How Do You Feel About USED Guns?

Cold Steel

Especially autos. When you buy a great used gun like a S&W 645, 659, 5906 or various 1911 models, do you feel a need to replace the springs? Have you ever bought a lemon that left you with little doubt about why it was being sold?

And how about revolvers? Have you ever bought one that had timing issues, excess b/c gaps or other problems?

When you buy from a dealer, he usually stands behind it. But some people sell on the Internet and hope the buyer doesn't know how to check over a handgun or, better, that they'll just stuff it in a drawer. (I bought a Davis .32acp years ago that I made the mistake of tucking away without testing. I'd known the previous owner who said it had less than a box of ammo put through it. Last year, I finally tested it at the range and it jammed every few rounds, w/two types of ammo. People suggested I buy a new magazine and try it while others told me it was probably just a little tight and that it needed to be broken in. I'd had several Ravens, based on the same design, and they were flawless, so I got burned.)

What are your experiences?

All the guns I own I bought used, or were given to me.

I'm not usually a pistol guy, but have been enjoying my Hi-Point 40S&W, and have recently (ok, the other month) picked up a Springfield Armory Champion (45ACP, 4" barrel). Hand load for both, and really enjoy both.

So far every used Gun I've bought has been excellent. Sight unseen a Taurus 65, S&W 638.

From a local LGS a Taurus 66, Argentine 1911, S&W M&P Revolver, S&W model 19, S&W 6906. all in good used condition. never wanted to replace the springs on the semi-autos.

Gary

How Do You Feel About USED Guns?

What do I think about used guns?

Most of mine were "pre-owned". They're fine. Mind your warranty and the parts and service situation of the piece you're looking at.

I have no problem with used handguns. A good portion of my handguns came to me as used. For the most part, you can see any deficiencies when you look it over. I have not bought a used handgun sight unseen online though.

For my rifles I prefer new.

Yeah, there was a time back in the late 70s when a used gun in perfect shape sold almost as much as a new one. This was especially true of stainless guns and Ruger .22lr autos. But I bought an Interarms .44 magnum Astra revolver that was beautiful in appearance, but which suffered from end shake and an excessive b/c gap (.015). Living in Virginia at the time, I drove over to Interarms and showed the gun to one of their slimy sales reps. He said he didn't see anything wrong with the gun and that it was fine. But when he went and fetched a few of their own revolvers, he had to admit he was wrong. He took it and a few weeks later I picked it up and it was fine. Then there was the Virginian Dragoon .44 magnum, a beautiful stainless single-action. After shooting three rounds, the hammer shattered like glass. After repair, the gun shot wildly. I measured the chambers and discovered they were just holes. Both these guns were previously owned and purchased through published ads. Fortunately, the Dragoon also was an Interarms import. I called my new friend and he had it replaced while I had lunch there in Alexandria.

All others (except the aforementioned Davis) have been happy transactions. I have a Smith .45 auto, a Taurus 92 stainless, a Jennings J-22 and some revolvers. But I can't forget the lemons.

Most of my guns, including my best handguns have been bought used.
Seldom to I get stung.
One notable exception was a Marlin 336 I paid $200 bucks for & it looked pretty good.
A few days after I bought it I decided to give the bore a good cleaning prior to shootin git.
The bore cleaner took the PAINT off the barrel. Someone screwed with the bluing, made it look nasty so painted it with ordinary rattle can paint.
ALL of my 13 Smith revolvers were bought used, all in 95% condition, & I cherish those old Smiths.
Last summer I bought a Winchester .22, M-1906, pump action in about 75% condition for the princely sum of $75 bucks!
I've had a ball shooting that fine old rifle.
I'm a handgun person but have a number of rifles, most all used.
If you look them over well, know how to check for wear, you will seldom get stung.

Most used guns are barely broken in.

From your examples, 3rd and 4th gen Smith autos are usually sleeper bargains. Back when I was in the industry I can't tell you how many amazing bargains I missed on these guns.

