How many magazines do you carry?

How many magazines do you carry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most the time I pocket carry a M&P9c with a back up gun in the other pocket. If I am carrying a 1911 I carry a spare mag and a backup gun. If I carry a full size M&P9 I carry the 9 compact as a back up. So I guess I carry a spare mag it's just in a different gun. I carry the same if I am going to the big city or church. Bad guys travel and can show up anywhere.

XDM-45 3.8 on carry with extra mag on belt. Full Size XDM-45 in the car with 2 additional mags when traveling. All can use the same mags except the compact mags won't go into the full size.

Always +1 camp.

Springfield XDE 45 with an extended 8-round magazine loaded in the gun and another one like that as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One extra. And pray that I am never involved in a gun fight. Any gun fight is going to be a 50/50 proposition. You either win, or you lose. I am not willing to gamble on that. I carry as a last resort. Meaning that if I am cornered and have no place to run, I have my weapon to protect me if possible. Other than that if there is an escape, I will take it.

I carried a Kahr PM9 which held 6 rounds with the flush fitting magazine. While the one in the chamber already gave me more rounds than a typical revolver, I started carrying the two 7 round spare mags in my back pocket for a total of 21 rounds. My first version was shipping envelope cardboard lined with Tyvex in the inside, and duct tape on the outside. Laugh all you want, but it lasted for a long time. When I switched to the Glock 43, I got fancy and made a mag pouch of Cordura fabric with kydex to keep it rigid. I bought the plus 2 extenders so I go up to 23 rounds total. Fortunately, the same Mag pouch works for my Springfield Armory Hellcat mags. I carry two 13 round mags, but I carry with the 11 round mag for conceal ability. Total round count jumped to 38 rounds. I tried carrying with the 13 round mag, but the extra length affect conceal ability slightly.

Some people ask why I carry 2 mags and if I really think I’d ever need that many rounds. 2 mags is much easier to carry and it looks more like a wallet. The mags stay properly oriented and don’t move around.

Last edited:
Do you mean Kahr PM9?
Magguts makes conversion kit so you can carry 7 rounds in that "flush" 6 round mag. I have one and it works great and the +! kit for the 7 round mag as well.

Do you mean Kahr PM9?
Magguts makes conversion kit so you can carry 7 rounds in that "flush" 6 round mag. I have one and it works great and the +! kit for the 7 round mag as well.

Sorry, autocorrect changed it on me and I didn’t notice. Yes, it was a Kahr PM9. I would probably never go back to carrying it though since I am very happy with my Springfield Armory Hellcat. It has a much better trigger and double the mag capacity.

Since my glock holds 8+1 "+2 extended mag" I have to carry an extra mag. Whenever I carry my S&W 2.0 compact which has a capacity of 15+1 I only carry the mag that's on the gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm one of the 1 in the gun 2 reloads on the belt. Same for revolvers, single stack, or double stack magazines. So my ammunition load varies a good but 15 to 46 rounds.

Rather than go by magazines, I prefer to go by count. My magic number for revolvers is 24 and semi-autos is 30. Anything over that is a bonus. I chose the number for revolvers because three speed loaders is about all I can conceal.

Around where I live....ONE mag in the handgun. If out hiking; two or three extra mags depending on where I am hiking/camping.

But I live in a nice quiet town; however, if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, etc., I might carry an extra mag.

Around where I live....ONE mag in the handgun. If out hiking; two or three extra mags depending on where I am hiking/camping.

But I live in a nice quiet town; however, if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, etc., I might carry an extra mag.

Criminals have feet and cars. Nowhere is "safe". If you're not sure about this, read your local PD crime report and get on Nextdoor app. You're missing all sorts of activity!

Carry a spare mag anyway. It's good practice and you never know if you'll have to top off the gun after a fight. After all, it may be two fights, not one.

Guess we can't give an honest answer anymore without someone stepping in implying I am crazy for my reply.

As someone who, when worked carried multiple magazines I know and understand very well how criminals get around and on occasion I do read the local crime reports; however, at coffee a few times a week, I get the full info in person from the Sheriff.

To imply I don't understand that criminals are every where is ludicrous and proves you DO NOT know me; and will NEVER know me.

If you are afraid to walk around without an extra mag, then why not carry two, three, four.....?

As for the "nextdoor" app...yea I looked at that for a few seconds. I don't live in a neighborhood, my next door neighbor is far away; we all keep to ourselves and we all want to keep it that way.

( I must say thanks for the reply; I just looked and found this site has an "ignore list." Cool.

Last edited:
I went to a G26 when they first came out and have pretty much stayed there. I recently switched to the magpul 12rd mag, so 12+1. That's what I usually carry.

All our vehicles carry extra mags. Usually 15rd G19 mags. If needed, I drop one in a pocket.

Rarely, I carry a Beretta Pico. I always drop a second mag in the pocket.

For fun, when it's cold (about 1.5wks of the year), I might carry the G20.

Criminals have feet and cars. Nowhere is "safe". If you're not sure about this, read your local PD crime report and get on Nextdoor app. You're missing all sorts of activity!

Carry a spare mag anyway. It's good practice and you never know if you'll have to top off the gun after a fight. After all, it may be two fights, not one.

What?!!! ;)

Its much more convenient to think of "them" as immobile and nocturnal, especially the "hard to stop" type.

Surely psychos/criminals that materialize in a "good" area will be undetermined, anemic; if they don't run away, a round or two (100% hits expected) of 22lr incapacitate them ASAP.

LOL. :D

I carry one spare mag for the primary pistol and a pocket pistol for back up. Usually a Taurus 732 or a Beretta 3032 get the call for the back up.

One spare mag always. Usually have one in the car, and more in my travel bag when I go to the big city.

Back