How many magazines do you carry?

How many magazines do you carry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HighValleyRanch

1. Only the magazine in the pistol
2. One extra magazine
3. More than one extra magazine

(I should have allowed multiple choices as for many people it vary on the situation and day to day, but guess at your regular habit)

Last edited:
Just the mag in the pistol.

I own single-mag carriers for every pistol I carry (Kahr CW380, Glock 42, Glock 26), but still haven't made the leap to actually carrying an extra mag. However, at the range, whenever a mag goes empty, I always take the next mag from a mag carrier rather than just grabbing it off the shooting bench, so at least I do get a lot of practice drawing a spare mag and inserting it without looking.

I carry the original mag + 2 others. They are only 8 shot magazines and they fit on my belt so they aren't a burden.

I carry a SW40VE with one 14 round magazine and a Ruger LCP with a spare magazine as a backup.

For the longest time I carried nothing but one single stack pistol with no reloads whatsoever, but as of last Summer I began carrying more. I don't foresee myself ever requiring the use of all the ammunition that I carry on my person and hopefully will be able to go through life without ever having to fire a single shot, but it makes me feel more secure to carry two guns with plenty of ammunition.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

1 in the gun, 2 on my belt. Since i'm usually out and about wandering the city I throw another 3 in my backpack because why not

1 in the gun - but - I usually carry a spare (backup) gun.
Same here :D

EDC2.jpg

It depends. If the gun holds less than 10 I'm more likely carry a spare, but only 1. My G43 comes to mind. My Sig 365 holds 10 or 12 +1 depending on the mag and I rarely carry a spare in urban situations. Same with the 15 round G19. But each situation is different. But regardless I don't carry more than 1 in urban situations

I keep spare mags in the truck, and in more rural situations am more likely to carry extra ammo.

In an urban setting help is going to arrive soon. In a more remote location LE may be 30-45 minutes away. I may carry 2 or more in rural or wilderness settings.

A couple of years ago I parked at a local store and as I was getting out of my car 3-4 patrol cars pulled into the lot at the same time. Within 60 seconds there were a total of 7 there. From 4 different agencies. City PD, county PD, Sheriff's deputies and a GSP officer.

The 1st 3 officers ran through the door with their hands on their pistols. But came back out within a few seconds. An employee sitting at her desk accidentally hit the silent alarm with her knee. But I was impressed with the quick response.

Just the one in the gun.

So with the HiPower, 13+1, 1911 gets 8+1, Glock 26 is 10+1.

Not packing an extra mag doesn’t bother me. My primary carry guns are both revolvers, packing 5 in one, 6 in the other, with no speed loaders or extra ammo.

My normal carry is my 5-shot 357 snubby @ 4 o'clock and two Safariland speed loaders right in front of it. And in either the left inside pocket of my down vest ... or its cross-draw holster, my compact 16-round 380 semi-auto. That's 31 rounds of ammo. Actually a ridiculous amount of ammo, about the only way I could possibly use it would be something like being hunkered down behind a car or something and fighting off a whole gang of thugs ... which is highly unlikely.

If I'm carrying a double-stack gun, I rarely have a spare mag on my person.
If I'm carrying a single-stack gun, I usually carry a spare on my person.
I will admit to sometimes carrying a single-stack gun without a spare. :D

I have a 9+1 single stack 9mm. I normally just call that good.

I'm starting to think about adding another 7rnd mag in my pocket with all the chaos going on.

I mostly just carry the mag in the pistol because I'm usually carrying in a car back and forth from the office. The office itself is as reasonably secure as one could expect. When the situation warrants, I'll carry an extra mag and sometimes an extra gun.

Back