1911's- eh, only if I knew what I was buying. I'd probably stick to things like Colt 1991s, Springfields, and avoid stuff like Auto Ordnance, AMT, PMT, RMT, Ranger, etc.

I'd pass on a lot of Colt revolvers due to issues with getting them repaired, particularly timing issues. I've seen enough bad with Rossi and Taurus to likely avoid. Ruger revolvers are a favorite.

As long as I can take a close look at it I am cool with used guns.
Many of my favorite guns were out of production before I was born.

With the S&W autos, I think the second generation is also astounding. I'd love to have a 639 (though I have a 3906). The first generation of 39s and 59s were awful. But I have a 659 and a 5906 and I cherish them both -- and the 3906 also is an astounding gun. They never malfunction and they're all gorgeous. In fact, I think they were the last of the really good-looking autos (except for possibly some 1911s which, if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Besides, very few, if any, 1911s I've seen at any price are anywhere near as reliable as any of these Smiths.)

Part of the problem, ColdSteel, is your choice of guns. A Davis - really? I'd bet a Ben Franklin that thing never shot right from day One. Import single-action revolvers? Just asking for trouble there. Not that I've never owned one or three of those types of gun myself, but I knew what I had and didn't expect much so I wasn't disappointed.

Now, speaking to the title of your OP, I have no problem buying used guns. Yes, of course just like any deal, you need to put on your critical glasses and check things out, you need to take as much emotion away as you can and be objective about what you're really getting so you don't miss a critical flaw.

My opinion is that most used guns for sale really haven't been shot that much. That's one of the main reasons guns are sold - the owner just doesn't get a lot of use out of them so out the door they go. Also, the guns from good manufacturers can handle 10s of thousands of rounds of ammo and still function fine, so used isn't a big deal. At least for a good quality gun. A Beretta 92FS I owned was a police buy-back that then had another 10K rounds through it with minimal cleaning and NO spring changes. I had a spring kit put in sometime after that and noted no difference whatsoever in function.

Last edited:
Problem? They're my favorite!

I purchase used guns almost exclusively. My only new ones were a 10/22 (because in this area, the used ones are almost as expensive as the new ones), and a Beretta PX4. Everything else is used, mostly from local face to face sales. Occasionally I will buy sight unseen, and have been happy with both- a Beretta Minx 4" and a S&W Model 19 4". I haven't had any issues with buying a used gun, and the most I end up replacing are magazines or grips. :)

I have only bought 3 handguns NIB. No problems with any of the others. OK, got my Walther P-38 at a good price, it was "broken"-safety would not engage. The problem ?-broken firing pin. $3 part and about a half hour's work. As other have said, many handguns have been firing very little, cleaned even less. regarding police turn ins, many show holster wear but as a gun guru said to me years ago "You don't shoot bluing."

The spring-changing thing is a recent Internet fad. It's not necessary in 90+% of the instances. If the springs are corroded or have been in a fire, they should be replaced. Otherwise, leave them alone.

I don't mean to pee in your Corn Flakes but Davis firearms have a poor
reputation & rank down on the list of excuses for firearms with
F.I.E., Titan, Raven, Hi Point, etc.
Of those Hi Point might, maybe, work a bit more reliably that the others.
Mostly these "firearms" are good for paperwieghts at best.
I sincerely hope you didn't spend over $50 bucks for that Davis.
Please understand comments posted here are not to belittle anyone but to
teach & advise.
Please, if you are a novice, ask quetions here before you buy any firearm.
All memebers here will be only to happy to help.:D

Used guns are fine. Give it a once over, and if everything looks ok, then buy it. Guns are tougher than most people give them credit for.

I've bought several used pistols and shotguns over the years. About the only thing I do when I buy a used gun is clean it and replace all of the springs.

All have functioned as well as a new gun.

The only gun I currently own that was bought new was an O/U Beretta that I picked up in Italy when I was in the Navy. Every other one was at least 2nd hand - most more than that.

Back