How do YOU hold an ar-15?

I use a version of the thumb-over grip out of muscle memory, but my hand is farther back just forward of the release ring for the forward hand grip. Keeping it back there helps force me to keep my left elbow tucked better so I don't pull shots to the left. When I use a VFG I also put it back as far as I comfortably can.. I stand square to the target, again force of habit from training in the Army while wearing a SAPI plate.. and you WANT to get hit in the plate if you are wearing one, they do work, I've seen it happen.

Depends on the rifle. I never grip a rifle magpul style, i can see the competition advantages but thats about all. The only difference in a standing position is if i stand square to the target (stance you learn in basic) or shooting across my body (how most people shoot rifles). And this is dictated by rifle weight/length of pull/balance.

I don't have an AR, but I've always shot my AK and every other rifle the normal way

shooting1-660x493.jpg

I tried holding it by the magwell but it's too awkward, and holding an AK the thumb over way is a a bad idea.

BTL - Can you tell me why the "thumb-over" is a "bad idea" for an AK?

If you shoot enough consecutive rapid fire rounds with an AK...you'll probably hold your support hand on the magazine --- because the forearm will be to hot too hold. Did you see the YouTube video: AK catches fire? No...that's not me in the video.

I've never shot my AR's rapid fire enough --- for my support hand --- to be to hot too hold on the forearm. Has anybody had such an experience? Anyway...a good pair of tactical gloves, will always be a help in hot barrel forearm hold situations.

Cheers,

Erno

When unsupported, I go thumb over and forefinger pointing towards the target. If I have a vertical grip, my ring and pinky fingers will be on the vertical grip as a reference point for consistency (pseudo AFG).

If I have to keep an unsupported stance for a long time, I might gradually move back to a thumb under grip closer to the mag-well to fight fatigue. (Need to work on the upper body strength a bit. :o )

I just don't see any need to hold an AR-pattern rifle any differently than any other rifle - which, for me, is hand on the forearm, under the barrel. I see no particular advantage inherent to any other technique.

Ben Dover said:
For normal shooting, I hold it the same way as any other pistol grip carbine.

For close quarters practice, I tuck the butt stock under my armpit, and slide my off hand as far forward I can on the hand guard, with my off hand over the top (palm down, thumb under the forward hand guard)

This gives great leverage if the gun is grabbed.
What kind of accuracy do you get with that?

Back