How long did it take to get you Curio and Relic License?

I called BATFE on the 26th, they said I should get my C&R in about 60 to 90 days. Well??? I got it yesterday and I am one happy camper! :)

The problem now is? I'm gonna need a bigger safe! :eek::D

Just wanted to report that, after sending in my application on July 15, just received in the mail notification from the ATF that my C&R has been approved. Over four months.

For the copy to the local Police Chief/Sheriff do you just walk into the station and ask the Officer/Deputy at the front desk to get it to him or do you need to hand it to him directly or is mailing it best?

Which is the person I'd give it to, the local Police Chief or Sheriff?

Last edited:
CLEO portion...

So, just mail it.

Address it to your local CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) be it your town/city Chief of Police or County Sheriff or whatever your local/county calls them.

Easiest way is let your fingers do the work. Google your local PD and get their address and then the name of your Chief or Police or Sheriff. Put their copy in the mail and you are all good to go.

I got a letter from the ATF last week, informing me that the credit card I had used on my form was not valid. I had cancelled it last month.

I had sent in the application on Sept. 1.

So.....eight weeks later they tell me they could not "ding" my credit card.

Asked me to send them the $30 as cashier's check or MO, so I did that last Friday, and they should have the $$ on Tuesday.

We'll see how long it takes from there....

58 days

Squeaky clean record. Midwest region. Here's the timeline.

07JAN12 - Mailed application to BATF
13JAN12 - Credit card charged
23JAN12 - Official start of C&R application processing (according to help desk). Status is now "pending".
21FEB12 - Call to help desk attained the first-three and last-five digits of my future FFL number. Instructed to use these when calling back.
27FEB12 - Status still "pending".
29FEB12 - Status "approved and issued".
01MAR12 - License mailed to me.
05MAR12 - License received in mail.

Bottom line: 58 days round-trip to my mailbox in the midwest. Counting from the "charge" date, it was 7 weeks and 3 days.

Last edited:
Got mine in 3 weeks.
I had even just ordered another handgun to be shipped to my LGS because I wasn't expecting it...

Keep in mind that there are factors which you may not be aware of, that could cause processing "delays" for your license. I know someone that is routinely held up at airports because he has the same name as someone on a "watch list"...

My guess is that if the BATF feels it needs to query another gov't agancy for info about you, you're gonna be waiting a while longer- perhaps a looong while- than someone that goes through without a hitch.

Supplemental Packet Contents

System won't let me edit my former post, so re-posting this with date for FFL supplementary information packet added.

58 days. Squeaky clean record. Midwest region. Here's the timeline:

07JAN12 - Mailed application to BATF
13JAN12 - Credit card charged
23JAN12 - Official start of C&R application processing (according to help desk). Status is now "pending".
21FEB12 - Call to help desk obtained the first-three and last-five digits of my future FFL number. Instructed to use these when calling back.
27FEB12 - Status still "pending".
29FEB12 - Status "approved and issued".
01MAR12 - License mailed to me.
05MAR12 - License received in mail - ATF Form 8A (5310.17)
13MAR12 - FFL supplementary information packet received in mail.

Bottom line: 58 days round-trip to my mailbox in the midwest. 16 days from mail to "charge date." 7 weeks and 3 days from "charge date" to receiving the license in the mail. Then another 8 days to receive the FFL information packet.

My supplementary information packet included the following:

ATF Letter Open letter to all recently federally licensed collectors of curio or relic firearms
ATF CD-ROM 5300.5 State Laws and Published Ordinances – Firearms, 30th Edition
ATF Form F5300.38 Application for an Amended Federal Firearms License (backordered)
ATF Publication P5300.4 Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide (backordered)
ATF Publication 3317.2 Safety and Security Information for Federal Firearms Licensees
ATF Form 1370.2 Requisition for Firearms/Explosives Forms
ATF Form 3310.11 Federal Firearms Licensee Firearms Inventory Theft/Loss Report (2 copies)
ATF Publication 5300.11 Firearms Curios or Relics List (December 2007)
ATF Card 3312.8 Personal Firearms Record

If you want to get a head start on reading the fine print, you can click the above links (valid as of 13MAR12).

If the guns covered are not considered firearms by Federal definition, I have never understood the purposed/need for a license. I know, part of it is because the Feds say so. But, really, why?

Back