How many guns do you take to the range?

2 minimum, but usually 3. Never know when one may give an issue and I'd rather use my time at the range then have to pack up and go home cuz I didn't bring enough guns.

I usually take three for myself, once in a great while a fourth (when I want to put a few rounds through one of my more rarely shot guns). The count can go up if someone goes with me and they want to shoot something in particular. I expect help in cleaning when that happens.

Minimum of 4 rifles, and 1 to 4 handguns, if center-fire. For rimfire, just two rifles and a Ruger 22/45. Unfortunately if my son comes along, he usually also brings at least 3 center-fire rifles, as well. The Forester gets a little crowded!

I'm trying to downsize how many I usually bring lately. Before it would be 5-7 now I'm trying to not do more than 3 to get better quality practice in instead of feeling rushed to shoot every gun I brought.

When we lived in Southern California, the two nearest outdoor ranges were a two-hour drive away from us so we'd take dang nearly everything with us. We always had a ton of fun shooting but the cleaning chores were a deterrent.

Now, I live 15 minutes from the range and I only usually take two or three pistols and a couple of rifles. It just depends on my mood. If I'm helping a new shooter decide what pistols to buy, I'll take most of my handguns. If I'm teaching someone to shoot, I definitely bring a revolver and a couple of large frame pistols as well as a .22LR rifle.

--Wag--

Shot in an informal Bullseye course Wednesday-7/4. Carried four handguns. One 45 and a 22 for the match. Fired 9mm after everybody had gone home. Other .22 was not fired. It was a great day.

Always at least 2 never more than 3. I don't have a hand gun permit, so don't do hand guns. Don't mind the cleaning part of it. Gives me more time with my guns.

So does the saying " I need more guns so I can take less " make sense to anyone ? I have two 9mm , one is a small carry type the other is my SD/HD gun that's set up for that purpose in it's own lock box . I don't like disturbing the SD/HD gun because it's just the way I want it and ready if need be . The little carry gun is good but nothing I want to shoot all day so 9mm is out for me . So that means I'll want to get some time with the carry gun but will likely bring another to plink with the rest of the day . Unless I buy another 9mm lol ????

Then there's the issue of having a new load work up for another hand gun I'm going to test on Monday so now that's 3 handguns I'll be taking . I'll also take at least one rifle , likely two so I'm at 4 or 5 with out even trying .

Last edited:
I don't like disturbing the SD/HD gun because it's just the way I want it and ready if need be . The little carry gun is good but nothing I want to shoot all day so 9mm is out for me .
Once I am firmly settled on an SD/HD or carry gun, I start looking for a good deal on a duplicate model. There are a number of reasons why it might be a good idea to have a second copy of a self-defense/"working" gun, including the one you stated.

Today my grandson and I took four rifles and two handguns to the range. Usually when I'm shooting, I've taken just enough but once I start cleaning them, I took too many.

On a typical trip I will take 10. 8 will be handguns that fit into one backpack. The two rifles will fit into on double rifle case. I tend to put the ammo for them into 3 ammo cans. When I get to the range they get the cart with the trailer when they see my truck pull into the parking lot.

I do not always shoot all of the handguns. Though I keep them in the pack for storage so I have the option to shoot them all if I wish to. Also cleaning is done at the range before leaving to go home.

I took 7 today and 2 did not get used , 1 because I forgot it was there and I needed to function test it because it was used but new to me . The other I never got to .

Went to the range yesterday with friends, 3 rifles and 7 handguns, along with about 300 rounds of ammo. It was a lot of fun. I was going to say it was a blast, but that would be a bad pun, so I won't say that.

I used to bring 5 - 6 guns, so I get most "bang for the buck" with the gun range entry fee. Now that I'm a member at my range and can go as much as I want during the year, I go more often and only bring 1 - 2 guns per trip.

Back