• Yes, every time I carry, I'm carrying a BUG

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Sometimes, it depends on circumstances

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • No, I'm not going to war and it's overkill

Votes: 36 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think of it as a "back up" rather a 2nd option.
I carry a "2nd option" pistol in my weak hand front pocket, basically whenever out in public.
Option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying, can't do that with primary that is IWB.
If dominant hand/arm "unavailable" could quickly access pistol with weak hand.

I don't think of it as a "back up" rather a 2nd option.

I carry a "2nd option" pistol in my weak hand front pocket, basically whenever out in public.

Option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying, can't do that with primary that is IWB.

If dominant hand/arm "unavailable" could quickly access pistol with weak hand.
When I see people walking with their hands in their pockets it raises my level of concern. I get that most people aren't the wiser, but to me the notion that pocket carry is truly discreet is sort of a misconception.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I used to always have either a stainless NAA 380 or Ruger LCP 380 in pocket & a Glock model-19 with +2 bases and model 17 mag springs holstered . I no longer feel the need to do so and just carry the 19. I do keep a extra 33 round stick in the door panel.

When I see people walking with their hands in their pockets it raises my level of concern. I get that most people aren't the wiser, but to me the notion that pocket carry is truly discreet is sort of a misconception.

I don't walk with my hand in my pocket.
I started carrying the "2nd option" two or three years ago after being approached in parking lots or at gas pumps by someone asking for money one too many times. The last time (final straw on camels back) I see the guy coming toward me I start shaking my head NO, he keeps coming, I'm shaking my head NO and saying NO. In that type of scenario it would be (is) a nice option to be able to discretely put my hand in my pocket onto a pistol (9mm minimum).
My chronically untucked shirt does a fine job of concealing pistol in pocket as well as the one IWB.

I don't walk with my hand in my pocket.

I started carrying the "2nd option" two or three years ago after being approached in parking lots or at gas pumps by someone asking for money one too many times. The last time (final straw on camels back) I see the guy coming toward me I start shaking my head NO, he keeps coming, I'm shaking my head NO and saying NO. In that type of scenario it would be (is) a nice option to be able to discretely put my hand in my pocket onto a pistol (9mm minimum).

My chronically untucked shirt does a fine job of concealing pistol in pocket as well as the one IWB.
Fair enough, then you reaching into a pocket as a situation is escalating signals to me you're quite possibly going for some kind of weapon (I get that in your specific situation, which wasn't detailed when I made my comment, you could argue you would appear to be reaching for money and communicating that you were planning to give him money while reaching like that is a plan I could get behind). Hands are generally what people use to kill and that's what I and really anyone with any defensive training are usually trained to watch. Again, I get that many are oblivious. My point, again, is I don't consider it as discreet as some do. I also don't like having my hand trapped for what is I know many would say is a short period of time.

It depends on the situation. Usually, I carry a Colt Lightweight Commander with one spare mag and no bug. But, sometimes I opt to carry a smaller gun, maybe even a mouse gun, and in that case, I will often carry a second mouse gun instead of a reload.

And at times I have carried my primary gun and a smaller bug gun, when going to church, because, the leader of the security group is an off duty cop, who elects to not carry, off duty. He has commented that if needed he would ask for one of us to give him our gun. Well, that's Ok, as I would rather he shoots the bad guy, then me, but He will also take more risks then I will to disarm a bad guy, which might get him shot and I don't want my only gun and him on the floor, leaving me defenseless. So, I will carry a second gun in that case.

when going to church, because, the leader of the security group is an off duty cop, who elects to not carry, off duty. He has commented that if needed he would ask for one of us to give him our gun.
So, I will carry a second gun in that case.

Time to recommend a new leader of the 'security group'..IMHO..in this day and age..I don't think any large group of people need to worry about harsh language...somebody with a gun much more likely..

Does he have a list of who carries, carries what, when, how and where they are seated?
This is really dumb for a 'leader of a security group..IMHO.

