• Yes, every time I carry, I'm carrying a BUG

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Sometimes, it depends on circumstances

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • No, I'm not going to war and it's overkill

Votes: 36 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the minority. I carry a Glock and a J frame 357 mag.

No BUGs on the battle field?

With a squad for support I guess it is a moot point. When I was in the Army I carried an M-60 and a 1911 and an M-16 all at the same time. Army Regs at the time called for everyone to carry an M-16 regardless. What would the M-16 and/or the 191 be called in that situation? Would a M 203 be a BUG to the M-16 or visa versa? Is bacon better cooked on an M-60?

I have often carried a back-up since I retired. (Almost always carried one on the job.)
It depends on where I am going and what I will be doing.

If you are going to carry more than one, it is important to train in the same manner that you carry your back-up.

Sometimes I will carry a second handgun. Today with the wide assortment of small pocket pistols and revolvers available it's about as easy to carry a second gun as a spare magazine.

When it is really cold and I'm wearing a heavy coat which makes accessing my primary pistol near impossible, I will have a small second gun in the handwarmer pocket of my coat.

Otherwise, no, I only carry one gun.

I carry a BUG weak side pocket. Sometimes I carry IWB, sometimes I pocket carry in both pockets. I am not going to war but I don't want my guns to get lonely locked up in a safe.

An ex of mine didn't like her Glock 26 because it had "only" 10 shots. I pointed out that merely pulling a gun (even a 22 or 38 revolver) on a thug is usually enough to end the encounter in your favor, but she wasn't having it.

A while after we broke up, I learned that she switched to a Ruger LC380!

No bug for me. I have a hard enough time comfortably carrying my primary. So I usually end up with a S&W Shield or Ruger LCR in my front pocket. If I had to back one of them up I wouldn’t have room for my phone, wallet,keys.

I've considered the idea of carrying a BUG several times over the past four decades but it always seemed like more trouble than it was worth to me, particularly since I've never found a mouse gun that I was happy with.

It's only fair to say that I've lived in mostly rural areas my entire life and might well feel differently if that wasn't the case.

The only exception is that I always carry a handgun along with my rifle when I go hunting, which I rarely do anymore. It's something I've done since I was a teenager.

Almost never. I tend to carry a single pocket gun. It ia 102 in the shade here. I would not want to dress around a larger gun. I work in construction most of my day is outside in the sun. I do not like carrying extra weight in the heat.

I work two jobs in gun free zones, so no primary or BUG for me.
When I am traveling I take one and some spare ammo or mags.
I like to keep it simple.

Tunnel opined: At some level everyone carrying makes a decision based on their assessment of the threat. This includes the strength of the threat and the probability of the threat. What are the chances we get attacked? What are the chances the attacker is not alone? How about the chances he or she is wearing armor? What if my primary fails? Any of these things are possible. How likely are they? I have one pistol that is currently sitting at 5000 rds without a malfunction. What are the chances it malfunctions in such a way that I can't get it back into action with the spare magazine I carry and that the failure wasn't stopped by the maintenance I also perform? At some level I've decided that the chances of that happening are low enough to make me think I don't have to carry a BUG.
Pretty good advice for most of us. I live in a rural environment...farm...on an isolated country lane...there's always a handgun near my wife's haunts here in the house, and I carry, usually for recreational purposes, just about always when doing my daily chores. That said...it's a rare day when I don't carry when going to town or Louisville. But a BUG doesn't figure in my case. Local LEO friend's here, to a man, have a BUG somewhere's on their persons. YMMv, Rod

Same here, no BUG. 15+1 rounds of 124 gr. Gold Dot 9mm+P will suffice in 99.99999% of self defense situations. Further, if worst came to worst, a prosecutor would have a field day describing to a jury how you were "walking around armed to the teeth." So I'm good, thank you.

Same here, no BUG. 15+1 rounds of 124 gr. Gold Dot 9mm+P will suffice in 99.99999% of self defense situations. Further, if worst came to worst, a prosecutor would have a field day describing to a jury how you were "walking around armed to the teeth." So I'm good, thank you.
A prosecutor could make the same argument about you carrying 15+1 rounds of those deadly hollowpoint rounds. When we let what a prosecutor could do dictate our logic then logically we wouldn't carry anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have already downsized to a Glock 43 since it is hard to conceal much more than that based on my normal attire (without sticking out like a sore thumb). South Florida is really hot and humid so concealment is hard to come by without risking heat stroke. Fanny packs or man bags are going to look really weird, especially with regular office attire. I guess I could go with an ankle holster, but I'm not a fan of them. The other thing is that Glocks tend to be extremely reliable so I'm willing to take those odds. I shoot with a practical shooting club and we practice reloading drills. I do carry 2 spare mags with the Plus 2 extenders, but I leave the stock mag in since it is easier to conceal.

Further, if worst came to worst, a prosecutor would have a field day describing to a jury how you were "walking around armed to the teeth." So I'm good, thank you.

If my BUG is what helps me make it home they can say anything about me they want. Twice in my life a BUG made the difference. Once I could not access my primary and once it had fallen out of my holster during a scuffle (before we had retention holsters). Say what you will, I will stick my 357 magnum snubby in my belt.

I do.

A Glock 36 on my ankle.

Wanted to add that it also to arm someone else. As my best friend doesn't carry and my other best friend who is also my wife doesn't always carry her Shield.

I hand it to her when I get down at a gas station to get us some road snacks if she doesn't have her Shield with her. As one example.

Also, the main carry is an HK P30L and she can run either that or the Glock 36 just fine. Thankfully we both stay athletically fit and hit the gym 4-6 times a week. :)

Back