How do you rate yourself regarding gun cleaning?

How do you rate yourself regarding gun cleaning?

• 1. What is gun cleaning?

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 10 9.8%

Votes: 13 12.7%

Votes: 23 22.5%

Votes: 11 10.8%

Votes: 11 10.8%

Votes: 16 15.7%

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • 10. Museum level care...

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Army habits. I clean the same day they are fired.

I clean bore, chambers and exterior with Hoppe's No.9. Dry that off and oil heavily with my 50/50 mix motor oil/Three-In-One machine oil. Assemble and wipe down with dry paper towel or rag. (I use those blue shop towels from Auto Zone, which I believe are Scott towels.)

I use stainless steel bore brushes lubricated with Hoppe's, then dry patches, then oil the bore.

This has stood me in good stead for over fifty, maybe sixty, years. Don't think I'll change now.

Bob Wright

Every time I shoot, I clean my revolvers.
Old habits are hard to ignore. I don't want
my Rugers wheels to miss fire because
they aren't clean. If I am wrong, please
Tell me.

Not against cleaning guns, but far more guns and gun parts are broken, lost, or improperly installed when "cleaning" than ever wore out or broke in normal service.

Nuf sed.

Jim

Used to be quite OCD about ckeaning my guns. Not so much anymore. With the exception of black powder, and milsurps using known or possibly corrosive surplus ammo, I don't clean them imediatly after returning from range or field.

They get cleaned every time I shoot them !!

That's why my primary carry -and range gun - is still going strong after 150,000 rds in the last 10 yrs.... ( and it's a 5" 1911 from Wilson Combat in 9mm)....

Not against cleaning guns, but far more guns and gun parts are broken, lost, or improperly installed when "cleaning" than ever wore out or broke in normal service.

Nuf sed.

Jim

You are correct...

Not to mention, damage to finish.

Roy Huntington had an interesting article in American Handgunner several years ago, about excessive gun cleaning and the damage done to guns because of it.

I wipe them down after every trip and clean them occasionally.

This has stood me in good stead for over forty years. Don't think I'll change now.

With reloads and a lot of bullet lube, I might clean after a couple of sessions.

But with factory ammo of the jacketed variety, not so much. The guns
don't seem to need much more than a quick wipe down and a few strokes
of a brush in the barrel and in the case of revolvers, the cylinder chambers.

But then my range sessions usually consist of around 60 rounds total and I'm ready for lunch.

ALOX-based cast bullet lubes actually lay in high-pressure applied coating of auto body undercoating everytime you fire. So barring extremely humid/corrosive environments (like salt spray), I'll just let them be for a shooting season. (Includes 22s)

High power rifles I'll scrub with two wet patches (KG-1), two dry, one CLP/Mobile-1 Synthetic, ... and walk away.;)

Last edited:
Most guns I just sort of give a lick and a promise, but Smith & Wesson 22 revolvers get a little more attention in the cylinder. They're usually pretty dirty and sticky when I get them, and it takes a bit to get them clean. Not so much after that, but I make an effort to keep them clean.

My Ruger 10/22 gets cleaned every February 29th, rather it needs it or not.

For my black powder guns I'm a 10 (obvious reason). Otherwise, I'm probably a 6 or 7 -- bores done nicely with snakes plus chambers thoroughly cleaned with Hoppes and Ballistol. I don't field strip guns as that is an invitation to parts damage imo. I live vicariously thru various Youtubes of guys thoroughly cleaning this gun or that gun.

.02. David. :)

I clean them within a day or two. It rarely takes me more than five minutes per handgun. My FiL is ocd about it and thinks I don't get them clean enough, but I have been shooting regularly for about 35 years and have never had a firearm malfunction due to being dirty.

I try to clean them the day of use, and at least the next day.
Not so much because they really need it, more because if they lay around much longer, I'll forget and maybe months later find a rusty mess.
We live in a very humid place.
Good for the skin, but bad for iron.

I clean after each range visit or match. This allows me to check the condition of the gun and make any repairs before the next range day or match. I rarely have failure to feed, fire or eject and can't recall last malfunction or failure. I do a complete disassembly and deep clean about every 3-6 months depending on usage and gun.

Mine usually get same day cleaned. When in the safe I usually pull them out every month or so and oil them up and wipe them down. My CCW gets wiped down and oiled every week.

I clean the guns I'm going to the range with the night before my planned trip.
Then they are put away. Of course if I'm running old or corrosive ammo and the SRO allows I clean the bore out before I leave the firing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back