How many guns and rounds for a typical range session

Depends on the caliber. If I am shooting 44 Mag, probably only around a box. If it's 9mm, probably 300 rounds. As for number of guns, somewhere between two and half a dozen.

I shoot a weekly bullseye league that runs from labor day to memorial day I usually shoot one gun 50 rounds, I will sometimes shoot a mag or cylinder two through something else as they won't charge me a range fee on those nights.

When I shoot sporting clays it's one gun and 50-100 rounds

When I shoot IDPA or IPSC it's one gun and 100-200 rounds

When I go out to shoot just for fun or to work on something loads/sights it's usually 3 or 4 guns and 50-250 rounds.

My shooting has dramatically changed over the years.
When I regularly attended matches and twice monthly organized practice, it was with pistols, revolvers, rifle and shotguns, with from 500 to 1,000 rounds a month, mostly my own reloads.
Plus airgun practice at home in the garage.
Now a days, airguns dominate, mostly due to the .22 rimfire shortages and the loss of convenient and useful ranges.
Range restrictions have greatly curtailed my activities and the need for much ammo.
Since there are no such restrictions at my garage airgun range, typically I now only go to the local ranges just a few times a year and rarely use more than 50 rounds per gun.
With a more focused approach, that's proved to be plenty, too.

My range is right outside my house, so I try to shoot every weekend when the weather is nice. Usually 1 rifle, Ruger American in .223. I'm just starting to shoot again after about 30 years away from it so I'm trying to get back to being consistent with it. Seeing a lot of improvement after a summer shooting again. Normally I will use 80 to 160 rounds. Depends on how many other chores I need to get done.

I try to go once a month. I might take anywhere from 2 to 5 handguns, and go through anywhere from 50 to 200 rounds per person per gun. With the exception of .22LR, I generally use fewer rounds with pistols that I am more accurate with and use more up working on my technique when I see larger groups. The .22LR is the exception because it's just a heap of fun.

Do you guys remember when you used to take them all ? Way to many now for that . I've found of late I do less and less what I call fun shooting and really just work on load development . So lately 2 or three guns and about 2 to 3 hundred rounds .

On fun days ( there just to have fun and blast away ) I used to take 6 to 10 guns ( rifles and handguns ) . I now try to only take 2 to 4 guns to have more quality time with each . Not including 22lr the round count is in the 3 to 5 hundred round area .

Great replies!

Thanks for all the replies. This satisfies my curiosity for now.

I am jealous of those that can open the garage doors and shoot outback!

Me, It is a 45 minute drive to the range.

And low fees? I would love $12 for all day. My range is $30 per person with a 2 hour limit if people are waiting.

I head to the range 3 or 4 times a week, 1-2 guns per trip. For rifles I will run 5-20 rounds from field positions at 100-200 yards, then another 10 or so at 200-500 yards depending on if there is anyone there (most of the time there isn't).

Once a month or so I will run short range rifle drills: left hand left cheek, right hand left cheek, right hand right cheek etc at 15 yards. Every once in a while I will dump a 20 round mag in 3 or 4 seconds just to work the trigger/reset.

Handgun 17-50 rounds once a week from 3 yards to 75 yards. Draw and run, draw and cover etc.

No range fees here at our public range just lots of quiet. It is 6 minutes from the house and I can hear if anyone is there on the rifle range from my front porch.

2 rifles. Win 94-32 special. Savage 99 300. Maybe 25 rounds shot thru each in a day long bench rest session. (Cold bore shots only) Cartridges are Hand Loaded on Club Range property. Each rifle has its own custom resized to bore bullet and each bullet is Paper Patched prior to its Bench Rest outing. Duplex charges are used in both cartridges. Powder used: WC-860 & IMR 4227.

As deer season nears. My 270 makes its appearance at the Range. 2 jacketed cartridges are fired for checking 270 accuracy. 300 sav & 270 are then cleaned and cased for transport on Deer Opener. 32 special goes into the safe.

I belong to an indoor pistol club range, so I can go whenever I want, 24/7 unless there is a match scheduled. My typical visit is for about an hour, sometimes less, and typically about 100 rounds fired. If I take my 22LR revolver, then I might shoot about 150-200 rounds with that gun plus 100 with one of my carry guns, i.e., 9mm or 38 Special. My home defense gun is a Glock 17 that I feel quite comfortable with so I only shoot that at the range occasionally for about 50 rounds just to retain familiarity with handling this gun.

Depends on what I'm going to the range for, function check, accuracy check, etc. I've fired as few as 40 rounds and left, or as many as 500 in a single setting, depending on what I am doing or want to do, or more likely, what i think I'm doing...:D

Last week I put 100 rounds through my Shield 9mm, 100 rounds through the XDm .45 Compact, and 80 rounds through the AR 15. I had a Mossberg pump and Ruger 10/22 but didn't get to fire those two.

I usually make it to an outdoor range at least once a month, and that is pretty typical of the number of rounds I shoot. I can't spend more than about 2½ hours at the range. Not as young as I once was.

About 50 rounds fir each of our 2 guns.
If I have not hit the target by than. I better give up.;)

I found plastic ammo boxes to use. Rather than carry large amounts of unneeded ammo.
They come in all caliber and hold 50 or 100 rounds

Last edited:
Minutes away from two indoor ranges.

Shoot 3 to 5 times a week.

One gun---revolver or auto---about 50 rounds.

Then it's time to go to lunch.

The disadvantage of carrying everything out is the fact that you might use it.

I've had what was planned as a couple of hours of shooting turned into 8hrs later all ammo depleted. It's good to have an ammo budget at times.

Back