How many guns and rounds for a typical range session

WW2

I am just curious about how many guns and rounds of ammunition you use in a typical range session. Also, how often do you get to the range?

In my last range session:

Six Guns
LR308 (7.62 NATO and .308 Win),
AR 7.62x39,
Remington 7615 (5.56 NATO and .223 Rem),
Hi-Point 995TS (9mm NATO (9x19)),
Mosin-Nagant (7.62x54R),
12-gauge shotgun,
and a bullpup in .223 Rem​

We took an average of 150 rounds per gun. We used an actual average of 50 rounds per gun.

Three people (The Mosin-Nagant, 12-Guage and bullpup were from another person hence the reason I did not know the models.

Total range time was 2 hours.​

Unfortunately this was the first time I was able to get to the range in two years! I hope to be able to go monthly from here on out.

Depends on indoors vs outdoors. Indoors I am just looking for a quick fix and usually grab a couple handguns and maybe put 50 rounds through each. Now out doors I like to set up steel and bring a couple rifles and handguns with me often running 50-60 rounds through each, so in the neighborhood between 200 and at times up to 300 rounds between 4 firearms. These numbers can very if I have a .22 with me, more rounds, vs. my 44mag, less rounds.

Typically 400-600 rounds at a time for me. The wife will usually shoot 200-300. These are pistol rounds. Ideally twice a month for me and once a month for the wife. About once every two months will break out the shotgun and go through a case of clays.

400+ rounds of 5.56mm and 150+ rounds of 9mm, between my wife and I.

I usually only seem to make it to the range 2-3 times a year. (I have too many other hobbies...)

I belong to an outdoor range that is a 10 minute drive, so I average about 3-4 weeks between range trips. I shoot handguns regularly, around 100 rounds per visit if alone and probably 300 rounds if with friends. Shotguns and rifles about once per year, a case of clays w shotguns, around 50-200 rounds with rifles depending on what I take (less w bolt action or lever gun, more w semiauto)

I usually take 2 or 3 firearms. Maybe 5 or 6 if going with another gun fan/friend.

Last edited:
If I go to a 3Gun match, 3 Guns, about 100 each pistol and rifle and 70 shotgun.

If I go to a pistol match, 1 gun and 130 rounds.

If I go to shoot sporting clays, usually 125 rounds, one gun.

If I go to practice Precision rifle, usually 2 guns and 100 rounds.

If I take the boys just to shoot, 5-8 guns and at least 1,000 rounds.

If I am teaching, can be from 2 to 15 guns and 100 to 2,000 rounds.

If it is just me going to work on pistol, 2 guns and 500 rounds.

I guess I don't have a typical session.

I generally go twice a month and take my carry gun and one maybe two others. I generally shoot a little over 100 rounds through the carry gun basically two 50 round boxes of practice ammo and one magazine of carry ammo. The other one/two guns may get as few as twenty rounds for a J-Frame to maybe 50 for a Ruger Mark II.

Usually 2-3 guns and maybe 200 rounds of ammo. I used to take 4-5 guns shooting the same amount of ammo but I don't like cleaning 5 guns in one day.

Too many guns gets a tad unruly, I now take two, one I want to shoot and one I can shoot if there's a problem with the first.

In the past, I loaded up several guns and would try to shoot them all, or at least family members shoot them.... That's too much work. Now I choose one and a backup gun.

Once every month to 6 weeks for me. Usually with handguns; 100 rounds thru my EDC (Kahr CW40) maybe 50 rounds thru my TCP 380, and 200 rounds thru my Ruger Mk1. If I shoot rifle it's 200 rounds of 223 thru the AR and 100 rounds thru one or more 22s. Tune up for elk hunting means about 10-15 thru my 300 WSM; I have that all taken care of for this season. Worked up a great new load with 175g Barnes LRX.

2-4x a month
1-3 rifles though I prefer to only take 1-2
1-3 handguns

25-50 rounds per rifle
50-100 rds per handgun

Shotgun 2-3x a year 50-100 shella

I usually go about every 7-10 days, and bring three guns. Semis usually eat about 100-150 rds, revolvers 50-100. Bolt-action rifles anywhere from 20-50 rds, levers 100, ARs 200-300.

1-6 handguns, 50 - 500 rounds, 1-3 times per month.
Barrett is once every month or two, ~ 20 - 50 rounds.

My "gun range" is at my open garage door off my kitchen. I may shoot 1 or 2 or3 or 4 or 5 or 6 ...different guns shooting 20-200 rounds. I may shoot every day for a week or two or go a week or two without shooting any. I have it rough here in the mountains.

osbornk
Mountains, sounds like Heaven to me. Takes me 45 minutes to get to the range. I'm a benchrest shooter so I'll shoot 30 rounds in two hours, that's outdoors in the warm months. Cold weather,indoor range I'll shoot a 22lr. 50 rounds. That's once a week for both. osbornk , keep that garage door open. Life is Good.

Handguns 5 times a month at 250 to 300 per outing. Usually two guns.
Rifle three or four times a year. 200-300 rounds between 3-4 guns.
Shotgun same as rifle.

I bring 4 hunting rifles to the range each time.

My primary test or what I demand of each rifle is that it hit right on where I want the shot from the cold barrel.

The shot I get most often is a single shot. I hit the animal or not. Groups are necessary for my target rifles where the test is entirely the opposite!

In matches we get sighter shots and shoot many shots at that same target. I need 'groups' there.

Here are my rifles on a current range session.

023.jpg

From the bottom up.
M70 custom 300 Win mag 22" barrel. 3-9 Conquest. Bullet 155 Berger VLD hunting.
Kimber Montana 7mm WSM. Bullet Berger 140 gr VLD hunting. Leu. 4.5-14- Tactical.
Mauser sporter 30-06 22" octagon barrel. Swarovski 3-9. Bullet 155 Berger VLD.
Kimber Express. 7mm RM 140 Berger VLD. 2-7 Leupold.

023.jpg

Last edited:
I found a range that charges $12 all day with decent facilities. I try to get my moneys worth. Been shooting a couple hundred rounds each visit out of 3-4 guns of different types. Carry gun, target MK II, single six for pure fun. It definitely pushes my ability to concentrate by the time I am done.

Back