How many magazines do you carry?

How many magazines do you carry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Many pistol malfunctions are magazine related, and many people under intense stress fire until the gun goes CLICK. I'd like to think I can clear malfunctions well and don't just shoot and shoot, but I've never been in that situation. Carrying an extra mag seems sensible.

If I get in a shoot out with the first mag full +1 will get shot at him or her to stop the threat. If I have to change mags the rest of the shots will be covering fire to get me out of there, to my car or truck where I have more ammo & a small rifle that has way more power than a pistol.

The magazine in the gun so 7 + 1 round. Sometimes depending on where I am going the additional two mags but seldom.

Kimber%201.png

Ron

I used to carry just what was in the EDC (SIG P365) - usually 12+1.
I have changed to at least the 15-round as the extra and sometimes a third.

At work I carry two spare magazines. Onmyown time I carry one spare mag and occasionally add pepper spray, a black jack, or fixed blade knife depending on where I am going and the "mood" of the area.

Hmmm, only post 21 cites magazine failures as a good reason for carrying a spare (I agree) but the majority cite threat and capacity as the major reason. Just an surprising observation so far.

I would have thought more people worried about magazines failing or needing an extra magazine in case of malfunctions. Not everything is tap and rack with the existing magazine.

Right now, just the mag inside a handgun.

If the November election goes a "certain way" I will Then keep a very small German leather pouch on my belt with a second mag: for the P6, P99 or CZ 'PCR'.

Luckily the Memphis area was quiet after the election in 2016.

The beauty of carrying a Glock 19, is the capacity with the 15 round flush-fitting magazine is 16 rounds, a decent amount, the Glock 17 round magazine, as a spare, gives you a total round count of 37 rounds, a lot!
And the mag change does not pinch your hand, as a 15 round magazine tends to do. On me anyhow.

I carry a 642 revolver, only the 5 rounds in the gun. With all that's going on right now I'm thinking about something that holds 15 rounds, maybe an M&P with a safety.

1. Only the magazine in the pistol
2. One extra magazine
3. More than one extra magazine

(I should have allowed multiple choices as for many people it vary on the situation and day to day, but guess at your regular habit)

Voted 1 + 1, but sometimes will throw a third into a pocket, times being what they are. It's just a single stack subcompact 9mm after all.

7+1, plus 9, plus possibly a spare 8 rounder in the pocket.

Magazine malfunctions, I suppose, are a consideration. And, yes, I know the statistics say it's extremely unlikly one will need to reload because you ran out.

Pete2,
If I'm carry my revolver, I carry a speedloader and 8 round speed strip in a pouch I made that fits into my rear pocket. So 5 round revolver gets 5+5+8=18 rounds total. A 6 round revolver gets 6+6+8 for 20.
So a revolver doesn't really get less overall capacity, just loaded capacity.
And it's much easier to carry speed strips than magazines.

When I was working in my plainclothes assignment, we were required to carry at least one spare magazine. Didn't matter if you carried an issued double or single stack duty weapon. (I carried an issued single stack .45 toward the end of my career, which used 7rd mags.) There were times when I was working I was working in some of the more "active" areas, or on a warrant detail, when I'd carry a couple spares.

Nowadays, in my retirement, I typically carry one spare mag, except when I pocket-holster one of my LCP's. I don't often carry a spare LCP mag. Why? A couple reasons. First, the really small LCP is not easy to manipulate at speed to reload, including inserting & seating the mag in the really short grip. The slide not locking back on an empty mag doesn't help. Second, the LCP is what I carry when I don't anticipate the need to be armed.

Now, for road trips when I'm going to be away from home for some time, I often carry additional spare mags (and spare boxed ammunition). Might be 1-3 "extra" spares ... or, some years ago, while on a motorcycle trip through some remote places, I carried something like a dozen spare mags for the only full-size double stack pistol I own.

Depends.

I am curious about the weapons and ammo carried by people. I only carry a gun where there could possibly be trouble. If I feel there is trouble I wouldn’t go near it. I realize in today’s world stupid stuff can happen anywhere any time. I’m not running around fearing for my life nor am I stupid enough to go into potentially dangerous situations. Whatever I’m in it’s not going to be an extended battle so what’s in gun is all I need. I may be spoiled by living in a place that has almost no crime and goes years without violent crime. The only time I was worried was back several years when we had Dillion the sniper killing people who were hunting and fishing in our area. Almost no way to combat that. Most all major problems are a product of the cities and a certain group of people.

I only carry what's in the gun, but usually have one extra in the car. If I was expecting trouble I'd carry more.

Avoiding the situation would be wiser than carrying more magazines, in my opinion.

I carry one in the pistol, right pocket, one extra mag in left pocket. that's 15 rounds total. Plenty for me to get the heck out of the area. I'm old but I bet I could surprise myself at how fast I could run if needed. ;)

I usually carry at least one extra magazine...

Currently carry my 9mm 642-1. Five in the gun, and either two or three extra moonclips.

Glock 19/23/32 + 1 spare magazine, regardless of location.
Spare mag is useful in event of malfunction, not just extra bullets.
Nowhere would I prefer to defend myself with a pocket 380/38 snub than a Glock 19/23/32 and I carry accordingly.

48bzq6.jpg

I fall into the +1 camp. The second mag is more for malfunctions/problem solving then extra ammo loadout.

Clint Smith has a good story about catching the baseplate of his pistol on something as he got out of his patrol car. The baseplate ripped off and the spring and ammo vomited out of the holstered gun.

He simply pushed the mag release button ejecting the mag body and inserted a new mag....problem solved.

Without a spare mag, he would have had the worlds most unhandy single shot pistol

I usually carry only the VP9sk with a 13-round mag. However, if I'm driving, I always put the gun rug in my truck's center console. The rug holds an additional 5 mags. I'm reasonably sure I will never need this much ammo, but it's a convenient travel package.

Back