Horrible Mistake! :(

Sorry if I mistakenly assumed you thought there would be a half cock hammer on the smaller framed Blackhawk.
It's okay! I love you and appreciate everything you've taught me about revolvers over the years. You post some mighty fine pictures, but the real impressiveness is in your text and knowledge on the subject of these classic guns!!

Well if you decide to keep your New Model Blackhawk and want to get into the ‘innards’ of the thing you might be interested in these two videos from Ruger:

Tech Tip-Single-Action Disassembly (about three and a half minutes long)
https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271942&cat=3769277

Tech Tip-Single-Action Reassembly (about three minutes long)
https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271984&cat=3769277

In the videos the tech goes through step by step showing you how to disassemble and then reassemble the Ruger Single-Action revolvers.

Please note the Ruger tech takes a little under four minutes to disassemble the gun but he does it very slowly emphasizing safety and describing the tools he will be using. He takes about three minutes to put it back together but again he is doing it slowly step by step. I found I could do the disassembly in a smidge under three hours and got it back together in a shade over four hours. I did stop for lunch partway through the reassembly but I didn’t count my lunch break in the total time. Doing it again I’m pretty sure I could shave a few minutes off both disassembly and reassembly times. What I’m saying is it's doable and the bar is set pretty low. (Details of my personal tribulations will only be provided to those I consider to be beyond being shocked and appalled...no one on this site I think has a strong enough stomach.)

Good luck.

Over the years, I've bought guns that did not live up to my expectations. Could be they were at fault, may have been I was misinformed or just had too high of hopes. Better they went down the road to someone else that enjoyed them and actually used them, as opposed to them sitting unhappily in the safe. In a coupla cases, I know the folks that ended up with them, and they are very happy/satisfied with them, even tho I didn't want them around anymore. Don't make either of us right or wrong, just that we have different tastes. I see the same scenario here. Owner isn't happy, wants something else and is going to make it happen. Why is that a mistake?

I'll be sorry by getting the gun I had in mind originally?

Not to insult any standard Blackhawk owners here, but I'm just not digging it. Have been doing reload drills the past few days and just when I think I'm getting the hang of it, I'll go too far and have to spin the cylinder all the way around again, or I'll hit the cylinder face with the ejector rod etc.

The flattop is the only way forward at this point. It's what I originally wanted. I now know the truth.

I shoot both. I prefer the newer middle size frame (New Vaquero and 357/44S/45C Flattops) over the standard (larger) Blackhawk. So for someone who doesn't want a 44 Mag., I understand the preference for the mid frame with the cylinder locating plunger. The cylinder alignment (during loading/unloading) on the 5 shot Supers is nice as well.

The flattop is the only way forward at this point. It's what I originally wanted. I now know the truth.

If thats what you want then get it. I understand. For many years my "Grail" gun was a S&W model 631. I would find them but they were selling for $900+ and I just couldn't justify spending that much. I finally found one for sale on the S&W forum for $725. I sent the seller a PM and it was mine. And I never regretted getting just what I wanted either.

I looked on GB and the cheapest was $678 and all that were available were stainless steel. Nice looking guns.

Earlier in this thread I said apparently some
people are slow learners.

Another perspective comes from nine active
years in SASS (Cowboy Action Shooting) and
regularly manning the loading or unloading
table during the shoots.

I can't really recall any of the scores and scores
of shooters I monitored having trouble with their
Blackhawks or Vaqueros in their loading or
unloading. If a skipped cylinder chamber
did occur it was so seldom as not to be remembered.
These shooters applied themselves and the Ruger guns
proved to be excellent for the SASS sport.

The OP has a fine revolver and putting it up for sale
is someone else's gain and his loss. I say this
because I fear he won't be much happier with
a model with a cylinder ball detente.

Uberti might be the answer.

Earlier in this thread I said apparently some
people are slow learners.

The OP has a fine revolver and putting it up for sale
is someone else's gain and his loss. I say this
because I fear he won't be much happier with
a model with a cylinder ball detente.

