How good a shot are you? Smiley face at 50 yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug.38PR

Remember the Lethal weapon movie where Danny Glover takes his M19 and plants one in the center of hte head on the sillouette target and brags to Mel Gibson who then sends the target back to 50-75 yards (or some loooong distance) while humming a tune. He then takes his Berretta and makes a smiley face on the head of the target. :cool:

Is anyone in here that good? ;)

For me, I can hold a pretty good grouping about the size of the spread of my hand and fingers at center mass of the sillouette of my hand with my Official Police at 15 yards with one hand and with the Weaver (I think, it's weaver anyway, it's where my left hand is bent and is pushing against my right gun arm that is in a straight postion) stance I can get a grouping about the size of the palm of my hand at 15 yards.

50 yards? I'd count myself lucky to hit paper!

Yeah, yeah, I really am that bad with a pistol. I need to practice more.:(

Of course I can, I'm an American male!
I'm an expert at shooting, love and fast cars.
I only need a lot of practice at three of those;)

Denny

50 yards I can duplicate Mel Gibsons shots

With my scoped Rem.700.

I would be hardpressed to do that with the rifle unscoped.

50 yards with my most accurate handgun the Ruger P345, I can keep all 9 shots on 8x11 paper and that is on a good day.

Sure, you have an expert shoot it beforehand, put on a blank target, run it out to a loooong range, pan the camera back to me, and then the guy that is downrange will put up the target that the expert shot (while I'm shooting blanks the whole time) and then I bring it back.

:D

Wayne

I can shoot a "face" into a target at 50 yards, but unfortunately it looks more like the elephant man than a smiley face.

Or one of those Picasso paintings ...

At 21 FEET I can shoot a pretty decent smiley face. Crooked smile and eyes aren't even, but you can tell what it's supposed to be.

Yeah ... I've tried it a few times.

In the movie they were shooting in an indoor range and I don't know any indoor ranges that are 50 yards. Most of them are, at the most, 25 yards(75ft) and even at that range there would be few people who would be that good to shoot a semi-auto handgun in a unsupported, standing position and "draw" a smiley face with their hits. Especially in a fast rapid fire motion like Gibson did in the movie rather than slow well aimed shots. The miracle of Hollywood.
Perhaps maybe most decent shooters could do it at 30-40 ft. I never tried it, but I know I have better control of the placement of my shots at around 15 ft where I could make a smile face.

Now, who can sever the upper arms and neck of a target like Robocop did at the range? With a full auto handgun, held in one hand, and out to the side (not lined up with the dominant eye)? :D

-azurefly

I have a Smith 686 that will hold a 2" group at 50 yards all day long,
using a benchrest.
The gun might be capable of the task, but finding an operator up to it,
especially offhand, might be impossible.
On the other hand... if "Riggs" is such a good shot, how did he burn through
two mags of 9mm firing at the helicopter (the bad guys) and not even scratch
it? :rolleyes:

Walter

i could do it at 50 with my .308 iron sights, might be a bit crooked but recognisable. With my beretta, mayby 10m tops, any it would be a big one:D

On the other hand... if "Riggs" is such a good shot, how did he burn through
two mags of 9mm firing at the helicopter (the bad guys) and not even scratch
it?

I'm sure he blames the downdraft from the rotor blades. :p

-azurefly

Way back in a 1965 competition...

I put two 5 round strings in the X ring at fifty yards...

No, it wasn't rapid fire... :eek:

I believe I could have done a 50 yard smiley back then...
Because I have done a 15 yard smiley recently...

Yes, it was rapid fire... :)

not a chance...I can keep all six in a paper plate at 100 yard with my model 629 (8 3/8" barrel) with iron sites, but that's with a good rest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back