How Many EDC Changes?

My first EDC carry gun was a Kahr PM9 and it still is going strong after 12 years. It has never failed and I trust it without question. I prefer pocket carry when the weather allows and while the Kahr is acceptable, it's on the bulky side for me, 5-10 and 160.

I recently got a Sig p238 which is a bit lighter and smaller, making it easier to carry in a front pocket> It's easy to shoot and extremely accurate. When I'm at home (ahh, the retired life ..) I normally store the Sig and replace it with an NAA Pug, which basically can't even be felt. When it's cooler and I can wear a jacket or fleece pullover, the Kahr goes into a paddle holster and is carried crossdraw. I'm not crazy about using a lot of guns for CC; find one you like, shoot it until it's second nature.

Fortunately, although I'm 70, my eyes still work pretty well and I don't have arthritis or any other difficulties with my hands so racking slides and dealing with recoil isn't an issue. I choose to carry the guns I do because I shoot well with them, they function perfectly and I'm confident in using them if needed.

As I age, I'm sure I will change EDC. I like the G19, but I'm an old revolver guy and love them.

Phil

PS: Is there a thread about old guys self defense?

Back in 1982 I carried a revolver .1988 carried a glock,or 1911, as time goes on .
Today SP101 .SEECAMP ,or HK P2000SK lem 40. Beretta 21A .
Like the double action triggers .

I used to change my EDC all of the time. But eventually settled on a 2" S&W Model 60 and just live with it.

Last edited:
There have been days that I have changed the gun I was carrying 5 times in the same day. I probably have changed carry guns 2 dozen times or so.

I have changed my CC gun a few times (Sig P6 -> Walther P99 -> Kahr K9) for comfort (smaller pistol is easier to conceal).
The CC pistol got smaller but my waist is going the other way:(.

The first gun I ever (legally) carried concealed was a J frame Smith that I slipped into my pocket the moment I stepped out of the Sherrif's office with my shiny new CCDW permit in 1997.

I still carry a J frame (340PD) in dress clothes where I have to tuck in my shirt. When in casual clothes I have finally settled on a winter/summer pair depending on how heavy a shirt or jacket I can wear. Summer is a Kahr P9 and winter is a Sig P220 DAK. Both with tritium sights and laser grips.

Of course, there is the occasional exception. I went hiking last fall in a park with bear warning signs posted everywhere, so my carry choice there was a 44 magnum DA revolver in a shoulder holster. When I stopped for dinner on the way home I just put a light fleece jacket over it and walked on in. Nobody seemed to notice the cannon I was packing.

I guess I’ve had an evolution over the past 50 or so years:

1) A little nickel-plated .25 ACP (don’t remember the brand name after all these years) it was the first and, at the time, only gun I had. (I gave it back to the person who gave it to me when I left that part of my life)

2) A High-Standard Citation. It wasn’t well-suited for carry, but was the first gun I ever bought with my own $ and, again, it was the only gun I had.

3) Sistema Colt .45ACP

4) Colt Commander

5) Star BKM 9mm

6) Para-Ordnance .45ACP

I still own the last 4 listed, but rarely carry any of them. These days I usually am carrying one of these three: NAA Guardian .32ACP, Kahr PM9, or Star M40 any one of which fits nicely in my Don Hume JIT in front of my left hip.

My current rotation:

1. Glock 23 40s&w
2. CZ 75 P-01 9mm
3. HK P2000sk 9mm
4. Kahr PM9
5. Glock 42
6. Sig P238
7. Kahr CW380

When away from home, one will be IWB and one will be in front left pocket (most likely the Kahr CW380).

Carry "rotation" can get you killed.
Pick one gun, shoot it until you know it like your tongue knows your teeth.
If you feel the need to "rotate," get another just like the first one.

Bill DeShivs said:
Carry "rotation" can get you killed.
Pick one gun, shoot it until you know it like your tongue knows your teeth.
If you feel the need to "rotate," get another just like the first one.

Agree to the above post.

I carry the same setup 95% of the time. The remaining 5% is when I am at the range/open carry/special occasion/etc... is when I picked the appropriate piece from the rotation.

Yg

Quote:
I stopped carrying a semi when I realized that I was having a very hard time racking the slide back. Good old Uncle Arthuritus. Went to wheel guns and bought only 357's since then and never looked back. Uncle A still is a pain but it don't stop me know. Weight wise I'm still able to get into my jeans from the 70's so i don't have that problem. I'm with Sevens on his comment.

Doc
Is that 1970's or 70 years old. ;)

Retired myself...I pretty much have always carried a G26.
But I do like my bugs.
My pants size has bounced between 36-38 but IWB you always go up a pants size. Right?? :D

I switched due to weight. {of the gun} I guess age plays some part in that also. The ole 4006 just got to be too much.

Much happier since I bought the p239. Compared to the 4006, it's like carrying a g42.

Starting from my first to current carry gun. Now that I have settled on the Shield though I suspect that I will be carrying this one for a long time, just about the perfect carry gun IMO.

1. S&W 60 3" in .357
2. S&W 640 in .38 special
3. Walther PPK .380
4. Sig 232 .380
5. Ruger SR9C
6. S&W Bodyguard .380
7. S&W Shield 9mm

Feel Good!

Sitting here at home enjoying TFL.I've noticed a lot of us guys in our 70's, have real trust and love for the revolver.Is'nt it nice to know your not alone!:D

I have different guns for different modes of dress, or different situations.

Most carried: LCP .380 for times when pocket carry is the only option.
Next: S&W 642 .38 if I want a light gun, but can carry on the waistband.
3rd: Kahr CM9 9mm for the same reason as the 642, but I want a little more firepower.

For times when I feel I may need to carry more gun, it's a Glock 26, and if needed a 15rd mag is carried as a backup to the 10rd in the gun.

Choices are good.

But for a lot of reasons other than carrying a gun, I hope you can get back in shape.
That is my goal also. :(

I changed my EDC when I finally found a holster I could comfortably wear, and carry a relatively heavy gun without pulling my pants down all day long. I dont have much butt, a belt is uncomfortable, and doesnt hold my pants up very well. I would pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32.

I now carry a Charter Arms 44 Bulldog in a Kangaroo Carry.

weblance...

Get you some Perry suspenders. I had the same problem trying to keep my pants up when carrying, but now with the suspenders I can carry anything from my LCP to my Beretta 92fs, or Smith and Wesson Model 27-2 with no problems.
They REALLY make a big difference, and you don't have to cinch your belt real tight.

At 21 I started carrying a Government model 1911. Now at 67, I still carry a 1911 either in Government or Commander model. Never carried anything else.

Back