You are correct about the slow learner thingy. Some folks just can't get it thru their head that the OP does not like the gun. What difference does it make why he doesn't like it? Just because others do, makes him a slow learner? Odds are there is more to the story, but it really doesn't matter. Some folks don't like stainless, some folks don't like certain calibers and some don't like specific guns because they're "ugly". I know of folks that hate the placement of the safety on Remington shotguns and thus have sold them because of it. Slow learners? No....they just know what they like or don't like and what others think ain't important since it's their money....their choice. Again, better the OP sells the gun and someone enjoys it. Kinda like my first wife. Her second husband thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread.........doesn't mean we shoulda stayed together.

Buck,

I fully understand your point of view.

But if someone posts an opinion, for or
against something, on an open forum
then counter opinions and views should
be expected.

So, the Flattop aligns the loading gate and chamber in a different manner than the standard Blackhawk?

I never realized that.

Hmm.

If you want this change- go for it. Glad you are getting what you want.

Personally, I have a Single-Six, .357Blackhawk, and .45lc/.45acp Blackhawk- plus SuperBlackhawk.

I've put steel grip frames on the .357Blackhawk and the single-six, as I like the balance better. I will do that to the .45lc/acp Blackhawk also, down the road.

I live in California, where carry is almost impossible. For self-defense, I've got bottom-feeders to choose from, or GP100.

For me, I wanted the standard .45lc/acp Blackhawk, so that I could experiment with 'ruger only' .45lc loads in it and not worry about a medium frame.

Interchangeability in size for my Ruger SA revolvers, and strength of frame, were more important to me than loading gate alignment.

And, I like fiddling with things, so getting a steel grip frame later on to swap out was worth it to me.

I am not saying that the OP shouldn't be doing this-but I just didn't see anywhere that they show the loading gate/chamber lining up on the cylinder lock/notch to allow smoother reloading.

If that is the main concern, and not the steel grip frame [or lack thereof], are you SURE you have the solution?

If it is the steel grip frame [as primary concern], then this is one of two ways to do it!

Good luck in your pursuit, and enjoy what you get!!!

If I have it correct the cylinder will stop with the loading gate and chamber lined up because of the plunger installed that drops into the ratchet and causes the cylinder to stop rotating before it has went too far.

The free spin hand will let you back the cylinder backwards to realign the charge hole. Thats what I posted in my earlier post. And you can do the modification yourself.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

Last edited:
From one who has both and prefers the mid frame...

The plunger doesn't prevent you from rotating the cylinder too far. But unlike the standard model, if you rotate slightly too far, you can back it up a little and it stops with the cylinder centered to the loading gate port for easy loading or ejection of empties.

I have lived with the standard frame for years (and still enjoy them), but I do consider the plunger of the mid-frame a desirable feature. And I think many who have actually used both will prefer the plunger feature, especially if they are content with 357, 44 Special, or standard 45 Colt loads.

You already have a thread going on this gun, but you need another one to declare it a horrible mistake. Since the action hasn't really changed since the early 70's and there are thousands of internet reviews and discussions, your breathless rant seems a bit absurd.

The gun is wildly popular and has an excellent plus reputation, so I think your rant is way off the mark. You could have just said you want to sell it because it didn't work out for you.

You already have a thread going on this gun, but you need another one to declare it a horrible mistake. Since the action hasn't really changed since the early 70's and there are thousands of internet reviews and discussions, your breathless rant seems a bit absurd.

The gun is wildly popular and has an excellent plus reputation, so I think your rant is way off the mark. You could have just said you want to sell it because it didn't work out for you.
Yeah you're probably right.

I just looked at your post in the sell section. How in the heck did you get that turn line in the cylinder?

Just for the heck of it, send it back to Ruger, there might actually be something wrong with it. They might fix your problem and return the gun with a new cylinder and the timing problem fixed.

Bob

Last edited:
If it's a standard Blackhawk, they won't change anything in the cylinder rotation's barrel/chamber alignment, it's just what that action does.
Denis

Bobhouse,

Turn line?

Looks pretty normal to me.

Ruger's cylinder stop/bolt pops early and is
typical of its design in the post 1973 models.

Any amount of dry firing or shooting will start
to produce such a line.

The early engagement of the bolt allows for
fast shooting since the bolt will pop into
the cylinder notch positively. In heavy
shooting for the Colt SAA a longer
lede is cut for the cylinder notch and
heavier spring is installed for the bolt
itself. Otherwise the cylinder is apt
to fly by the notch. This plus the
SAA lockwork is totally different than
the New Blackhawk.