How do you rate yourself regarding gun cleaning?

How do you rate yourself regarding gun cleaning?

• 1. What is gun cleaning?

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 10 9.8%

Votes: 13 12.7%

Votes: 23 22.5%

Votes: 11 10.8%

Votes: 11 10.8%

Votes: 16 15.7%

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • 10. Museum level care...

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Army vet here ..... and my current "clean" would never make it through the arms room door...

I do clean them before I put them away for long periods.

And remove copper fouling as necessary.

I check the bore on my handguns after every session and clean when necessary. Same with the cylinders on my revolvers, and I also clean off the crud on the outside of my revolvers after every outing. My semi's get the barrel thoroughly cleaned every 300 rounds or so and internals about twice a year. I don't think I've ever cleaned the internals on my revolvers in 40 years. Rifles I clean as necessary but do keep them oiled to prevent rust since I don't shoot them nearly as often. I'd say in my roundabout way I'm about a 5.

"Quick clean" after any firing: brake cleaner sprayed in bore; toothbrush scrub w/ Eds Red the bolt face and chamber face; soak up dirty cleaner; bore rope the barrel twice.

Field strip and clean every 500 rds.

For 22 lr - no field stripping until the gun has a stoppage.

Last edited:
your list is in complete.
You left off Marine Clean" do you get it clean enough for a marine D.I. If your weapon is not that clean then it is dirty.

Now when I clean them like that I have to dirty them up. I never take a clean gun hunting or to a match ot training.

MarkDozier said:
You left off Marine Clean" do you get it clean enough for a marine D.I. If your weapon is not that clean then it is dirty.

11. D.I. Clean: can always be cleaned more as you can never have too much cleaning. Always dirty.

I stumbled onto a solution

c79df85c92ae9516414250bfefa2a6fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not against cleaning guns, but far more guns and gun parts are broken, lost, or improperly installed when "cleaning" than ever wore out or broke in normal service.

Nuf sed.

Jim

You are right; especially if one uses the wrong tools or supplies, or doesn't know what they are doing, or are just a doofus. But for me; it's USMC clean because that's the way my DI taught me and I don't wanna do push-ups all night anymore because I'm a "scummy hog with a dirty weapon!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted myself a 6. I used to clean my guns spotless after every shooting session, and even cleaned guns I didn't shoot if they sat untouched for a year. Benefits of being raised by a Marine.

Recently after much reading and thought I've drastically changed my outlook on gun cleaning. Now all guns get a Boresnake/Ripcord after a trip to the range and a wipe down with a cloth sprayed with Hornady One Shot, and that's it.

Once every six months all guns except my Savage 110 get a thorough semi-complete strip and cleaning. The Savage only gets about 20 rounds through it a year so it only gets cleaned at all once a year.

The exception is my current carry piece. Right now that's my Shield. It gets at least a partial field strip and some brush work on top of the BS and wipe down after every range trip. It also gets a full field strip and cleaning once a month.

My cleaning approach has evolved over the years. I used to clean every gun until it was completely spotless every time I shot it.

When I say spotless, I mean that I cleaned it well enough that I am able to use my normal cleaners and technique to clean a gun that has been shot with corrosive ammunition and insure that there will be absolutely no corrosion.

That meant removing all traces of fouling, removing all traces of carbon scoring from the cylinder face, removing all traces of rings in revolver chambers, removing all traces of fouling (including metal fouling) from the bore. Inspection with a bright light reveals that the bore is bright metal--no fouling of any kind.

I still do that once in awhile when I do a detail cleaning, but now most of the time I clean in a more efficient manner. I don't try to remove carbon scoring marks. I don't try to get the bore completely clean of metal fouling--when I get a few clean patches I stop even though it would take quite a bit more work to remove all traces of fouling from the bore.

I do spend a little extra time on my carry/self-defense guns. I'm not saying I detail strip them every time I clean, but they get extra attention over a range-use only gun.

Gun Cleaning, Hmmmm?

After all the hoopla, did my own destructive testing, sure, cleaning is required at some point. The target, Black Beretta FS92, FMJ ammo, only hosed off with DW40, upon cooling, rug it. Close to 11,000 rounds, stove pipes, hosed it, take down slide, hose it more, rag rub, another 2,300 rnds, jam, jam, jam. OK, took it to a professional in HB, near 405, 3 weeks later, first mag, broke ejector, back to professionals, 2 weeks 4 days, next mag, one round, firing pin, hammer, something, doesn't matter, dumped it, "legally", bought Stainless Steel Beretta FS92, into well over 5,400 rnds.
MATH - 18,700 rnds of 9mm, never cleaned, only hose it down w/WD40.
Conclusion - while you guys talk about how much pride in cleaning, I shot up the world.
In Closing - did break in barrels per OEM spec, my personal carry, Fire Life Safety tool, HK USP 45, clean and shinny as new, and the one day she needs to go bang, 17 more will follow right out.

COMRR - CENTER OF MASS RELOAD REPEAT

Dispite his stint in Vietnam my Dad cleaned his guns maybe once every couple years. His old 30-30 and 303 enfeild are in my possession now. The unfortunate part of all thise years of neglect have lead to noone being able to prove any detriment to me because they still shine like new inside and out.

ARs get a quick bore scrub, the bcg gets cleaned and the back of the bolts gets cleaned till it looks new being its the only spot Ive ever seen issues.

My stainless relover does get cleaned up pretty seriously just cause its so purdy.

I'm fanatical with cleaning my handguns and my Mil-spec .308. My other rifles can sit for a few days after shooting. I'll get to them eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back