How hot can .45 ACP be loaded for use in a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk?

***** over published load data info...use at own risk***What you want to do will work . Inspect your acp brass between firings. Start with your powder and bullet of choice with published load data at plus p...then increase up to 10% more powder ... watching along the way. Mine shoots acp up to midway between 45 super and 460 Rowland levels. I stopped there as my objective was met.
In a Redhawk? How is the accuracy?

The plot thickens with this project. I was shooting some .45 ACP in the Redhawk yesterday (using Winchester WB) and was getting light primer strikes in DA. I don't recall having this problem before, but I think before I was mostly shooting SA. It's either the primers Winchester uses are hard or the Ruger moon clips that came with the gun are too flimsy.

Whatever the issue, what's a primer that is fairly soft? I have CCI and Federal primers, but if there are other brands that are known to be soft I'm all ears.

Federals are soft and/or sensitive. I've never had light strike problems with them, even using their small rifle primers in pistol cases (but I haven't tried those shooting double-action)

Yep. Federal primers are famous as the solution to light primer strikes in tuned race revolvers. Just be sure you seat them properly. Ideally, you want to reconsolidate the anvil and primer by about 0.003" deeper than where you feel the anvil feed first touch down on the floor of the primer pocket. This maximizes sensitivity and ignition reliability. It requires a fairly firm push. Measure a few and you will get the feel of it fairly quickly.

Re: post 41.....In a Blackhawk with the acp cylinder. Accuracy was equal or better than standard loadings. I loaded Hornady xtp 200 gr and 230gr. Both with excellent results. I have loaded my Redhawk in 45 (colt) to same level and beyond with similar success.

Back