How fast are you?

I haven't timed it live, but just last night I was using a shot timer app on my iphone to dry practice. I found out using a headset, and at full sensitivity it reads the click of the trigger.

Drawing my FNS-9 from concealed IWB at 3:30-4 at about 15 feet from the target.

I was using the Laserlyte trainer target to keep myself honest, so a roughly 6" circle.

Fastest time was 1.32 my worst time was 2.5 seconds (I got tangled in my jacket on the draw)

Most of my times were in the 1.70-1.90 range.

Since finances and work schedule have seriously reduced my range time.
(Also moving from having multiple ranges set up on private property, to having to use indoor ranges has been a rough adjustment)

If I can get back down to my parents I'll be able to try the times live, having a bunch of folks shooting means my shot timer is useless.

You need to practice putting that round in there while moving. Remember...move and shoot...that maximizes your chances of survival.

If it was mentioned in this thread I missed it. But an important element of survival in a deadly force situation is rapid movement. Practice and program yourself to move, move quickly and move for cover while drawing. Practice shooting while moving.

AL45,

It probably won't be how fast that you can draw and shoot that will determine whether you might become supine on a pathologist's examination gurney. It will be up to a bad guy's timing. Were it me, I'd spend a lot of time on defensive tactics, especially tactics designed to avoid bad guys' bullets. Not getting shot is far more important than how fast and accurate you are.

There is a lot of wisdom in extricating one's self from a potentially life ending confrontation without going for one's gun.

I hit a personal best yesterday on a vice-presidente
.. 1.02s draw from surrender w/ OWB fobus
slide lock mag change in middle of string
targets: 3 @ 2/3 idpa steel at 10 yards 1 yard apart shoulder to shoulder -
no mikes -- D111R111

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-14-13-01-39.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-14-13-01-39.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 21
You need to practice putting that round in there while moving. Remember...move and shoot...that maximizes your chances of survival.

I tend more towards the more or shoot school.

If I'm not shooting I'm moving, during draw, during reloads/malfunctions, transitions.

But I plant and shoot.

Part of that is training from Rob Pincus, but my hits are much faster and more accurate if I plant just as I'm going to the trigger.

I can move much faster as well.

thump_rrr, the guy in the video has really bad form. He immediately lowers the weapon after running the first shot, ie, no follow thru. And he calls it "extraction", not drawing the gun. Also sub 1 second draws at the distance are no great feat, especially without movement. The important thing for everyone is to practice life fire drills at contact distance to 5-7 yards out while moving with your actual carry gun in your actual carry rig wearing your everyday cover garment. The longer the cover garment, the more time it takes to sweep, a T shirt is faster than a regular shirt.

Sub 1 second draws from an IWB holster under concealment is much more difficult that drawing from on Open Division Steel Challenge holster.

There is a lot of wisdom found in posts of a few members. The shoot and move posters have it wired. Also, it ain't a bad idea to practice shooting while moving.

I'm glad to see that the gun magazine bromide of, "spray and pray" has been purged from tactical parlance.

If I'm praying, I'll be praying that I won't get shot. That could screw up my fishing season.

We run the tueler drill with rubber knives. Only a few can get to 1.5 or less and still make 2 alphas

For me I'm right around 2.5 seconds dry firing. As others have said, it's completely dependent on cover garments. A loose over shirt is quicker than pulling up a heavy coat for me. I would like to be quicker and the more practice should achieve this but being safe and on target means more to me.

If you keep your hands in your pockets, nobody will pay any attention. Right, only every LEO and off duty LEO on the planet will know you got a gun.

Have you ever shot a Tueller drill? both as a shooter and as an attacker?

So you are a shooter then. I met Dennis up at our academy in the early 90's actually and he taught the drill personally.

There is some discontinuity in the previous few posts as a result of a number of posts (and a poster) being deleted. An unavoidable unpleasantness.

Carry on...

Back