How long have you kept her cocked and locked?

JJ45

IMO, a 1911 pistol is best carried in Condition One. Not arguing which mode of carry is best.

Just wondering how long you have left your 1911, or any pistol that can be carried safely in this condition, cocked and locked.

Mine never goes years without being fired but I've never had problems keeping it in condition one. It's the only way a 1911 should be kept.

Springs fatigue, that’s a fact. It doesn’t make any difference of make or model. Spring from same batch may have not got right heat treat. Some springs are higher quality than others.
Some will pop off and say there gun is 50 years old, never had a problem. This is true until they do have a problem.
I’m not one to subscribe to theory that compressed springs have no bearing on useful life.
Repetition is not the only wear on springs. While it’s true that coil springs have less failure rate that flat springs they can fail and get weak.

How long can a 1911 be left cocked and locked before failure is pretty much the "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" thing. Lots of opinion and argument, very little to no data.

Drm50 said:
Springs fatigue, that’s a fact. It doesn’t make any difference of make or model. Spring from same batch may have not got right heat treat. Some springs are higher quality than others.
Some will pop off and say there gun is 50 years old, never had a problem. This is true until they do have a problem.
I’m not one to subscribe to theory that compressed springs have no bearing on useful life.
I am.

As long as the compression is within the design parameters of the spring, so that the metal is never stressed beyond the yield point. Look at automotive springs. A vehicle can sit on a dealer's lot for years and there's no effect on the springs -- coil or leaf. Put that vehicle in use and over load the springs every day, and within six months or less the suspension will take on a permanent sag.

Repetitive cycling can also affect springs, just as repetitive cycling will snap off the pull tab on a can of Pepsi. Leaving a 1911 cocked isn't a problem.

My Rock Island is cocked and locked unless it's being fired or cleaned. 11 years old and still has all the original springs.

Repetition is not the only wear on springs. While it’s true that coil springs have less failure rate that flat springs they can fail and get weak.

1911 Colt factory hammer spring is 23# - to offset spring strength loss from keeping it cocked & locked, install a 25# hammer spring.
https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#2
If the 25# spring loses 10% strength from being kept cocked, its still about the force of the original.
c4c7595468671d9714827134495a0df5.jpeg

Springs do not fatigue from compression. Springs fatigue from compression-expansion CYCLES!

most of my 1911 pistols just sit in the safe. Uncocked. My carry pistols are often left cocked and the safety on for months. I have yet to experience any issues.

A Wilson Master Grade sat in my duty holster, cocked. Locked. Fired. Cleaned. For over 20 years. And still goes bang.

I run a magazine of top quality defensive ammo (Hornady, Speer, Federal) through it about once every 4 months, then it's back to standing guard.

There are many accounts of cocked and locked 1911s from the 40s/50s/60s found after folks die or in other places with period ammo in the magazines where they are picked up and shot without issue.

I don’t think you will see any major issues from leaving it cocked and locked. That said I would hope you shoot it at least every once in a blue moon both to stay familiar with it and you know because it’s FUN. :)

1911s aren’t that hard to work on, beyond the hand fitting during builds or certain parts so if you need the piece of mind just replace springs every decade or so.

There are many accounts of cocked and locked 1911s from the 40s/50s/60s found after folks die or in other places with period ammo in the magazines where they are picked up and shot without issue.

I don’t think you will see any major issues from leaving it cocked and locked. That said I would hope you shoot it at least every once in a blue moon both to stay familiar with it and you know because it’s FUN. :)

1911s aren’t that hard to work on, beyond the hand fitting during builds or certain parts so if you need the piece of mind just replace springs every decade or so.
Yeah, when you think about it there will always be parts, smithies, literature, tutorials, etc. on the old punkin' roller...just about anything that needed done (and didn't :) has been done to the 1911 so we know where to begin when something goes wrong.

I would say offhand that several people have a problem with reading comprehension on the subject of springs. The main statement that can be made, and the only one is the spring will work till it fails. There are some many variables with springs no blanket statement covers it all. I had a spring break in a brand new Ruger Super Blackhawk in the 60s. Less than 100rds
Fired. So I bought 5 new springs, still got 4 of them. I sold a new 39 Marlin in early 80s and guy brought it back with in few days of purchase. Main broke on less than a brick. Those are two instances where I can vouch for actual wear and tear. So they didn’t break from repetition. I always store all guns uncocked regardless of action. Springs at rest. Rotate loaded magazines and let the hammer down when not in carry. I have replaced lots of springs in old 22s and recoil operated shotguns that were probably due to repetition. They weren’t broke just weak. I’ve also had many pistols that had magazine loaded for years and never fired, that spring was to weak to function.

And I have worked on guns for 50+ years and have had to replace one set of springs-on a gun that was baked in an oven.

New, improperly made springs can break. Corrosion can damage springs.

But the life of properly designed, manufactured and maintained springs is indefinite. Far more are replaced than is necessary.
Springs don't need rest.

I’ve also had many pistols that had magazine loaded for years and never fired, that spring was to weak to function.

My dads 1911 was stolen in the late 70's. He always kept his mags loaded. I don't think he ever fired it more than a few times. He died in 02 and I got his loaded mags. I used them with no problems until my 1911 I used them in was stolen in 08.

Back