How does the LCP compare to a J-Frame for Pocket Carry

Every day when I choose my pants, I try my LCR in the front weakside pocket. If it fits, that's what I carry as a backup. If it's too tight a fit, or the grip too close to showing, I switch to the LCP.

Another way of saying it is that I can carry my LCR in some of my pants, I can carry my LCP in all of my pants.

I never found my PM9, PM40, Nano, or P290RS comfortably carriable in my Docker style pants. Too many angles and edges. They don't come out smoothly enough for me.

Pretty much only pocket carry the LCx's due to their rounded contours and light weight.

Good old Dockers! I did about 12 years as the investigator for a prosecuting attorney. If not in court for as specific hearing, I could dress 'business casual'. Also spent a good deal of time running around the state chasing down witnesses and moving them under protection when necessary. Plain clothes, tinted-out Blazer and weapons were left up to me. I soon learned the concealment benefits of pleated Dockers and spent many a day with with a backup Sp-101 .357 snub & speedloader (both stoked with 125 grain Federals) in the left front pocket. Concealment is about dressing around your armament.

I work in a profession where that my CCW must be totally concealed. I like my J frame and sometimes change it out for my SP-101 in a SOB holster. During the summer months when lighter dress is required I would carry my LCP. However, this last year I picked up what many consider to be junk Diamondback (DB-9) 9mm. Basically a full 9mm in almost the same size gun. I know there are horror stories out there about the DB-9. For the price I gave it a chance and love mine. Recently did the Galloway spring and rod update and made it better for less than $50. Sold the LCP and never looked back. If I get to missing the 380, I can always breakout the PPK/S or Colt.

I carry a Ultralight Taurus Model 85 in my pants pocket and I am legally concealed carrying so what little print there is I don't worry about.

A smaller 642 would make even less of a print.

And both revolvers offer almost 100% reliability to deliver the five shots they hold on target immediately with twice the ballistic power in +p.

That said, the lcp is smaller and therefore better for pocket carry.

with twice the ballistic power in +p.

Not Quite

For apples to apples comparisons I compared them from the same line of ammuition . But as you can see .38+p does not offer that much of an advantage over .380. I shoot my Bodyguard .380 better than J frames, it carries 2 extra rounds, and it carries a whole lot easier. So for me the pocket .380 wins.

All these numbers don't mean much in the real world. But IMO the .38+P out of a 2" or 1 7/8" barrel as you see in snubs is marginally a better performer than the .380 out of 2.5"-2.75" barrels as you see in pocket guns.

Speer Gold Dot 380 ACP 90 Grain

Muzzle velocity: 900 fps
Muzzle energy: 196 ft/lb

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 38 Special +P 125 Grain
Muzzle Velocity: 945 fps
Muzzle Energy: 248 ft/lb
------------------------------------
380 ACP 90 Grain Hydra-Shok
Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
Muzzle Energy: 200 ft lbs

38 Special +P 129 Grain Hydra-Shok
Muzzle Velocity: 950 fps
Muzzle Energy: 258 ft. lbs.

Last edited:
I didn't really address the thread issue.
My LCP, being light, usually goes into my right hip pocket with a handkerchief. The hankie pretty much smooths out any pistol silhouette. It is a small, light gun and it is no more an issue to carry than my wallet in the left hip pocket. I know a lot of guys fantacize and theorize about various self defense scenarios, calibers, sights, etc. My philosophy is having almost any gun is a far better defense than no gun. So, my little pistols (I have three, two are .22lr, one .380) in my pocket are far more effective than a honkin' big 1911 .45acp back home in the safe, if needed.

For me the choice was the J-Frame. I shoot it much better. Mine is the heavy 640 in 357 magnum.

While I have never owned a LCP I did own an LCR (also 357 magnum) for a long time I carried the LCR but when I would go to the range I would shoot my J-frame much more because its more comfortable to shoot (likely cause its heavier) I finally decided to carry what I practice with even if it is heavier. My Dad now carries the LCR and loads it with 38+P loads (He likes Hornady)

I believe in practicing with what you carry. Every time I go shooting I make sure I fire at least 25 rounds through my carry gun. I practice 10 rounds with each hand and 5 with both hands. Its not much per session but I shoot a few times a week so it does add up.

Back