How does the LCP compare to a J-Frame for Pocket Carry

freenokia

I like to go to the pool hall and play pool occasionally. I've noticed the j frame is kind of bulky and heavy when shooting. I think I may like the lcp because it is thinner and lighter. Does it make a big difference with pocket carry?

It makes a huge difference. I prefer the 38Sp round to the 380, but the LCP is so much easier to conceal that it is what I always carry except where prohibited. If I had bigger pockets I might carry the J-frame, but the LCP also holds 6+1 rather than 5 shots.$.02.

like to go to the pool hall and play pool occasionally. I've noticed the j frame is kind of bulky and heavy when shooting. I think I may like the lcp because it is thinner and lighter. Does it make a big difference with pocket carry?

The LCP is much smaller, and flatter.

Agreed about the LCP being smaller and lighter. I pocket carry in cotton shorts with draw string waist without either undue bulging or my shorts falling down. :eek: I can't shoot the thing worth a darn but I figure it's okay for up close and personal.

The LCP is my "little" carry gun. Even my Kimber solo is smaller than the newer j magnum frame guns. I have a Techna clip on my LCP so I can clip it IWB without a holster. Nothing is easier to conceal.

J Frame for pocket Carry....

I have both pistols... the LCP is light and fits in the pocket easily. The J Frame 38 special does too. The J Frame is my choice as it is far more accurate in my hands than the LCP.... Get this .......... the LCP is too small for my hands.

Lemmon from rural South Carolina.....

Luckily in the pool hall you will be close to billiard balls. You can throw one of those if you need to. Or maybe a chair. You will be more accurate with the chair.
I own a LCP and yes it is much easier conceal. IWB forever if you wanted and never notice. The problem is its just a bit harder to be accurate.

I carry a Glock 19 Gen 4 every day, and have comfortably done so while playing pool. Holster + belt experimentation = golden ticket.

My lady has an LCP. Meeeehhhhhh. I'm considering a BUG for winter coat season. Despite being a semiauto guy, I'm a big fan of J-frames for BUG use. Maybe a 442 or a 642 CT...

I am more accurate with the LCP than I ever was with my S&W 642. You might want to try both before making a decision on that point. I tend to be more accurate with a semi than a revolver.

As much as .380 gets maligned as a caliber for being marginal, I'm always stunned at how small my LCP is for that caliber. When I was younger I would pocket carry a Beretta Bobcat .22LR on occasion, and even that pistol is a fatty by comparison. In .22LR!

On occasion, I've come home with girls or friends that are stunned when I empty my pockets and see that I was carrying.

Yes, lighter, thinner, shorter makes a noticable difference. Plus even though the 380 is less powerful the LCP has a 6+1 capacity giving you a two round advantage over the J-Frame revolver.

I carry the lcp because it's so easily concealed with any clothing.

Lemmon is right though, the frame is too small to get a good grip. It's a b**** to shoot straight.

Ruger makes a 7 round LCP magazine which adds one more round and a longer grip.
It is still very concealable in a pocket.

It makes a huge difference. I prefer the 38Sp round to the 380, but the LCP is so much easier to conceal that it is what I always carry except where prohibited. If I had bigger pockets I might carry the J-frame, but the LCP also holds 6+1 rather than 5 shots.$.02.

+1 for the LCP.

I've carried mine every day for just under five years. With a good pocket holster neither you nor anyone else around you will know it's there. It's not a fun range pistol for recreational shooting, but it's ideal for concealed carry when you need a pistol to "disappear" into a pocket.

The diminutive Ruger LCP is lighter, shorter and thinner than my assortment of J-frames, which includes steel, aluminum & Scandium (aluminum) framed models.

As a longtime DA/DAO revolver shooter of J's, I found the LCP to be easier to shoot than I expected. Despite its rudimentary sights (even worse then the old narrow/thin J-frame irons), it was surprisingly accurate. It also fed & fired well with some different hollowpoint and ball loads I tried.

The takedown pin walked a few times on mine under recoil during the first 100+ rounds, but a replacement pin from Ruger resolved that minor complaint.

The ability to carry the LCP in a pocket (holstered) that's too short to accept one of my J's was the primary reason I bought it ... after not having wanted to own a .380 in the more than 25 years since I briefly owned a Beretta M84.

As has been mentioned, the LCP has proven too small for a couple of other instructors to be able to shoot it because their hands were too large to allow them to easily manipulate the little gun, but it's more than adequate for my medium-size hands.

I've seen one other fellow experience some issues when shooting his LCP using 2-hands. He experienced repeated stoppages because he let one of his thumbs repeatedly rub the slide during cycling (one of those high/neutral thumb shooters). When I pointed it out to him, he moved his thumbs and the little LCP perked right along with aplomb. It reminded me of how Walther PPK/PPKS shooters could induce stoppages when they let the web of their hands run up against the bottom/rear of the slide, or thumbed slides.

I haven't looked at the newest LCP with improved sights and trigger, but my 2012 production model seems fine for my needs ... which is when one of my J's won't easily or properly fit in a jeans pocket.

Handy.

If possible, though, try to arrange to try one out on a range before buying, as itty bitty pistols (and 5-shot snubs) are often difficult for some folks to shoot well.

I suspect this is why the larger .380's continue to sell to some folks. I imagine the larger Ruger LC380, and the new Glock G42, will sell to folks who need something a bit larger than the LCP or Bodyguard .380's.

I have owned a couple J frames, and although I don't own an LCP I do have the Bodyguard 380 which dimensionally is about the same. I don't consider the J frame a pocket gun, the cylinder is far too bulky. Just because it fits in a pocket, does not mean it suited for it. So I would say LCP all the way. I also found that I shoot the Bodyguard better than J frames, and I carried and practiced with J frames for around 3 years.

I own both. For me, the LCP is a gun that is perfect for pocket carry and hides in virtually any pocket.

My 637, while a great gun, is too bulky and prints like crazy in my opinion.

I bought a Taurus TCP 738 to carry when my 638 J frame was to much to easily conceal.

Now, the TCP gets carried as back up on all other occasions as well.

The LCP is WAY smaller and easier to carry than a J-frame. It's thinner (and doesn't have the cylinder bulge), lighter and carries more ammo. I'll tell you what else is easier to carry than a J-frame, a Kahr CM9/CM40...more power, more better capacity, faster reloads, better sights, and on and on.

Back