How long do you guys keep your powder?

Just go by the " USE BY" date on the container ...

I'm only joking !
Powder is good , reguardless of the date purchased , if it does not contain "red dust " and if it has a smell that is not acrid or acidic , irrating to the nose .
Go look and smell some of your opened powders so you can tell good powder and thus tell when / if they start to "go bad" .
Stored properly powder can last for decades ... I'm using some Alcan #5 from the 1970's and it's just fine . Storage conditions are more important than simply age .
Gary

I'm using some Alcan #5 from the 1970's and it's just fine .

Thanks for reminding me gwpercle, about my 70's vintage AL-5. Still propelling lead bullets just like it should.

Don

MarkCO said:
Every canister of Lil Gun I have had is a little oily and clumps.

Watch out for that stuff. Just clumpy doesn't necessarily mean anything, as powder sitting with enough weight to press the grains hard against each other can make loosely bound clumps. Hodgdon tells me shaking the powder should break those right up. It's the combination of clumpy with oily that is not a good sign and if the clumps stick together with some determination, that powder's got issues. I called Hodgdon to double-check, and they say they've never seen Li'l Gun look oily. They immediately asked what the powder storage conditions were. Of course, none of us know what happened to it between the factory and ourselves, so there's no way to give a comprehensive reply. We only know we've tried to follow the rules.

The oily, clumpy powder I had experience with was in loaded 308 ammo made on contract by S&B in 1982. Upon pulling the bullet, that ammo's powder had to be removed from the case with toothpicks. Tapping the case did not move it. When most of it was out, I found the remaining bits stuck to the brass, too. A decade later (I kept some of the stuff out of curiosity), a number of the cases had corrosion spots that turned out to go all the way through to the inside.

That ammo was made in the Iron Curtain days, and I've been told Iron Curtain powders are untrustworthy. S&B told me all their records from those days are on paper in a warehouse and that they don't have a practical way to search them, so they couldn't say what I had. At the time I got that ammo (1992), about every 20th round in the bunch sounded different and a couple of them wouldn't function my M1A. About a month after shooting it, despite normal cleaning, the bore was coated in fine rust. I still don't know if that was because of corrosive primers (it was sold as non-corrosive) or because nitric or nitrous acid radicals in the powder caused it. I've been told S&B didn't catalog any corrosive primers from at least the 1970s. On the other hand, S&B said they also custom-loaded to client specifications if the order quantity was large enough, though I don't know why someone would order corrosive primers. But just in case the acid explanation is right (nitric acid fumes from a few drops in a watch glass was how the old steam cabinets for rust bluing started uniformly fine surface rust resembling what I had in the M1A barrel), I would clean anything you shoot that stuff in pretty well. Maybe with a boiling water rinse.

Thanks for reminding me gwpercle, about my 70's vintage AL-5. Still propelling lead bullets just like it should.

AL-8 on this end, forget what I got it for. Lots left! Cool container.

Related to "how long do you keep": I have about a 1/2 pound of Semi-Smokeless powder with recipes on the can for cartridges like .40-60 (NOT using 60 grains).
At this point a collectors item more than intent to shoot though.
The can came from my grandfather an may be over 100 years old at this point. Couldn't find much documentation about it the few times I looked.

I have a qty of WW2 surplus H-4831 that still smells like ether and looks good.
But I tend not to use a "dead end" supply of powder.
This was given to me by a trusted friend.
My accumulation of powder varieties comes from load development.

Once I have a load or two for a given firearm that is optimum,I use it.

The rifle is zeroed and ready.It always shoots the same.

A major beef I have with shooting factory loads is being at the mercy of what I can find on the shelf.Winchester 165 gr this month,Federal 150 gr next month?
And burn at least a half box re-zeroing? No thanks!!

So I use fresh,newly manufactured H-4831 SC. I just can't bring myself to dump my stash of Old 4831.
Old Louis is long gone..
He preferred I bring a bleach bottle,but he'd sell me "takeout" bulk powder in a brown paper bag . A dollar sixty a pound for H-4831!!.

I used up my old supply of H4831 to settle new barrels, along with heavy for caliber bullets I had accumulated by various means.

I had some BLC-2 from the mid 80's, and just recently finished it off. It shot fine, and was stored inside the house the entire time. NO bad smell and measured out just fine.

Edited to correct/ indicate the correct powder I was referring to . Being old is hell sometimes. Originally stated CFE223, but it is BLC-2.:mad:

Last edited:
I had some CFE223 from the mid 80's, and just recently finished it off. It shot fine, and was stored inside the house the entire time. NO bad smell and measured out just fine.
I thought CFE223 wasn't introduced until 2012 or so. Sure you didn't mean another powder in a similar canister?

Popst #17--

160 pound keg--I bet some govt agency wouldnt like that size jug..

I have metal cans of 3031 and a couple others. Ill use t up till I quit loading and then my son will take it. Some of those cans are priced less than $5... last week the only p0wder on the gunshop shelves was $40 and $34.

I have Nosler bullets priced $6-wish I had a few hundred more, esp those 6 mm Zipedos.

I just loaded some 1970 vintage Unique for my 45 Colt. To check on it's goodness, I put some in an ash tray and lit 'er up. Still mahvelous after all those years.

Funny thing is you never know how long powder is going to last. I have some seriously old cans of powder I bought from an estate many years ago and most of it was 1960's vintage and all of it's good. Including one can of 4895.

On the other hand a can of 4895 I bought around 2002 was bad by 2010 when I finally got around to opening it. However it's the only can of powder I've ever had go bad. Still have a partial keg of Red Dot probably from the early 1970s that I'm slowly using up...

Tony

I keep and use it until it is used up. Recently I just finished some powder that I purchased over 20 years ago. H4895 when it came in a cardboard canister. Worked just fine still had that nice aromatic smell to it. I still have and use IMR powders that came in the square metal containers. Some are still sealed. I even have primers that i got over 20 years ago. They still go bang.

Still got 5 lbs of Alliant Clay Dot from 2012 because it was all I could find for 9mm during Obama presidency #1. Now that we are in Obama presidency #2 I'm thinking it wasn't such a bad idea to stock up. Works fine, keep it dry, works wonders in light bullet 9mm loads.

Keep it cool & dry it will last forever, or until you use it up.

A quick perusal of all the recall notices for premature deterioration in recent years say otherwise. You can read about them in the recall sticky near the top of the first page in this forum. Always check your powder just before loading it. It just takes a few seconds to sniff it and look at it as you pour it out.

I've been using cans of Alcan #5 during this and the previous powder shortage , bought it in the early 1970's ... that's 48 years and the powder is still sweet smelling with no sign of "red rust" ...I'm gonna Keep On Keepin On with the Alcan #5 ... should have bought a few more canister's .
Gary

Back