I carry one extra reload. My work vehicle has three extra reloads in my "tool" bag.

Neil Casper

I carry 9 rds of hallow pnt. in my 45ACP, 1 spare 8rnd mag on my belt and 1 mag of ball in my car glove box.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

While I don't CCW.. what I carry on my belt really depends on the weapon and how many spares I have available.

I usually carry two spares on my belt (generally because magazine pouches are made for 2 spares) for whatever I'm packing, unless its my 380, since I only have 1 spare mag. If its a revolver I usually carry 3 speed loads plus what's in the gun for a total of 24 rounds.

I often felt if I had a really high cap pistol like a glock or vp70z I'd only carry one spare and put a mag lite or leatherman in the empty pouch.

Somebody once said...
"if you need more than box of ammo you need the cavalry.. not more bullets" Then again I've seen cops with 4 spare mags for thier Glocks...

In this day and age of PC-ness, even in CCW states, I wonder if the number of reloads (even if you didn't use them) could get you in trouble with a lawyer.. in a lawsuit or crimninal case. IE "the shooter had 4 High Capacity magazines and was therefore LOOKING to start trouble" or some such thing.. any thoughts??

Dr.Rob

1 spare mag, one tiny backup gun.

If they come after you for extra mags,
just hope you haven't had to shoot them
for just one assailant. That's a joke.

Do what you need to do.

In fact, I carry only one extra because
of dress concerns, etc. not that I wouldn't
carry more.

Well, it depends on where I'll be that day and the threat level. Normally, I carry 1 spare just incase the mag in the weapon malfunctions. But I have been known to carry 3-4 in moderately dangerous areas to 8 on my person with more in the truck when in seriously hostile enviroments. I never leave home without at least 1 spare, however. FWIW.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

One in the gun, one on the belt, and two in the glovebox.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Greeting Sirs:

I feel good to read your good post's. It shows how we react on the number of mags we carry. It seems that the majority carry more than 2 pcs of mags, if not on the body several spares on their cars or if not, some carries 2 firearms.

Tecolote, I carry 1911 full size always whilst I am on my country, 7 feed Mag on the pistol and three 8 rounders McCormick on my three holes pouch and with leatherman of course as my utility knife.

Dr. Rob, you touch a point that some might be conceiving in their minds, that carrying 2, 3 or more mags seems "Looking for trouble", but as others said no laws in your locality or perhaps in US that limit the number of ammo for CCW. In my case, I must not exceed on the 50 rds prescribed by my gov't so as not to transgressed their law. But as Glen Meyer have said, "Do what you need to do" I think is the best solution.

Hard Ball, you have a point also that friends or some people we know might think we are that paranoid or obsessed carrying 3 or more on our mag pouche.

Again, I appreciate good ideas from different people like you here who commented.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited January 05, 2000).]

Glad SOMEONE mentioned the "malfunction theory". I'd like to add the "tactical reload theory" as well. In the heat of a gunfight, ANYONE will lose count of rounds fired. (Officer, I only fired 2 or 3 shots." But there's brass everywhere.) Any time there is a lull in the action, or you're lucky enough to make it to cover....TACTICAL RELOAD !!!

I carry one spare with me but not on me.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

I carry one mag in the gun, and two on the belt (weak side).

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

It depends on what I'm carrying, but usually one if the mag is double stack, or two if it's single stack. Don't forget a light, I always have my 6P with me just in case.

------------------
"We all have it coming, kid..." Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven

One in the Berretta (10rd's jhp) one on my person (15rd's 115gr fmj) I don't have a car but I would keep a few in there if I had one

But around y2k I carried 4 extra mags (you never know)

One full mag in gun, one fully loaded mag in pouch.

Does everybody carry fully loaded spares?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

I normally carry 2 spares(one with +p ranger SXT one with 230gr Gold Dot)for my Gold Cup. One in the fanny pack and one in a belt pouch. If no fanny pack then one loose in a back pocket.I also keep an extended mag full of hardball in the car.I should have the license for my DKL 380 in a couple of weeks which I will us as a backup and I will carry one spare loaded with hardball for that.When I carried my Berretta 92 I carried at least 1 spare (124gr gold dots).
i dont know any one who died because they had too much ammo.

One spare pre ban for my Glock 20 (15 rounds) :)

------------------
OJ
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Gun control is a steady hand and hitting with the first shot.

Back