Houston I think we have a problem

jhinalabama

This is the end of my rem 700 sps tac .308 muzzle. That will not shoot a good group. What are your thoughts, this is the first one I have ever seen.rem 700 muzzle.JPG

Ouch! cutting 1/2" - 1" off the end might be an option of last resort if a smith can't repair it.

I'm no expert, but that looks like tool chatter to me. The QC never should have passed that one...

Call, then send it to Remington??

Discouraging, round count bore age ?
It is generally held that gun barrels wear-out from erosion in the throat. The picture looks more like the physical damage caused by something harder than (or as hard as) the barrel steel, like the steel core of a barrel brush breaking and jamming into the end of the rifling. In short, the problem was not caused by a high round count...somebody jammed something into the muzzle of that rifle that should not have been put there (if that gun was not new). Or it was a manufacturing defect...if the gun is new. If that defect is only near the muzzle, then as someone posted, the affected portion can be cut off and the barrel recrowned.

I suspect that damage had to be caused by something harder than the barrel steel, and therefore, was done during the manufacturing of the rifle.

Yes, it's a new rifle. I bought it new last year. I never could get it to group good. I had inspected the rifle for defects and could never find anything wrong with it until I used a magnifying glass. The picture picks up the defect very good.

A decent machine shop would be able to hone that out without cutting the barrel shorter.

Another alternative would be to counterbore it so as to create a deep
"target crown"

I sent Remington an email describing the problem. Remington's contact us form didn't have a place to attach a picture. I'll let you know what they say.

That may or may not be the problem with how your rifle shoots. There are plenty of posts around the web of rough barrels still shooting well. I'm guessing those are tool marks from making the barrel, and it's worth seeing if Remington will fix it. However, don't be surprised if a new barrel doesn't fix all your accuracy issues .

Just make sure you only fix one thing at a time.

Pics of tool chatter that I've seen on the interwebs are different from yours. Yours go all the way to the crown and your crown doesn't look all that well either. If Remington doesn't help you out, find a competent smith that can.

They will suggest that the crown be cut off and then they'll redo it. The question that you should have for Remington is how their QC let that leave the factory. That and who checked the barrel after it was reamed? Multiple QC fails on their end.

Good luck with whatever you end up with, if you were thinking about replacing the barrel with something better... now would be a good time.

Looks like the crown was completely off center and tilted, causing the tool to eat into the rifling. Remington should easily be able to realize that it is their fault, as to whether or not they will stand behind it, don't know.

Back