How loud is a Mosin without hearing protection?

There is really only one way to answer this question.

Some things aren't worth the chase.

The incredible thing is military in the US and other countries never care about hearing protection. I have a buddy who as an officer did live fire excercises in a concrete block basement with no hearing protection circa 2008. He would always have ringing afterwards and didn't worry about it. Of course they also never used their hip belts.

I don't think hearing protection was issued in WWII.
Unless electronic I don't want to wear it anywhere but the range. I try to keep a foam plug in my right ear though.

My Tiger shoots the 7.62x54R and its loud even with ear protection. The only thing I shoot without ear protection is a .22 rifle. My Wife's Walther P22 with CCI Stingers is even too loud to not have hearing protection.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Shoot the Mosin without hearing protection?...And you'll likely wind-up in the same condition as our range alley cat, named Homer --- DEAF.

Johnwilliamson, sorry but I've just got to reply to your comment that the US Military doesn't care about hearing protection. While I cannot relate to your buddy's experience, I attended Basic/AIT in 1990 and have been an Army Officer since 1992... and hearing protection has ALWAYS been stressed any time live fire was conducted. So much, that at times I felt that the establishment was getting a little carried away... I mean, ear plugs in a case was a required part of my uniform back when we still wore BDUs. Today, I rarely see anyone with an earplug case hung from ACU, but then again, I haven't been to a range in 15 years that the organization running it did not have a large box full of foam earplugs and a Safety NCO badgering everyone to use them.

One experience, though, that while it was a lesson in hearing protection... it probably did not have the blessing of the Infantry School: During a class during my Infantry Officer Basic Course we were being taught call for fire procedures. When my platoon arrived, we were told to get into the bleachers and then the instructor began his presentation. We all noticed the M109 155mm howitzer parked 50 yard in front of us.... and I guess we all thought it was a prop for the class. When the instructor noted that this particular howitzer is in a posture which you do NOT want, that being the barrel depressed to zero mils elevation in preparation for firing canister at oncoming enemy infantry.... his presentation was rudely interrupted by the loudest boom we had ever heard: his next remark was, "oh yeah, I was just about to tell you.... hearing protection is required on this range". Great lesson... but still, thanks a lot!:)

back on topic though, my hearing is tested every couple of years, and I am showing some signs of hearing loss. While I am certain that my government has my best interests at heart, I am equally sure that they want to limit future VA claims as best as possible.

Where I hunt frequently you only get about 1 second to make the shot (short range in heavy brush) in such a hunt quickly slipping on hearing protection is not an option.

Ideally I think a silencer would be about perfect... that said I think the next best option is wearing electronic hearing protection.

I don't think hearing protection was issued in WWII.
Ya'know, they did a lot of stupid stuff back in WWII, that doesn't mean we should continue it :rolleyes:

I recall reading an article fairly recently about hearing loss being the number one (or thereabouts) factor in medical/disability claims for former servicemen. The military (or at least their beancounters) certainly do care they're on the hook for expensive prosthetics for the rest of those guys' lives.

Where I hunt frequently you only get about 1 second to make the shot (short range in heavy brush) in such a hunt quickly slipping on hearing protection is not an option.
Just be aware of the deer/hearing transaction that has just taken place in such a scenario, and make sure it is truly worth it for you. That's all us hearing-protection advocates have a right to demand. I personally would only risk my ears to save my life (my analogy is it is like shooting through your hand when you don't wear protection).

TCB

Today, I rarely see anyone with an earplug case hung from ACU

It's a requirement for every Soldier here at Fort Carson. Every time we go to our required checkups they give us another set if we don't have one with us.

It's a requirement for every Soldier here at Fort Carson.

Definitely a unit-specific thing, like many others in the Army. I'm in 3rd BCT here at Carson, and it's not part of our uniform. They always just stick some NCO they don't know what else to do with at the entry point with a box of foam plugs.

Ya'know, they did a lot of stupid stuff back in WWII, that doesn't mean we should continue it

Agreed, and to each his own, but common sense needs to prevail here. I can't believe how far this thread has gone on, and how many have advocated not wearing hearing protection when firing a weapon is imminent. Feel free to bring harm to your own senses, but don't promote others to do the same. That's just poor sportsman's etiquette.

I've been nearby while a 91/30 and an M44 were being fired while I wasn't wearing ear protection. At about 20ft away it wasn't bothersome, but boy does that M44 create one heck of a concussion. Gives a real thump deep in the chest. :D

I fired my Handi-Rifle in .270 Win from the back of my fan once. It started raining while I was zeroing the rifle, and I didn't want to pack up for a light rain. Let down the stow away seats, opened the rear door and proned out on the floor of the van. Even with good hearing protection on it felt like I got smacked in the head with a mallet when I pulled the trigger. Ended the zeroing pretty quickly. :o

Back