Honest opinions on Ruger Precision Rifle

At the risk of sounding facetious (which I'm not trying to do) I have a few questions about the RPR.......

What's the difference (mechanically) between the RPR and their regular rifles other than some tactical type furniture and AR type magazines?

Is the action different than the M77's?

Are the barrels anything other than Rugers standard factory offerings?

I guess in general what I wonder is what makes this rifle any better than any of their others accuracy wise?....If the main factors in accuracy like the barrel, action and trigger are no different than the run of the mill Ruger what is the appeal other than how the rifle looks? (Which I think is really cool!)

Bore line is much lower, so recoil management is easier. The barrels are more accurate than standard Rugers. Easy barrel change and excellent adjustability. All $ savers. It is not a hunting rifle, it is a precision rifle.

bought Savage 10t (cabella's special) for $530 in 6.5cm, bull barrel

Nice.. can't say I'd blame you. That's a pretty sweet deal. I don't have a Cabelas anywhere near me so I haven't heard of that model before.

That's a lot of money saved you can buy ammo with!

I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver. if you are into long range shooting you will not do better for the price.

It is not a hunting rifle, it is a precision rifle.

That's a key point, actually - because I've seen numerous posts around on the gun-boards in threads on the RPR in which at least a few posters ask about, or discuss, its utility for hunting applications.

If you want the RPR for hunting, you're looking at the wrong rifle. It's a dedicated precision rig for proned-out target shooting, not for humping around the hills and boonies after deer, elk, moose, etc.

Even for stationary hunting - say, sniping at coyotes coming in on a call or for hogs coming into a baited stand - there are better choices (in the same calibers) that'll get the job done.

The RPR (I call it the "ripper") would also make a great weapon for LEO snipers. I wouldn't be surprised if some tactical units adopt or have adopted it for precision standoff/overwatch roles.

Depending on how you hunt, I totally disagree with the RPR not being a hunting rifle.

I found long ago you find more game setting and glass then thrashing trough the woods.

My wife's main purpose for wanting her RPR was elk hunting. We've always be quite successful setting up in a certain spot and glassing, maybe not every day, but at least once every three days, we spot them coming out of the timber heading for a creek and alders at the bottom.

The closest shot your going to get at that spot is 300 yards. Easy to set up, and get a good solid prone position without any humping. You'll get shots from 300 to 600 yards, with all the time in the world.

Of course with the 6.5 this will take proper bullet selection. I know for a fact that the Berger 140 VDL for hunting is devastating on the heart/lung area of Elk.

But again, she knows LR Shooting and practice shooting at distance far greater then she would shoot game.

Kraigwy, while I agree with you. That is an outlier. I shot some Pronghorn with my .260, some deer with a .308 pattern AR and I will likely shoot some with the RPR .243. BUT, I know from reading your posts that you (and your wife) have an advanced skillset and hunt ethically as well.

I glass and stalk more than anything as well, regardless of whether I am using a Bow, ML, pistol or rifle. But I am always hesitant to post anything about shooting game past about 200 yards since the average hunter should really stay inside 200, and many inside 100. I can drive to the range and get a 1st shot hit on a 10" plate at 645 yards. I have done that cold bore numerous times. And that is what worries me...taking shots at game involves so much more. Wind, DA, animal behavior and that intimate knowledge of the firearms capability and terminal ballistics.

I assume you would agree with me that every hundred yards requires a corresponding increase in skill and knowledge...something most hunters do not need, and many will never have the access or desire to acquire.

The RPR (I call it the "ripper") would also make a great weapon for LEO snipers. I wouldn't be surprised if some tactical units adopt or have adopted it for precision standoff/overwatch roles.

I would generally agree, but with the caveat of the stock being changed to a LMT or PRS or other similar stock. The Ruger has the levers...snag one and you are done. I have a photo on my phone of the positions in case I flip one open. But once I am done with Production in PRS, that stock is coming off the RPR.

Markco, I agree with your point about the limited range of the average shooter.
Maybe I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but the average shooter shoots bucks brush with a 30-30, or similar gun,

They arnt' likely to pay $1500 for a RPR and more for the glass it needs.

One needs confidence in his rifle ammo, mainly confidence in his zero. You can't do anything with out a zero.

One needs to know when not to shoot more then when to shoot.

Many years ago, at twilight I was sent to dispatch a dog, it had to be done or some kid was going to have to go through a series of rabies shots.

I did, it was running across an open gravel pit about 250 yards, I stuck the rifle out the window of the patrol car (didn't have time to get out and get a position) and shot it. No rabies shot. It was in a highly developed area and the Patrol Capt., concerned of what could have gone wrong, confronted me: "what if you missed". I simply said "if I thought I would miss, I wouldn't have shot".

Not that I'm such a great moving target shooter, I'm not. Its just I had confidence in this particular shot.

There is no shame in coming back and saying you didn't get a shot, the shame comes with the miss.

RPR or any other rifle shooting requires confidence that only comes with having a good zero and practice. Lots and lots of practice.

Ruger Precision Rifle, just named American Rifleman (NRA MAGAZINE) Rifle of the Year.

I might have to buy one just to see what all the hub bub is about. While, I just dont get it, it maybe me and not the gun.

These are selling like hot cakes and there is a lot of internet buzz. Most who buy a gun like to boast about their judgement and feel good about it. And those who dont, have other views. The only way to find out is pay up and try one.

No doubt, Ruger pays for a lot of advertising. I know that. If the Op is looking for opinions, the American Rifleman did a review this year and now this endorsement follows. I think the testing is fair, the rifle of the year maybe more subjective. Maybe the American Rifleman review can be found on-line?

I have been to SHOT show several times. I have worked Range days for gun writers and frankly, I would take a personal review here over a review in AR. The competency of most gunwriters is pitiful. Sure, there are a few good ones, but not a lot.:(

Back in the days of Elmer, Skeeter, Cooper, Ackley, Whelen and the boys I enjoyed reading gun rags.
Over the course of time things changed so I no longer read gun rags, if I did I certainly would not put a lot of stock in what's printed.

As for the Ruger precision rifle, like all things in life, first hand experience is the best teacher.
As I said earlier I had the hots for one, but in reality I know my old Remington 700 Varmint model shooting 95 gr Nosler BT bullets at 3100fps will do what I need for longer range shooting, so I'll stick with it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

These are selling like hot cakes and there is a lot of internet buzz. Most who buy a gun like to boast about their judgement and feel good about it. And those who dont, have other views.

The primary appeal to the RPR is that one can buy a "sexed out" rifle for ~$1500. No more starting with either a "donor rifle", ordering a bunch of parts to trick it out, then either waiting forever to get them in one place, or after the job is done figuring out what to do with the leftovers.

When I got the "itch" for a chassis rifle I took a proven barreled action and mounted it in an MDT TAC21 chassis with PRS Stock and Atlas QD bipod.

Got exactly the same "Look" I wanted.

Time will tell if the RPR is a great factory precision rifle or "just another pretty face".

Sure like mine-have the 6.5 Creedmoor and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever had, though the Model 700 .308 5r Milspec I just got is right there with it.

I'm not one that will be winning competitions due to my skills, though I at least "decent"-have had it to the range twice and the best I've done was 5 shots within 5/8" and 4 of those within 5/16".

My 700 5r has also been to the range twice and have shot several 5/8" groups with 3 inside 3/8".

Back