I gotta admit I don't understand that logic either. From a self interest standpoint were I that security leader I'm not trusting my safety to a stranger's firearm. Who knows how well he or she takes care of it, if the manual of arms is noticeably different than what I use, if it's been modified, etc. Or what if that other person just forgets to carry it? I know it was mentioned he is or was a police officer. A number of police officers aren't necessarily gun people. They can still provide information in terms of general security practices, de-escalation, situational awareness, etc, and to be honest that's likely more important and more likely to be used than the firearm, at least on a regular basis. But if armed security is part of the solution for that location then I don't get the leader choosing not to be armed.

Nope, I'm not a pack mule for carrying someone else's pistol. Nor am I going to give up my own pistol when things start to look like I am going to need one.

I was in Basic in ‘91. I didn’t get pistol familiarity or training until I reached my home unit. I was trained on the original (full auto) M-16 with the M-203 and the M-60 machine gun.

I carry a backup gun. My wife bought it for me as a present; it would hurt her feelings if I didn't carry it.

There were times during my last deployment in which I had a M-9 pistol, my M-4 carbine, and a Mossberg M590 shotgun. The shotgun was mainly for breaching and less lethal options, as mandated by the ROE.

At my current gig, I'm the assistant manager for an upscale indoor range/gun store. I generally wear a Glock 19 in a Galco leather pancake strong side and two spare mags weak side. I don't expect to get into a running gunfight; but the mag caddy sort of evens out the weight load.

I also have either my LCP or 642 shoved in a pocket depending on what I'm wearing.

And I carry a pocket gun everywhere I legally can. When I leave work each day, I take my Glock off.

Don't most of our troops in the sandbox carry both an M4 and an M9? But on a battlefield you're surrounded by backup guys with guns -- who needs a backup gun when you have an army?

Nope. I did three tours and carried both on all three but I was the exception rather than the rule.

To answer your other question is what if you are not on the battlefield? 99% of the time when I had just my pistol I was in a meeting with potential threats around or walking around in a "relatively" secured area. It is not advisable to carry an M4 rifle in to a meeting with a bunch of sheiks. The other 1% of the time were unplanned moments when I really wished I had my rifle but did not. The enemy always gets a vote.

I don't carry a BUG. I do keep a long gun in my vehicle.

Hard to quantify feeling safe.

One guy carries a full size Glock with reloads and a snubbie on his ankle. Another carries the snubbie and is perfectly content. Hopefully neither will need it!

When asked "if you knew you'd get attacked today, what gun would you bring?" I've answered "none, cuz I'm staying home!"

"None cause I'm staying home!" Great answer. I think a lot of people get awfully carried away with the concealed weapon. Odds are you'll never have a need for one, even if you live in Chicago! Yet guy's are carrying what seem to me more attack weapons than self defense weapons and lot of guy's carrying two! So you pull out the first and something goes wrong so you throw it down and go for the back up. By that time the bad guy has either left or shot you!

To my knowledge the use of pistols isn't what I would call standard. There are certainly soldiers using them, but not what I think of when I think of most (Note: I don't want to debate the definition of most...).

This is about like carrying a hand gun as back up on a bear hunt. You get charged by a bear throw down the 300 mag and grab your 44 mag! :eek: I cannot imagine on the battle field a lot of use for a handgun but, the instance could come around. No way in h*ll I'm throwing down a perfectly good functioning battle rifle and going to my handgun!:D

I always ask where you get the Magic 8 Balls that tell you what youll need and when, but no one seems to want to give that up. :D

I carry a second gun on a pretty regular basis, and for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, sometimes I need to leave my 17 in the car at work, due to what Im doing that day, and the 26 is always there regardless.

Other times, if we are going somewhere or travel through someplace thats a bit sketchy, Ill have the 26 along as well. My wife, and a couple of my buddies seem to prefer not to carry, and it gives options if need be. No big deal having it, but it could be second shooter if it were needed. It can also be a second 17 with a simple and quick mag change.

It also makes it easier driving sometimes to have a second gun in a place thats easier and/or less obvious to access. These days, I find AIWB tends to negate that, but it still works.

In the winter, plowing snow, a second gun in a shoulder holster is handy. Its about the only time Id use or consider a shoulder holster, but it works well in that case. Ive had more altercations at night plowing snow, than pretty much anything else. For some reason, that really brings the nut jobs out! :p

This is good. A second gun in a shoulder holster while plowing snow at night!:eek:

Back