How does the LCP compare to a J-Frame for Pocket Carry

The only perk to a j frame would be that you don't have to worry about a slide cycling if you had to fire it from your pocket and possibly short stroking. That'd be a pretty lousy day if you had to do that, but there have been a few accounts of needing to. You may very well be better off with a knife in that situation... but that's a pretty extreme scenario to look at.

That being said, as far as weight and concealibilty, the LCP wins hands down. It's lighter and thinner, so it doesn't pull on clothing or print very much, if at all.

The LCP would be a lot easier to carry given its slimmer profile and lighter weight.

That being said, I find it a bit small and the one time I shot an LCP I found it very difficult to hit my target. Targets I can hit with an old model 36 were fairly safe with the LCP in my hands at the same distance.

With more practice, I might of gotten used to it and been able to hit with it. But first impressions made me wish the one I was shooting had a laser on it. I don't have huge hands and it just felt a little to petite for me. Being in Georgia where I could carry openly if I wished, I don't feel a need for Ruger's most concealable option and would probably go for something that is useful for more than very close quarters self defense.

Between my phone, wallet, and keys taking up room in my pockets, I'd rather go with a larger gun in a IWB holster. I want an SR9C, it's not huge but not tiny either. If I wanted more concealable I would probably go as small as the LC9. I would feel a lot safer with a 9mm I could hit with than a .380 that I find hard to hit with even when relaxed.

i personally have a harder time shooting the LCP, but surely practice would slove that prob, at least go try one out at the range before decidng on it

fastbolt said:
The diminutive Ruger LCP is lighter, shorter and thinner than my assortment of J-frames, which includes steel, aluminum & Scandium (aluminum) framed models.

As a longtime DA/DAO revolver shooter of J's, I found the LCP to be easier to shoot than I expected. Despite its rudimentary sights (even worse then the old narrow/thin J-frame irons), it was surprisingly accurate. It also fed & fired well with some different hollowpoint and ball loads I tried.

That is exactly my experience with the LCP. If you can shoot a DA snub well, you will be able to shoot the LCP well. The only exception may be if you have very large hands. Mine are not huge and and I still find myself crunching down on the grip with my middle finger and just wrapping everything else underneath it.

No, I do not like the sights. The gun is mechanically accurate enough to warrant something better. I traded into mine real cheap. I may just file off the front sight, carefully center drill & tap the slide and mount the smallest shotgun bead I can find. I don't have any difficulty centering the noggin of a B27 with shotgun slugs using a bead. I don't think it would be a big jump to adapt those skills to a small pistol.

Last edited:
i was thinking the same thing with the shotgun bead, thats all it would need to be a shootable firearm in my opinion
but hey, obviously hundreds of thousands of people can shoot them just fine, its gotta be one of the most popular guns out there
just doesnt work for me

As a longtime DA/DAO revolver shooter of J's, I found the LCP to be easier to shoot than I expected.
That is exactly my experience with the LCP. If you can shoot a DA snub well, you will be able to shoot the LCP well. The only exception may be if you have very large hands. Mine are not huge and and I still find myself crunching down on the grip with my middle finger and just wrapping everything else underneath it.

My hands are fairly large. (I should take a pic of my gripping my Glock 19 with a 2.5 finger grip.) I have a really hard time shooting my LCP and hitting a target deliberately with the level of accuracy that I can with my Taurus or Charter snubs, or even my Kel Tec PF9. Those guns are fun for me to shoot because I can actually plink with them.

"That's not what an LCP is for." Sure. But it is frustrating. I keep the LCP because nothing else I have quite fits that niche.

The LCP is not noticeable in pocket carry. The J frames are but if you wear pants that have a reasonable pocket size and looser fit - they aren't so bad.

I shoot the LCP reasonably well but I think I shoot the J frames better.

I have to say that my 432 is lighter and a little easier on pocket carry than the 642. I know there is a discussion of stopping power than will follow but a pocket gun is a pocket gun and I don't think there is that much difference if you actually hit the guy. Of course, he might be a meth zombie biker mummy.

The LCP is great for just sitting around the house.

As far as the minimal sights on my Elsie Pea, I don't even use them. At the common SD distance of 7 yds. I do just fine making double taps center mass, and even a third shot to the head on a B27 target with simple instinct shooting. Elsie points so naturally it's just like pointing the index finger of my strong side hand at the target.

7 yards is a breeze with the LCP. We qualify to 25 yards and I can get 'em all in the 'big middle' but usable sights would be helpful at that distance.

Some typical results with mine here.

The LCP is WAY smaller and easier to carry than a J-frame.
Agreed.
It's thinner (and doesn't have the cylinder bulge), lighter and carries more ammo.
No argument...but the .380 rounds are sub-marginal compared to the marginal .38Spl rounds. And as a result, I no longer own a .380.
I'll tell you what else is easier to carry than a J-frame, a Kahr CM9..more power, more better capacity, faster reloads, better sights, and on and on.
+1. My Kahr PM9 is a far better carry handgun than any of the j-frames, Kel-Tecs, etc, etc...that I have owned before or since.
The Kahr is smaller, easier to shoot well, far faster to reload...and hold two more rounds from the get-go than a j-frame.

I have both and I carry both. Not at the same time. Mostly I carry a 642 in a Blackhawk in Rural King loose fit jeans. It bulges somewhat but no one has said anything. Indiana is open carry so maybe they don't notice or they don't care.

Sarge said:
7 yards is a breeze with the LCP

Right on. I cannot argue with any of the comments on this, or other, thread about bigger being deadlier, better sights more accurate etc.
But, my point in liking the LCP is it is A gun one will carry and have available in the case it is needed. Bigger guns are not easy to carry and are a discouragement to carrying. No good at home when you are facing a bad guy miles away. Personally, I think the issue of sights on a self defense pistol is a joke. In a high stress situation where the threat is so close you can smell him....who it going to take careful aim? Really, I think the almost non-existant sights on the LCP are perfect. They don't hang up on holster or clothes. That makes them great sights IMHO.
BTW, with my LCP I can hit my target at 7, 12 and 25 yards consistently. I may not be able to hit his button but I will hit the torso.
My instructor does not agree with me at all. He is a highly experienced former military and LEO and knows what he is talking about. However, I have noticed he rarely carries his honkin' big pistols. He is good with them but they are usually in a safe when he is in public. Go figger. :confused:

I have to say that my 432 is lighter and a little easier on pocket carry than the 642. I know there is a discussion of stopping power than will follow but a pocket gun is a pocket gun and I don't think there is that much difference if you actually hit the guy. Of course, he might be a meth zombie biker mummy.

I switched from a 340 to a 432. I don't think it's lighter, but I'm more accurate with it, and have faster follow up shots. And it's comfortable to shoot. I have a lot of fun with it at the range.

For those who have a problem with the sights on the LCP, try out the S&W Bodyguard. I still cant get over how well I shoot that little pistol, and the trigger reminds me of shooting a DA revolver. While long, it is very smooth. Not as nice a trigger as a J frame, but I have yet to try a DA trigger on an auto that rivals a nice S&W revolver trigger. While I can shoot the bodyguard pretty well with the flush floor plate, the pinky extension helps manage recoil as the gun can flip without it. I compared the Bodyguard to an LEO buddies LCP who uses his as a backup when on duty, and we both agreed the Bodyguard has a more solid feel to it. As far as the laser goes though, I really have no use for it besides entertaining the cat.

The TCP has a much better trigger and I find the accuracy to be excellent. I traded mine off on another gun and I'm kicking myself for doing so.

Back